Skyrad

Suicide rate in USA now higher than road deaths

But, you don't live here. So it makes no difference.

Plenty of friends there. Plenty of family, too (dad's from Boston originally, still plenty of aunts, uncles, cousins and my last remaining grandparent over there too). My dual citizenship trumps your lazy dismissal. American policy has global repercussions, to suggest anyone outside your borders can't have a valid opinion is arrogance in the extreme.

You sound like an American half breed? I'm a quarter yankee, and it gives he goose bumps.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Pretty much. I get enough connection to get a say, but enough distance to have a decent filter. Sidepoint: Dad's been here several decades, and despite coming from quite a blue state he's very conservative. We don't talk much, but discussing the upcoming elections last year I was quite surprised when he predicted that Romney didn't have a chance and that he was glad about it. Make of that what you will, regarding how the GOP has evolved...
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

I don't despise Obama either. He's no better or worse than many past Presidents. It is, however the height of hypocrisy to provide guns to drug dealers and then go to Mexico and blame it on others. In fact, the first tried to blame the guns from Fast and Furious on straw purchases and as a justification for more guns laws.

I'm with you on the drone program. Makes me very uncomfortable. Dislike a the cameras too.

My own personal feeling about the suicide rate is because you have an entire generation growing up thinking they are entitled and special. Then they face the real world and realize they are not.

To bad their parents never equipped them with the skills to hack it. Maybe we can invent a video game to teach them life skills since they are not allowed to leave the house any more without someone calling child protective services.

And no, "Grand Theft Auto" should not be the game they use...:$

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

From my (admittedly) limited experience, the FnF purchases were prime examples of straw purchases. Monitored, yes, and inadequately handled. But legal, or at least very easily accomplished under existing legislation. I'll need to do more research to debate properly, for now it's after midnight on a saturday and I've had a bottle of red and a couple of pints, I bid you goodnight... :P

You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

DITTO. The parents were already swallowed up, and gave us a new generation complete with student loan and credit card debt, and their government now talks about forgiving student loans.

The school counselor got a raise for steering them into PhDs in Underwater Basket Weaving

DITTO. The parents were already swallowed up, and gave us a new generation complete with student loan and credit card debt, and their government now talks about forgiving student loans.

The school counselor got a raise for steering them into PhDs in Underwater Basket Weaving

You mean my PhD in underwater basket weaving won't get me a job with enough income to pay off my student loan?

Well fuck, if the government doesn't bail me out, I might as well go kill myself. My future is fucked....:S
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

You mean my PhD in underwater basket weaving won't get me a job with enough income to pay off my student loan?

Well fuck, if the government doesn't bail me out, I might as well go kill myself. My future is fucked....:S
If the school counselor left out the part about, "knowing how to swim", you are already "fucked".:|

VETERAN SUICIDE: TRUTH AND INACTION
By fwuco | February 19, 2013 - 12:34 PM |

Over the past several weeks, I have been working with a group of veterans, advocates and investigators who, to my surprise, were largely comprised of Veterans for Obama leaders. Several of these individuals were Democratic strategists who worked closely with Barack Obama when he was a U.S. Senator and during the President’s 2008 campaign. These men personally developed Barack Obama’s narrative regarding Veteran’s affairs and guided his campaign’s declarations that an Obama Administration would represent a sea-change in Veteran’s health and care, both mental and physical. Shocking as it may be to those among Barack Obama’s cult-like following of mesmerized masses, there are principled Democrats, who are Veterans, who very much happen to care more about the lives of their brothers and sisters-in-arms than they do about propagandizing the otherworldly mystique of the man they once supported. They even accept that, in short order, team Obama will begin to destroy them and their will to continue.

These veterans don’t care about Barack Obama. He has lied to them and marginalized them. Problem is, they live their lives for others, not themselves. That’s what separates them from politicians, like the President they once believed in. They (these Democrats), now wax nostalgic about how responsive Republican President George W. Bush was when they blew the whistle on the horrid conditions at Walter Reed Medical Center. “Bush fired people. Bush got engaged, personally. Bush made immediate changes and he talked to us while he quietly visited Walter Reed.

http://www.frankwuco.com/veteran-suicide-truth/
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Who gives a shit? It's mostly men killing themselves after all. If it were women, I might give a shit.

