airdvr

We need to raise taxes...umm...but not the ones I pay

USPA Challenges Proposed User Fee

On April 11, one day after President Obama unveiled his 2014 budget containing a new $100 per flight user fee, USPA wrote to the president explaining how such a fee would devastate businesses that operate skydiving airplanes. The new fee would apply to each flight by a turbine aircraft in controlled airspace. “It is clear that no one within the administration understands that turbine jump planes routinely make up to 25 flights per day. An operator with one turbine airplane could pay $2,500 each day in user fees; an operator with two aircraft could pay $5,000 each day,” said Ed Scott, USPA’s Executive Director. USPA pointed out that those same operators already pay between $158 and $263 per aircraft per day in federal fuel taxes on jet fuel. USPA described a new user fee as “inequitable, duplicative and (requiring) a new, costly bureaucratic process to assess and collect the fee.” USPA requested that the president withdraw his aviation user fee proposal. Many Members of Congress already oppose aviation user fees, so the administration has a high hurdle to clear to get a bill through Congress. However, USPA and skydiving businesses need to take action now, rather than counting on Congress to defeat the proposed tax.

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

> But since raising taxes is so difficult let's just cut spending. That'll be much easier

Sure. We could just cut across the board, and that includes ATC. Cut non-critical services like flight following and airspace access for less important uses like . . . . wait a minute . . .

“inequitable, duplicative and (requiring) a new, costly bureaucratic process to assess and collect the fee.”

If I remember correctly, the USPA did recommend if more taxes were needed to just raise fuel taxes.

Creating new taxing divisions from scratch is also not the answer.

The tax increases should come from existing tax sources and need to affect all in some way. Those who are not paying and getting assistance should receive less.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

> But since raising taxes is so difficult let's just cut spending. That'll be much easier

Sure. We could just cut across the board, and that includes ATC. Cut non-critical services like flight following and airspace access for less important uses like . . . . wait a minute . . .

Or pull those services off the general budget and fund those by use fees charged to passengers, and airlines/pilots both private and commercial.

>Or pull those services off the general budget and fund those by use fees charged
>to passengers, and airlines/pilots both private and commercial.

. . . . thus coming full circle back to Obama's proposal.

Except there already is a fee/tax system in place. Just raise those versus attempting to create new ones.

ATC, TSA, and the FAA could very easily become self sustaining.

Hasn't this same user fee been proposed several years in a row?

Yes. Going back to the GWB years.

I actually define the GWB years as the 8 years he was in charge. PLUS then all the years since that the next guy just keeps doing the same things, only more so. And charging even more.

It's seems like forever....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hasn't this same user fee been proposed several years in a row?

Yes. Going back to the GWB years.

I actually define the GWB years as the 8 years he was in charge. PLUS then all the years since that the next guy just keeps doing the same things, only more so. And charging even more.

It's seems like forever....

You and Roger Daltrey both.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This is not the first, nor I suspect, the last time "user fees" for aviation services have been proposed. In my recollection, AOPA and other various aviation alphabet groups have successfully fought off these proposals for decades.

Yes, it's something to consider, but our lobbying groups generally do this work on our behalf and do a pretty good job of dealing with it.

I wouldn't panic.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

[Reply]
“It is clear that no one within the administration understands that turbine jump planes routinely make up to 25 flights per day.

Um - I think that the administration DOES understand that and sees an extra $2500 per otter load per day as being a wonderful thing. If it was 300 days it operated, that's $750k per year per plane. Mo money mo money mo money mo money mo money mo money!

It's what it is about! Telling the government, "it'll cost an extra $750k per year" is understood by government as, "you'll get an extra $750k per year per plane!".

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Um - I think that the administration DOES understand that and sees an extra $2500 per otter load per day as being a wonderful thing. If it was 300 days it operated, that's $750k per year per plane

Highly unlikely.

Far more likely and typical of the way this has been played out in a number of attempts in the past, none of the lawmakers considered it for a second and when it's simply brought to their attention they'll say something to the effect of, "Oh, we didn't think of that. Now we understand it wouldn't work. Oops. Never mind."

Until the next guy proposes it.
quade -

[Reply]
“It is clear that no one within the administration understands that turbine jump planes routinely make up to 25 flights per day.

Um - I think that the administration DOES understand that and sees an extra $2500 per otter load per day as being a wonderful thing..

I think you are full of it. Skydiving is a blip so tiny that I doubt it crossed anyone's radar except those of skydivers and DZOs.

[Reply]

Um - I think that the administration DOES understand that and sees an extra $2500 per otter load per day as being a wonderful thing..

I think you are full of it. Skydiving is a blip so tiny that I doubt it crossed anyone's radar except those of skydivers and DZOs.

Also similar to the TCAS issue of maybe 10 years ago.
quade -

[Reply]

It may very well be. But every commuter flight in a Brasilia is also $100 more. That'd be $5-$10 per passenger per flight extra. You know how many of those there are?

No - it didn't seek to target skydiving. It didn't consider it. But considering that it's about raising revenue, don't you think that skydiving ops can be considered a pretty decent stream?

No. It doesn't go anywhere. Because "flights between Los Angeles and San Diego will not cost extra per ticket due to a new tax" aren't going to be popular.

When was the last time a politician or bureacucrat wanted less revenue?

[Reply]Yep. And you see your "free" ATC services as a wonderful thing.

Of course it isn"t "free." And yes, I have never had a problem with government management of commons or interstate commerce. Issue: fuel taxes pay for it.

And what is the issue with this? Why are turbine engines looked upon as a target? Same way as restrictions on mentally ill - because there is a perception and stereotype that turbines are the spoils of the elite. Sure, it actually doesn't work like that (any more than "mentally ill" equals "dangerous") but governance by stigma is how we do things.

[Reply]

It may very well be. But every commuter flight in a Brasilia is also $100 more. That'd be $5-$10 per passenger per flight extra. You know how many of those there are?

No - it didn't seek to target skydiving. It didn't consider it.

So your comment about "Otter load" didn't refer to skydiving. Oh - Kaaaay
:S:S

So your comment about "Otter load" didn't refer to skydiving. Oh - Kaaaay
:S:S

perhaps a 'Beaver poop pile', or "Racoon dump" would be clearer

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants