wayneflorida

US involvement in Siria?

Siria government forces have possibly cross Obama's red line by using gas against the rebels.

Not completely confirmed yet according to the press.

What should the US do?

How come no option of "sell surplus Sarin to Syrian government and turn a profit for once?"

I vote fuck Syria, let them sort it out themselves, send humanitarian aid to the refugees who get out but otherwise stay out of it.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will America's heart, her benedictions and her prayers be. But she goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own. She will recommend the general cause, by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example. She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself, beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom. The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force…. She might become the dictatress of the world: she would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit. America's glory is not dominion, but liberty. Her march is the march of the mind. She has a spear and a shield: but the motto upon her shield is, Freedom, Independence, Peace. "

What should the US do?

US should wait until there is a clear chain of evidence linking the Syrian regime with the weapons, and those weapons with the materials analysed that indicate the use of Sarin, etc.

We should have learned our WMD lessons in Iraq.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

US should wait until there is a clear chain of evidence linking the Syrian regime with the weapons, and those weapons with the materials analysed that indicate the use of Sarin, etc.

Oh, fuck that. We heard it from the reliable friend of a reliable friend.
Lock & load!

>Oh, fuck that. We heard it from the reliable friend of a reliable friend. Lock & load!

We can't wait for the final proof -- the smoking gun if you will -- that could come in the form of a Sarin cloud.

We sure jumped the gun over Iraq's WMDs, didn't we?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think (hope) Bill was paraphrasing some speechifying during the lead up to Iraq 2.0. Maybe replace sarin cloud with mushroom cloud? Not sure though.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I spent a couple of weeks in Syria a couple of years back, absolutely wonderful place. Assad may have been a bit ruthless but at least his government was secular, and was more or less stable. Who knows what's going to happen if we get involved. Let them hash it out Look at what happened to us in Libya by the group we sided with.

You would think after Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya that we would have learned that nothing good happens when we get involved in that area.

>Oh, fuck that. We heard it from the reliable friend of a reliable friend. Lock & load!

We can't wait for the final proof -- the smoking gun if you will -- that could come in the form of a Sarin cloud.

We sure jumped the gun over Iraq's WMDs, didn't we?

Not so fast. I think Syria is using Iraq's now.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

What should the US do?

It's not in your poll, but- I'd support US involvement in a multinationally-participated no-fly zone similar to what was done in Libya, preferably (but not mandatorily) pursuant to a UN resolution, and as long as there was at least one other Muslim (preferably Arab) country whose warplanes were participating in Syrian airspace.

I do not agree to giving weapons to Syrian rebels on the ground. They would almost certainly make their way to Hezbollah fairly quickly.

>>I do not agree to giving weapons to Syrian rebels on the ground. They would almost
>>certainly make their way to Hezbollah fairly quickly.

>Hezbollah is on Assad's side, you have it backwards.

We have made that mistake before. The Stinger missiles we gave to the Mujaheddin to fight the evil Russkies were used against us less than a generation later by their descendents, Al Qaeda.

I do not agree to giving weapons to Syrian rebels on the ground. They would almost certainly make their way to Hezbollah fairly quickly.

Hezbollah is on Assad's side, you have it backwards.

I wasn't clear. I meant that once Assad fell, which I do think is inevitable, the present rebels - who currently seem to have some loose ties to al Quaeda, will be the new guys in power, and there will be a realignment. the former rebels will reach an accommodation with Hezbollah, and that will include some transfer of materiel in the long run. Over the short run, weapons to rebels will probably bleed-over into al Quaeda units. And al Quaeda and Hezbollah have overlapping (even if not identical) agendas, as well as common enemies. But yes, I could have said it better.

What should the US do?

That sounds much like our process for preventing North Korea from completing its nuclear weapon development. Wait and see worked beautifully, didn't it?

We should have learned our WMD lessons in Iraq.

the ones whose existence (only destruction) was never in doubt? Hell, even the (non) existence of the nuclear program was never actually in doubt - the Bush Administration just lied about it.

>>I do not agree to giving weapons to Syrian rebels on the ground. They would almost
>>certainly make their way to Hezbollah fairly quickly.

>Hezbollah is on Assad's side, you have it backwards.

We have made that mistake before. The Stinger missiles we gave to the Mujaheddin to fight the evil Russkies were used against us less than a generation later by their descendents, Al Qaeda.

It did seem like a good idea at the time. The bottom line is we don't really have a good track record in the area and we should just let evolution take it's course. We don't now, nor will we ever understand that part of the world.