OHCHUTE

Is it time to start talking about who we let into the USA?

Sure. I think you should start that discussion. And perhaps ask the current administration why these sorts of things are happening:

Don't admit you EVER smoked pot

and

Don't carry condoms with you

:S

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

Sure. I think you should start that discussion. And perhaps ask the current administration why these sorts of things are happening:

This one is a bit less interesting, since it largely focused on those crazy enough to carry across the border. And I found the bit about DUIs a bit ironic given that Canada has a reputation for banning Americans from entry if they have a DUI in their past for the same reasons of moral turpitude.

As for the misogynistic TSA - I wonder if some day they're going to do something outrageously stupid that the walls come crashing down on them. They have backed away from the nudie scanners, though not until having paid hundreds of millions.

Wow. The first one is just annoying, the second one is outrageous. :o

The first one speaks to the hypocrisy that seems to run rampant. This list (see the post-prohibition part) shows how you can be POTUS if you admit to past use, but may be barred from visiting the country if you are a potential visitor who admits to past use. Ever. *note that both Republican and Democrat Presidents are included - that should make it interesting in this forum. :ph34r:

But it is part of a broader argument: No one should expect that it is their right to enter another nation. I do not take it for granted, even between Canada and the U.S. But if it is permissible to do so if you meet certain requirements, then you should not be treated with disrespect and abuse.

Canada is a visa exempt country with the U.S. We are both part of NAFTA. Countless times we hear both our respective political leaders stating how our friends to the (north/south) are our BFF. Well, if my friend disapproved of something I did in my home, yet did it himself in his home, I would not only consider that person a hypocrite; I would wonder why I would want to go to their home ever again.

And that really disappoints me.

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

This one is a bit less interesting, since it largely focused on those crazy enough to carry across the border. And I found the bit about DUIs a bit ironic given that Canada has a reputation for banning Americans from entry if they have a DUI in their past for the same reasons of moral turpitude.

As for the misogynistic TSA - I wonder if some day they're going to do something outrageously stupid that the walls come crashing down on them. They have backed away from the nudie scanners, though not until having paid hundreds of millions.

That is a fair point on the DUI issue. I am not suggesting that it is all funs and roses coming north of the 49th, either. But I have friends who have been either denied entry into the U.S. for some minor, arbitrary reason, and then have been admitted soon after without issue. And I have friends who have been banned from entry for five years, based on the opinion of the CBP officer that they were probably going to do something wrong. This arbitrary decision goes unchecked, since the CBP is considered arresting officer, judge and jury in these matters.