jclalor

Senators reach deal on gun background checks

Wow great!! Universal background checks, on legal gun purchases, by legal owners! That will totally foil the criminals. who don't purchase guns legally, can't legally own guns, and won't obtain guns in a way that will be under the purview of any new or existing background check.

I am guessing there will be a number you call before you make a straw purchase for your felon relative, or file the serial number off your handgun.

Will their be a hotline to get an approval number before breaking an entering? The criminals are totally going to want a quick turnaround time... smash and grab means smash and grab.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Wow great!! Universal background checks, on legal gun purchases, by legal owners! That will totally foil the criminals. who don't purchase guns legally, can't legally own guns, and won't obtain guns in a way that will be under the purview of any new or existing background check.

I am guessing there will be a number you call before you make a straw purchase for your felon relative, or file the serial number off your handgun.

Will their be a hotline to get an approval number before breaking an entering? The criminals are totally going to want a quick turnaround time... smash and grab means smash and grab.

Well, it's like this. If you leave your front door wide open and someone just casually walks in, the neighbors probably won't take much notice. If, however, they see a guy try the door, finds it locked, and he then breaks a window, climbs in and emerges a few minutes later with your TV and BluRay under his arm, chances are they'll realize that the guy is up to no good and there's a much higher probability that he'll be caught doing it.

No guarantees, just improving the odds.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

John the relevant question is whether the criminal supposed to call the background check hotline first before he busts the window?

This is legislation on background checks, not home security. And yes you can make it more difficult for someone to steal from you, but that is irrelevant to background checks.

Perfect example that dedicated criminals will get what they want:

http://www.wthr.com/story/16209584/men-use-stolen-suv-to-smash-into-gun-store

Maybe we needed a ban on high capacity vehicles in that instance???
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

supposed to call the background check hotline first

this is horrible if they need to call it in for each purchase

we need a background check as a right to 'purchase'. Get it done, get the card, and the seller only has to check the card. Nothing more.

If they have to call it in for every purchase, then the government has a means to count every gun someone buys. That's not a check on the INDIVIDUAL (like having a license to purchase noted above) - that's a check on every PURCHASE. It's equivalent to a registration.

I don't think anybody has a right to know exactly what I own.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"I don't consider criminal background checks to be gun control. It's just common sense," Toomey said at a Capitol Hill news conference. "If you pass ... you get to buy a gun. It's the people who fail that we don't want having guns." .

bull shit wording there Toomey - "you get to buy a gun"

When you pass the check, you have the license to purchase. You shouldn't have to pass a gate for each individual purchase. The individual is checked, not each purchase.

If you pass - you can buy zero guns. or 1000. It's none of the gov business.

The agreement would not require private citizens to keep records of gun sales.

hopefully they got that right - but if they need to call in each purchase, then the government is sneaking in a de facto registration of at least the 'count' of guns by each person - none of the gov's business....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I find it perplexing that some think it should be much more difficult to vote than to buy a firearm.

I find it perplexing that some think we should go out of the way to make it easy for law breaking non-citizens to vote yet make it very difficult for law following citizens to make private purchases.

In both cases, checking a simple ID (check citizenship for voting, license to purchase for firearms) would fix both issues doesn't it?

Hell we can't even get foreigners to produce proper ID!
:S

well, I'd start with not selling them tiny canopies to start.....or chocolate......or chocolate guns....

OH, lets implement new laws then do the study about where the root cause is for gun violence. Cart before the horse.

Well, there was some serious research into this until the NRA lobbied the Congress to shut it down, and the GOP drones who tremble at the very mention of the NRA complied. The self-described "NRA Point Man in Congress" (Rep. Jay Dickey (R) of Arkansas) now regrets having done this.

supposed to call the background check hotline first

this is horrible if they need to call it in for each purchase

we need a background check as a right to 'purchase'. Get it done, get the card, and the seller only has to check the card. Nothing more.

If they have to call it in for every purchase, then the government has a means to count every gun someone buys. That's not a check on the INDIVIDUAL (like having a license to purchase noted above) - that's a check on every PURCHASE. It's equivalent to a registration.

I don't think anybody has a right to know exactly what I own.

bingo.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I find it perplexing that some think it should be much more difficult to vote than to buy a firearm.

I find it perplexing that some think we should go out of the way to make it easy for law breaking non-citizens to vote yet make it very difficult for law following citizens to make private purchases.

In both cases, checking a simple ID (check citizenship for voting, license to purchase for firearms) would fix both issues doesn't it?

hell, seems it even pretty easy for non-citizens to run for POTUS (and win). Shouldn't be that much harder to buy a gun... Of course, you would need some collusion...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Drivers license info goes on the NICS form for checks with BATF on every purchase of rifle or handgun via FFL dealer.

OH, lets implement new laws then do the study about where the root cause is for gun violence. Cart before the horse.

Well, there was some serious research into this until the NRA lobbied the Congress to shut it down, and the GOP drones who tremble at the very mention of the NRA complied. The self-described "NRA Point Man in Congress" (Rep. Jay Dickey (R) of Arkansas) now regrets having done this.

You mean at the CDC? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention? The guys who know about pathogens, virus, bacteria, and plague epidemiology? The ones who went after guns because they had a predetermined outcome in mind and formed POS research to force that conclusion? The ones who don't know any more about the cause of violence than a lawyer or engineer?

Yeah, no thanks. Leave it to people who actually study and specialize in that area. You don't want engineers dealing with outbreaks, or lawyers designing buildings or robots, do you?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Universal background checks is the building block for state and national gun registration. A list of every gun by description and ser. #, and gun owner. Don't believe this?

These checks are accomplished by the form 4473, which are paper and held by a gun shop. So far so good, but - there is a little known provision that requires these paper forms be turned over to the batf or homeland security or some agency when the gun shop goes out of business. If there are universal background checks with no exceptions, within one generation (covers family and friend transfers and private sales) and one business generation, (covers all commercial sales and purchases) the government will have a 100% complete list of all legal gun transfers and sales. As I said, it will take some time, but that is the end result.
It will grow and grow, year by year, and be complete when the last of these 'person generations' and business generations occur.

Why are these paper forms required to be turned over to a governmental entity upon the cessation of business of a gun business/shop? To accomplish this gun registry. It will take some time, but will occur if this "universal checks" ball gets rolling. Of course this only applies to guns legally sold/bought or transferred.

Failed in Senate today.

And THIS is a good deal:)

No, it is SHAMEFUL.

Even a bipartisan amendment to impose stiff penalties on gun traffickers, which was supported by the N.R.A. and expected to be adopted by voice vote, instead was defeated, receiving 58 votes.

Why do Republicans love gun traffickers?