quade

"Responsible" Gun Ownership

Agreed.

I've never needed a rhyme to remember to simply clear the chamber, remove the magazine, put gun in gun safe, spin tumbler.

I simply want my weapons stored safely.

If you need a checklist, maybe you are the personality that shouldn't own a weapon.
;)

Really, because you should remove the magazine first then clear the chamber.... if you "clear" the chamber first you will reload another bullet if the magazine is not removed..... so maybe you shouldn't own a weapon.

I was actually just thinking about this and how, in California, the prevelance of magazine-locks or "bullet buttons" on certain rifles make the clearing process somewhat less standard even if you think you know the weapon because you can't just pull the magazine off... you have to pull the charging handle back and make sure you look down into the magazine if there's one inserted.

As rehmwa said though, if you don't know, ask.

I wonder whose behavior the child was parroting when the fateful move was made... to take the gun in hand...
TV, maybe???

What was the victim doing? not to notice the weapon on the bed..in the first place .
AND not to be Monitoring the child more closely..The report seemed to say that the deputy was also in the room (and maybe another person) and yet none of these adults acted, to secure that gun, from the childs reach...nor to intercede immediately, when he picked it Up.[:/]

sad situation all around.
lots of so called "grown-ups", dropped the ball...>:(

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly....

Body Oder Gives Bad Smells

Ya' learn it, ya' drill, it, ya' practice it...simple.

"Oh shit! I don't have my checklist! WTF do I do now?"
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>The level of stupidity exhibited by some cops with their guns is absolutely amazing.

I know four people who have shot themselves by accident,and three of them are cops.
Then there are incidents like the cops looking for Dorner and shooting the two women delivering papers in california.
And the anti-gun liberals want us to give up our guns and let the cops protect us:|

I wonder whose behavior the child was parroting when the fateful move was made... to take the gun in hand...

What was the victim doing? not to notice the weapon on the bed..in the first place .
AND not to be Monitoring the child more closely...
is there more to this story than we know..

sad situation all around

Yes. Blame the victim. That's awesome.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>And the gun nuts want to give guns to people who couldn't even make it as cops to "protect the children"

What makes you think they ever wanted to be cops.
I'm sure there are many good ex military people who would make great guards for kids,as would many retired police officers.
I personally know two guys who are ex military and are now armed body guards for very wealthy and influential people and their families.
I'm sure they both would be more than qualified to protect a school,and they never had any desire to be police officers.

i'm not blaming the victim.... but pointing out that maybe her own inattentiveness contributed...
Didn't
she realize that a little kid was walking along with her????when she entered the room or else, that the child followed her..?
i'm guessing she knows that there Are guns in some part of the room... It is HER room, after all...

whether it's your child or the child of family or the child of a friend...it is best to be SURE that ( especially at certain ages )you REALLY keep an eye on them!! They are Quick.... and they are innocent...(for the most part ) and they are Unpredictable and spontaneous...

It Would have been better if ALL who were in that room, were more attentive...

i'll grant that the incident could have happened in a instant...but it also could have been avoided.....
Any chance that there could have been alcohol at this B-B_Q.???

:|

>I'm sure there are many good ex military people who would make great guards for kids

Yep, no risk there. There's no way that putting an armed ex military type could actually INCREASE the risk of a child being shot.

==================
Decorated war veteran accidentally kills wife with pistol

TUALATIN, Ore. - A decorated Iraq war veteran accidentally shot and killed his wife while practicing drawing a pistol from a holster in the couple's Tualatin apartment Sunday night, police said.
==================

(CNN) -- A pistol in the hands of a 4-year-old boy went off during a weekend cookout, killing the wife of a Tennessee sheriff's deputy who was showing his guns to a relative, state police said Monday.

Source/Story:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/08/us/tennessee-gun-death/index.html

What the F is wrong with some people?

Thank You
You could have taken this another direction but instead you pointed to one idiot

The one that was responcible
Not a group

What about the group of idiots?

What group are your claiming there is?

WELL, Marc, YOU blamed an idiot. Are you now trying to tell us there is only one idiot in the USA?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

==================
Decorated war veteran accidentally kills wife with pistol

TUALATIN, Ore. - A decorated Iraq war veteran accidentally shot and killed his wife while practicing drawing a pistol from a holster in the couple's Tualatin apartment Sunday night, police said.
==================

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTalnzcO0xk
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Let me rephrase.

If you need a checklist to simply clear a weapon, you shouldn't own one.

I was taught by the military everything is taught methodically. After a time it becomes internalised and you don't need a checklist but when it comes to teaching it helps.

When you learnt to drive did you never learn mirror, signal, manoeuvre? I didn't use a 'rhyme' in my sentence I simply said prove the weapon, I forgot that most Yanks outside the military know nothing about safe weapon handling but can just go buy a gun.

bit of an inflammatory statement, that last sentence, eh? Or are you just always better than anyone born the other side of the pond? and how many is 'most', since you must have already done the survey?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

This guy was not a responsible gun owner, if he was he'd have proved the weapon before he did anything else. His wife is dead and his child fucked up for life because he was a twat.

Right - twats shouldn't have guns. Nor should felons, or nutters.

But a bunch of GOP senators, supported by the NRA, is planning to ensure that twats, felons and nutters continue to have unhindered access to guns.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Yep no risk there. There's no way that putting an armed ex mititary type could actually increase the risk of a child being shot.

I didn't say just any ex military,I said good ex military people.
People who are mentally and emotionally sound,with a high degree of training and discipline that is sought out by not just our politicians as body guards,but,by the wealthy as well.
I'm sure there are many such people(men and women)who are not just willing,but would be honored to protect children and their teachers.
I know several ex military women with children of their own who would make great school guards.

I have never disagreed that this is the problem

Now tell me what what background check will find that would prevent a weapon in those individual hands. Oh wait criminals don't use that route. They tend to steal them or buy stolen ones on the street. Background check gonna fix that? Background check gonna predict someone snapping?