I'm not sure if you are really that callous or just playing Devil's Advocate here.
?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You're using the problem of Iraq/Afghanistan-era veteran suicide to take a partisan bash at Obama in this thread? That's pretty fucked up, Ron, even for you. But it doesn't merit a response on point.

Maybe you need to hunker back down.

You're using the problem of Iraq/Afghanistan-era veteran suicide to take a partisan bash at Obama in this thread? That's pretty fucked up, Ron, even for you. But it doesn't merit a response on point.

Maybe you don't remember that as a candidate, obama promised to get the troops home, and in reality they faced more deployments. Now there are questions on how many thousands will stay after they all come home? According to my friend, a retired LTC/contractor in Afghanistan, we are still building up installations there, and there is no end in sight. Before he went to Afghanistan, I tried to warn him of my 38 mos 11 days in Vietnam and how we walked in the end. Now he knows; only we aren't walking anytime soon. Your president has been less than truthful when it comes to foreign policy and committing American lives. The more he kills, the less votes against him (or hillary). Remember, Bush has been long gone, and barrybarack was going to give us "change"? That wasn't a lie.

Its simple, the economic downturn is causing it. People have less money, they drive less, less people are killed on the roads, also they get depressed so they end up killing themselves.

See for yourself, the number of fatalities on the roads per year:

2000 41,945
2001 42,196
2002 43,005
2003 42,884
2004 42,836
2005 43,510
2006 42,708
2007 41,259
2008 37,423
2009 33,883
2010 32,885
2011 32,367

steady until 2008 and the a massive near 25% drop afterwards.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Who gives a shit? It's mostly men killing themselves after all. If it were women, I might give a shit.

I am unable to find the data at this point, but I believe that in terms of suicide *attempts*, women are much more likely. But their preferred methods (poisoning in particular) are much less likely to end in death than shooting (preferred by men).

You made his point, who cares how many men are killing themselves if there are women *attempting* to kill themselves. It is the scientific truth:

Examining Gender Differences in Risk Factors for Suicide Attempts Made 1 and 7 Years Later in a Nationally Representative Sample

Conclusions

However, even though the content of the prevention programming could be consistent for boys and girls, our findings suggest that they should target young females, as they belong to the demographic subgroup that is at a greater risk for making a suicide attempt.

In other words, who gives a fuck how many men are killing themselves as long as young chicks are attempting to kill to themselves.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

BHO is a factor in veteran suicides. I can't be partisan. I am not a party member.

The OP concerned suicide rate in the U.S. Veteran suicides are computed in that rate determination.

Bottom line, if I got your disgruntled attention, I've done my job.;)
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Maybe you don't remember that as a candidate, obama promised to get the troops home, and in reality they faced more deployments. Now there are questions on how many thousands will stay after they all come home? According to my friend, a retired LTC/contractor in Afghanistan, we are still building up installations there, and there is no end in sight. Before he went to Afghanistan, I tried to warn him of my 38 mos 11 days in Vietnam and how we walked in the end. Now he knows; only we aren't walking anytime soon. Your president has been less than truthful when it comes to foreign policy and committing American lives. The more he kills, the less votes against him (or hillary). Remember, Bush has been long gone, and barrybarack was going to give us "change"? That wasn't a lie.

I remember as a candidate that he promised not so much to bring everybody home, but to get out of Iraq and turn the focus on Afghanistan and Al Queda; to go after Osama Bin Laden like we should have been doing for so many years before.

..... or am I not remembering that correctly? And I forget, how exactly that plan worked out for him? Oh, yea-- Bin Laden is dead, and we've pulled troops out of Iraq and they're in Afghanistan. How is that less than truthful?

He campaigned on that, and that was the "change" I voted for. I'm not saying the guy is a saint, and I for sure do not agree with all of his policies, but I will defend him with regards to your post because you're throwing him under the bus for something that is pretty much b.s.

From Factcheck regarding Obama's "bring troops home" promise:

Obama has largely kept his promise to “be a president who ends this war in Iraq and finally brings our troops home.” In a speech back in October, Obama announced that the U.S. was ending its nine-year war in Iraq, and that “as promised, the rest of our troops in Iraq will come home by the end of the year.” While the majority of the 40,000 troops still stationed in Iraq were brought home in time for the holidays, not all were. As Stars and Stripes reported, some 4,000 members of the 1st Cavalry Division’s 1st Brigade were reassigned from Iraq to Kuwait to complete the second half of the brigade’s tour.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I am unable to find the data at this point, but I believe that in terms of suicide *attempts*, women are much more likely. But their preferred methods (poisoning in particular) are much less likely to end in death than shooting (preferred by men).

Your reply is offensive. This is the same worthless response given every time men's higher rate of suicide is brought up. Perhaps we should actually focus on why men kill themselves much more frequently instead of pointing out that women attempt suicide as a cry for help more often. You've proven my point that people only care about the emotional welfare of women even as men are dying in droves.

I'm not sure if you are really that callous or just playing Devil's Advocate here.
?

Your uncertainty if I was being sarcastic (which I was) shows how commonly accepted the idea of male disposability is in our society. Not caring about men dying is pretty standard.

Your reply is offensive. This is the same worthless response given every time men's higher rate of suicide is brought up. Perhaps we should actually focus on why men kill themselves much more frequently instead of pointing out that women attempt suicide as a cry for help more often. You've proven my point that people only care about the emotional welfare of women even as men are dying in droves.

That you disagree with his reply reflects upon the issue being discussed.
That you find his response "offensive" reflects upon you. I say this not unmindful that there's another thread in which you just told Quade "You're so full of shit."
Your frothing-at-the-mouth anger tends to overwhelm your posts and the messages you're trying to convey. A lot. I don't expect for an instant that you'll calm the fuck down because I say you really need to calm the fuck down; but dude, you really need to calm the fuck down.

Who the fuck do I think I am to tell you that? Nobody in particular, really.

That you disagree with his reply reflects upon the issue being discussed.
That you find his response "offensive" reflects upon you. I say this not unmindful that there's another thread in which you just told Quade "You're so full of shit."
Your frothing-at-the-mouth anger tends to overwhelm your posts and the messages you're trying to convey. A lot. I don't expect for an instant that you'll calm the fuck down because I say you really need to calm the fuck down; but dude, you really need to calm the fuck down.

Who the fuck do I think I am to tell you that? Nobody in particular, really.

You seem to be the one frothing at the mouth here. I'm fine, thanks. I stand by what I've said and I'm sorry you can't handle a little hyperbole.

No, this is BS.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8389778.stm Adding 30,000 more troops in Afghanistan for "world security", and giving the enemy a withdrawal date at the same time was brilliant. There is no date for removal of all Americans. We have a broken military with broken equipment. Oh yeah, the CIA and Special Ops got obl; barack hussein obama just gave a nod from a chair and took all the credit. This is a man who refrains from using the word "terrorism". PS The iranians have more pull with iraq, but we still have a presence there.

?

Your uncertainty if I was being sarcastic (which I was) shows how commonly accepted the idea of male disposability is in our society. Not caring about men dying is pretty standard.

Actually, it indicates that you have a posting history that makes it difficult for anyone to presume irony or sarcasm rather than to just assume you mean what you write.

And it seems a bit misogynistic to say that the problem for women isn't real because they're not really trying to kill themselves, they're just making lame cries for help.

?

Actually, it indicates that you have a posting history that makes it difficult for anyone to presume irony or sarcasm rather than to just assume you mean what you write.

And it seems a bit misogynistic to say that the problem for women isn't real because they're not really trying to kill themselves, they're just making lame cries for help.

I didn't say the problem wasn't real for women, just pointing out that men commit suicide much more often than women. You said women "attempt it" more often, which misses the point. Suicide is when you successfully kill yourself, not almost OD'ing on drugs.

When someone points out a problem that effects men much more than women, they are a "misogynist," but if someone points out a way women have it worse, they are a hero fighting for equality.

Perhaps that's why men kill themselves much more often, because they aren't allowed to be a victim like women are. No one cares much about the welfare of men. Women can more easily ask for help.