lawrocket

ESA Says Space Junk Must Be Removed

A collision there certainly would cause a very bad day, which would cause chain reactions making geosynchronous orbits unusable for the next 50,000 years

I was responding to this really overboard analysis. Why would a collision make the Clarke Belt unusable for 50,000 years?

Because it's the one useful orbit that has one and only one altitude. "Just go a bit below it" doesn't make geostationary. neither does above it. All these satellites at one altitude means problems if one breaks up.

And - no, they are not separated by a minimum of 2 degrees. some of them are within 50 miles of each other. In others, they are several thousand miles apart.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Your angle is greater than 90 degrees.

An acute observation.

Don't be obtuse.

And now we've come full circle.

Let's not go off on a tangent.

I am diametrically opposed to that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

An acute observation.

Don't be obtuse.

We're running parallel trains of thought.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

An acute observation.

Don't be obtuse.

And they'll never converge, which, of course, explains Speakers Corner... :P
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

An acute observation.

Don't be obtuse.

And they'll never converge, which, of course, explains Speakers Corner... :P

Go to the roundhouse, Nellie! They can't corner you there!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Gravitational effects from the Earth, Moon & Sun are the primary cause to GEO satellites to do small maneuvers to keep inside their operating "box".

The 4 inch (10 cm) and larger objects are discussed in articles because that is the advertised fidelity US assets can track, the number of objects less than 10 cm that can still kill a spacecraft is orders of magnitude more in number.

LEO (Low Earth Orbit) breakups/collisions/shoot downs can generate thousands of trackable and 10s of thousands of untrackable debris. These debris will start roughly in the same orbits but over the period of a few weeks they spread out and just increase the background debris flux. Debris from energetic events spread everywhere, think of an explosion, the forward facing structure gets velocity added to it as debris so it's orbit will increase, stuff in the back will decrease, and everything else will get perturbed orbits.

Big mess, between the Chinese Fengyun 1C shootdown & Iridium/COSMOS collision the past few years our collision avoidance operations for the ISS went up 3-400%. Bring on the BFL.

Interesting article on point.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/05/02/russian-space-junk-almost-destroys-nasa-telescope/

Russian space junk almost destroys NASA telescope

Yeah. I saw that last week and was interested. They did it not because they knew it the objects would collide but did not know that they would not collide.

I've been going through this for a while now and becoming more convinced that my initilal proposition was in error. Due to the speeds involved, the permutations increase and so do the chances of a collision over time. So chances of, say, the Space Shuttle hitting something are miniscule. But the ISS - which has been continuously occupied since late 2000 - has mathematics to worry about. Chances of hitting something in 100 orbits are much less than the chances of hitting something in 80,000 orbits.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Hi Randy :ph34r:. This is the real world, isnt' it

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)