"proved the weapon"

What does this mean?

The same as clearing a weapon

I think
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Point the firearm in the safest available direction.
Remove all cartridges.
Observe the chamber.
Verify the feeding path.
Examine the bore.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Duh.
:D
Damn night shift is killing my brain.

I didnt know for sure
But it made sense in the context of his post
Abraham Lincoln

Agreed.

I've never needed a rhyme to remember to simply clear the chamber, remove the magazine, put gun in gun safe, spin tumbler.

I simply want my weapons stored safely.

If you need a checklist, maybe you are the personality that shouldn't own a weapon.
;)

Agreed.

I've never needed a rhyme to remember to simply clear the chamber, remove the magazine, put gun in gun safe, spin tumbler.

If you need a checklist, maybe you are the personality that shouldn't own a weapon.
;)

There is only 1 rule I need

It is always loaded so do not point it at anything you do not want to shoot
Abraham Lincoln

>If you need a checklist to simply clear a weapon, you shouldn't own one.

Agreed. Which is the problem with telling people they are defenseless victims unless they go out and buy one. There are a lot of people who should not be encouraged to buy something that their 4 year old will use to kill their friends (as in this example.)

Agreed.

;)

As the same school of safety as the Deputy.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

If you need a checklist to simply clear a weapon, you shouldn't own one.

I'll use whatever tool necessary to teach people to clear their weapon properly. And even if you blatantly do it before handing it to me, guess what? I'll do it for myself. And if it's a gun I've never touched, I'll ask you how and not pretend or guess.

They can do it to Yankee Doodle Dandy if that works.

Hell, if it takes a Power Point presentation, then that's fine too.

Fortunately, it's pretty simple once you've done it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

As the same school of safety as the Deputy.

The rule is actually - "always assume it's loaded so do not point it at anything you do not want to shoot"

I like that one just as much as "clear the freakin' gun"

both are appropriate - I'll give rush the benefit of the doubt for writing the rule wrong but getting the intent correct

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Let me rephrase.

If you need a checklist to simply clear a weapon, you shouldn't own one.

I was taught by the military everything is taught methodically. After a time it becomes internalised and you don't need a checklist but when it comes to teaching it helps.

When you learnt to drive did you never learn mirror, signal, manoeuvre? I didn't use a 'rhyme' in my sentence I simply said prove the weapon, I forgot that most Yanks outside the military know nothing about safe weapon handling but can just go buy a gun.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Point the firearm in the safest available direction.
Remove all cartridges.
Observe the chamber.
Verify the feeding path.
Examine the bore.

I hate attempts at creating mnemonics of this form because they never actually help you remember the steps, and they usually just invent steps so that you end up with a clever word. If you know what the steps are and just need to rememeber an order to them, then mnemonics are great, but when you have "Observe [something]", "Verify [something]", and "Examine [something]" which all mean the same thing, then it's kinda pointless.

That said, I have a better one...

Keep your finger off the trigger.
Keep it pointed away from people.
Keep th-

Er, actually that's probably not a good one.

When it comes to handling a deadly item I think it's a bit different.
I also understand and appreciate the use for memory training.

I thankfully wouldn't have to recite Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly only to have to sort out exactly where in that ladder I am in making a life and death decision.

There are people that would. Those might be ones that should have a weapon in the first place.

Proper training IS a part of responsible ownership.

I have observed these people at gun ranges.

Agreed.

;)

Really, because you should remove the magazine first then clear the chamber.... if you "clear" the chamber first you will reload another bullet if the magazine is not removed..... so maybe you shouldn't own a weapon.

I didn't make it up its a well established professionally recognised firearm safety mnemonic...

http://www.firearms-safety-course.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=57

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/safe_sur/acts-tpto-eng.htm

https://www.durham.police.uk/Information-and-advice/firearms-and-firearms-licencing/Pages/Firearm-Safety.aspx

http://www.west-midlands.police.uk/help-advice/firearms-licensing/firearm-safety.asp
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Agreed.

;)

Really, because you should remove the magazine first then clear the chamber.... if you "clear" the chamber first you will reload another bullet if the magazine is not removed..... so maybe you shouldn't own a weapon.

Makes you wonder eh?
Lucius Annaeus Seneca