ryoder

Multiple injuries reported in stabbing at Houston college

You will note that out of 14 people injured, nobody died. I doubt that would be true if a gun where involved.

I would say not yet, and hopefully nobody will. 2 of the victims were in critical condition. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Prediction - some press will report it to be a "military style" knife.

Fark: "Stabbings reported at Lone Star College in Texas. A suspect is still on the loose and in possession of at least one fully automatic assault knife"

:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You will note that out of 14 people injured, nobody died. I doubt that would be true if a gun where involved.

Not all the people hit by bullits died. but 20 something died from a knife the last year.

And it's pretty much a guarantee there is a knife in every home in the US. Okay, so how many people died of gunshots last year?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Last year IDK but I do have 2009 stats
Summary:
Murders total – 13636
Murders with handguns – 6452 (47.32%)
Murders with rifles – 348 (2.55%)
Murders with shotguns – 418 (3.07%)
Murders with unknown firearms – 1928 (14.14%)
Murder with knives or cutting instruments – 1825 (13.38%)
Murders with other weapons – 1864 (13.67%)
Murders with hands, fists, feet etc.. – 801 (5.87%)
Summary of the 2009 crime statistics – HERE

It is about 50/50 on guns and other. so since half are by other we need to Ban other also.

Yes, I know: it's time to outlaw kitchen spatulas..., or something.

Don't be rediculous! This wouldn't have happened if every teacher was armed with machine guns.

You could also arm every student I suppose, a la Battle Royale.

>It is about 50/50 on guns and other.

Actually 67% guns and 13% knives. So more than 2/3 of the murders in 2009 were committed with guns and less than 1/6th were with knives.

But don't let that stop you.

What % with spoons?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Cy-Fair isn't Houston, but I guess most wouldn't realize or care. Although that's close to where Skydive Houston used to be in Waller (which still isn't Houston, but you know how it goes).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well arent you the optimist.

The word you're looking for is "realist."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

No it's not.

For criminals and murderers they need a tool to do what they want. Guns are effective.
I always prefer the good tools too.

Doesn't make the tool the problem.

Makes it a problem though. Not saying it's one that needs to be addressed by banning etc... but a problem to be addressed nonetheless.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Well..it already is and still has nothing to do with loonies snapping off and acting out in a violent manner.

Murder - yep still illegal. Possibly death for doing it.
Convicted criminals are still barred from legal possession of weapons.

Yup. We clearly need more laws. :S

I think I just saw the word realist used somewhere....;)

That's hilarious right there.
I anxiously await seeing this happen.

I'll even go one better - "Mark my words, passage of a universal background check will have limited impact on criminal use of weapons and will have zero impact on loonies snapping and committing mass killings."

B|

I couldn't have said it better!

And I will add that, formerly, law abiding citizens will start buying guns out of car trunks, back alleys and so forth, so the government has no record of them. Wait, that's probably already happening.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I'll even go one better - "Mark my words, passage of a universal background check will have limited impact on criminal use of weapons and will have zero impact on loonies snapping and committing mass killings."

B|

Well, considering that Cho, Loughner and Holmes all went through the background check, and Lanza's mom did too, I find it hard to believe that any law requiring background checks on any private sales would have made any difference.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

B|

Well, considering that Cho, Loughner and Holmes all went through the background check, and Lanza's mom did too, I find it hard to believe that any law requiring background checks on any private sales would have made any difference.

I understand some objections to registration - it creates a database for potential confiscation, and it potentially criminalizes law-abiding citizens.

But realize that your argument still uses flawed logic. You only cited the examples where it didn't work, which (obviously) made the news. There are many people denied gun purchases because the background checks were done and worked; those generally don't make the news. IOW, if I were a debate coach, I'd urge you to ditch this argument, because it's pretty vulnerable.

So you're in support of abandoning your rights to medical privacy.

I see.

Actually, once we go government on healthcare, our HIPAA rights are essentially vacated anyway.

Those people passed background checks because the mental health system and their communities failed them.

Still again, simply expanding that background check to all states and all sales fixes this mental issue how???
They would still pass.