quade

And now the disturbing thought; surveillance society just vindicated?

We now have conclusive proof living in a surveillance society works.

Hmmm...I don't even know what to make of that right now.

Yes, it was an amazing thing to watch unfold and right now people in Boston are literally cheering police as they drive by -- and rightly so. I just don't know what this means long term.

Does this mean more formalized security cameras placed throughout society or does it mean more societal involvement in crowd sourced data? Both?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Between the cameras, the drones, the electronic nature of modern commerce, CISPA, and the fact that data never dies, I think we have to realize and accept that everything you do outside your home, or even at home interacting with the outside, will be recorded. What we have to do is have a rational discussion about what we want done with it all. We have to address the changes and decide what procedures and limits we would like.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

One could make an argument that if everyone wore Google Glass, (and streamed the video to a remote server), the authorities could get photo evidence even if the victim was kidnapped or dead.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yes, it was an amazing thing to watch unfold and right now people in Boston are literally cheering police as they drive by -- and rightly so. I just don't know what this means long term.

Does this mean more formalized security cameras placed throughout society or does it mean more societal involvement in crowd sourced data? Both?

Certainly seems that if someone in Boston (or any major city) wants to propose a mass CCTV implementation, good chances getting it welcomed, even if the evidence in London isn't so positive.

If Google Glass becomes commonplace, we will have become our own 'big brother.'

Well, on the upside, this would also give *citizens* video evidence of *authorities* misbehaving, instead of only the reverse.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Surveillance has been happening for decades.
the Camera ARE already in place.

Look at any red light/intersection/convenient store/bank etc...

then look around at everyone else. theyre ALWAYS taking pictures. I swear, the gov't could trace my everystep to about 1/4 mile if they wanted to.

Credit/debit card sales
Facebook.youtube. DZ.com is even archived now.

surveilliance IS here.

If you saying that they will have someone monitor these camera every day/moment i dont think its a viable option but, its one way to create jobs. [:/]

My photos

My Videos

Fla. runner and race spectator both snap photos of Boston Marathon suspects in the crowd

It looks like the photos that really showed the faces of 1 and 2 were taken by citizens with private camera. Something to consider when discussing surveillance: cameras posted on walls and poles will never be as good as a photographer or vidiot on scene doing their thing.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Fla. runner and race spectator both snap photos of Boston Marathon suspects in the crowd

It looks like the photos that really showed the faces of 1 and 2 were taken by citizens with private camera. Something to consider when discussing surveillance: cameras posted on walls and poles will never be as good as a photographer or vidiot on scene doing their thing.

I've noticed that the surveillance cameras are usually pointed down, which makes it difficult to get a good look at the face, as opposed to citizens cameras which are generally pointed horizontal. Of course if the surveillance camera was a face level, it would be subject to vandalism.

Maybe, never, but mediocre is getting better and better.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Well, on the upside, this would also give *citizens* video evidence of *authorities* misbehaving, instead of only the reverse.

What he said.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

Which would put you in jail on federal charges for 'wiretapping.'

http://www.naturalnews.com/038123_filming_police_first_amendment_Supreme_Court.html

Atlanta has had it for years. Operation Shield.

Granted it's not statewide, but it's city wide and growing.

Well, yes, they've been showing up more and more since 2001, but I think until now most people have seen them as individual corporate cameras or if they ever thought of them as government cameras they've been viewed fairly skeptically by the general public. Now, with this, we've just proven them to be a pubic tool and I believe a corner just turned toward wider acceptance.

Did it just go from being "Big Brother" to "socially acceptable"?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Probably, for now.

Lets be honest though. With people constantly posting pictures from their phones (which include lat and long coordinates, timestamps, etc) - the days of not being digitally tracked are long gone. I'm not saying it's good, or bad, just reality.

Hell, I recall something from Raytheon recently that would predict peoples movements based on scraping the above mentioned, and other things, from the internet.
Performance Designs Factory Team

At least with the Tinker case, Des Moines stated in advance that wearing the arm bands was against the rules. (they were wrong to make it so, but at least it was an issue of enforcing established rules)
With the eighth grader and the hunting rifle shirt, there wasn't even a rule against the shirt. It sounds like someone took issue with the shirt, and that school employee caused the disturbance that interrupted school, not the boy. Unconscionable.
witty subliminal message
1*

On LEO's wearing cameras:

Even with only half of the 54 uniformed patrol officers wearing cameras at any given time, the department over all had an 88 percent decline in the number of complaints filed against officers, compared with the 12 months before the study, to 3 from 24.

Ref: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/business/wearable-video-cameras-for-police-officers.html

Since the concept of "Big Brother" and similar social/antisocial/antiestablismentariansm, and Popular Paranoia ect. was a product of the 50's-70's born/raised group culture and not today's youth. George Orwell and Ayn Rand books are not the Boogeyman for high schoolers anymore.

Also, the technology talked about is a product of this generation as they built it. They also can also disrupt it.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

keeping in mind the fact that it was one of the victims that watched the guy drop a bag at his feet and told cops within hours who and where it was so that they knew where to look and who to look for, the cameras were useful for disseminating pictures to the public, but they don;t get all the credit for the speed of the investigation.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

We now have conclusive proof living in a surveillance society works

Or conclusive proof that it DOESN'T work. If "surveillance society" worked then we'd have three people still alive and many more who still had both legs.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Yeah, no one wants to talk about the fact that police, courts, and even massive surveillance, don't prevent things like this. All they can do is respond (or be checked after the fact).
witty subliminal message
1*