Kennedy

A Dem Voter Tries To Reach Dem Politicians

(intro only, per copyright)
Click link for argument

Dear Gun Control Democrats: 6 Ways to Make a Better Argument

Dear Gun Control Democrats:

It’s been less than a week since national gun control in America died. No “assault weapons” ban. No “high-capacity” magazine ban. Not even the Manchin-Toomey background check compromise that, according to Senator Mark Kirk, was reached by getting drunk on a 54-foot mega-yacht named Black Tie, which is part-owned by Manchin.

Over the last several days, I’ve watched Democratic politicians, lobbyists and Facebook meme-sharers calling down shame on the senators who voted against every single gun control measure proposed in the Senate. Yes, it’s true that none of the measures would have passed the Republican-controlled House anyway, but to have lost in the Democrat-controlled senate was to truly be trounced. I have seen the Democratic pundits all over the nation looking across their podiums and well-lit television studio desks with stunned expressions. “How could this have happened,” they all ask? Only four months after Newtown?

I write this letter as someone who is politically far left of center. You and I have a lot in common, though you may not want to admit it by the end of this article. I think it’s time we had a talk.

I live in the state of Virginia, a place where it’s not easy to be a leftist. Just last week, our State Board of Health voted to approve TRAP (Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers) regulations that would close most abortion clinics in the state. It was a devastating loss for myself and other organizers, and it will be even more devastating to the women of Virginia, most of whom will not have access to safe, legal abortions for years to come. I mention this not only so that you have context for the sort of political work I’m involved in, but because I want you to know that *I do know*, from very recent experience, what it’s like to feel powerless as you watch a group of people vote for social policy that you think is absolutely insane.

But I’ll be honest with you: I watched the Senate votes live on Wednesday, and when these gun-related bills were defeated, I literally celebrated. Obviously, you and I have a lot in common, but plenty to differ on. And that’s kind of what I want to talk to you about.

snip

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Not only does he make a clear and reasoned argument, he even sites his evidence (by links instead of references).

Folks like this guys are why I'll listen to folks without knowing or caring about their party of preference. And why I hate the false dichotomy of a two party system.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Folks like this guys are why I'll listen to folks without knowing or caring about their party of preference. And why I hate the false dichotomy of a two party system.

+1
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It would appear there're are a lot more Republican voters in favor of background checks than there are democratic voters who oppose them.

The old " I'm a leftist liberal democrat and even I think this is wrong" is getting old. I remember just last year people supposedley saying " I voted for Obama in 08 but there's no way I would vote for him again".

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/opinion/gun-control-a-republican-lashes-out-at-his-party.html?_r=0

It would appear there're are a lot more Republican voters in favor of background checks than there are democratic voters who oppose them.

The old " I'm a leftist liberal democrat and even I think this is wrong" is getting old. I remember just last year people supposedley saying " I voted for Obama in 08 but there's no way I would vote for him again".

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/opinion/gun-control-a-republican-lashes-out-at-his-party.html?_r=0

Compare and contrast the article I posted to yours. Besides changing parties and positions, what is different?
Hint 1: see if the article you posted broke any of the suggestions in my link.
Hint 2: did your article suggest any way to improve anything, even communication?
Hint 3: did you article put forth any reasons or support its position in any way?

That aside, I doubt ninety percent of people would agree it's a bad idea to detonate nuclear warheads over American soil. How can 90% support checks by everyone if so few are upset about the bill in DC failing, and less than half think we need new gun laws or that gun laws should be a priority in DC? If that poll question were rewritten to be honest, do you think you'd get 90%?
A)"All commercial gun dealers are already required to complete normal background checks at gun shows and at all other times and locations. Do you support a new law to require all private citizens to conduct a background check on others at gun shows?"
B) "Do you support a new law to require private citizens to conduct background checks on other private citizens at all times and places for all purchases?"
C) "if yes, do you think this would have any effect on gun violence rates?"

Finally, I noticed you had to limit your post to background checks. What's the matter? Can't find any polls anywhere that say Americans favor banning the most popular rifles in the country? Or banning normal magazines? Or any of the other bad ideas in the dead legislation?
witty subliminal message
1*

Yes, most excellent. I might disagree with a couple of them, but that's a personal disagreement, not a "stupid argument" disagreement.

The mixed messages one is the hardest -- it's impossible to have a whole range of people, all of the "same party," talking, and not send mixed messages. But that goes back to the false two-party dichotomy.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Of the 48,000 convicted felons that lied on their back ground checks, only 44 were prosecuted? Doesn't this all go back to "enforce the laws that are on the book"?

And the point of adding new laws and expecting that the government would be able to enforce those is kind of stinging...B|

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Great article. I was so impressed with it that I posted it to my facebook page.

I love it when people reference their material with hyperlinks and everything....
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Of the 48,000 convicted felons that lied on their back ground checks, only 44 were prosecuted?

Is the screening supposed to stop them from getting guns, or to provide a means of prosecution? I.e. is it similar to an age restriction for buying liquor? How many kids are prosecuted for trying to buy liquor, vs. how many actually try?

The cost of all those prosecutions and subsequent jailings probably isn't worth it.

I still like the Iowa "can buy a gun" card (renewable), or the thought that the check-you-out database is instantly available to everyone. That second one has privacy concerns -- that might, in fact, be the cost of implementation. But both of them are stops ahead of the purchase, rather than a (more expensive and time-consuming) fix after it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)