shattenjager

Combat veteran with "infidel" tattoo asked to leave Florida DZ

Thank you for your service, I truly respect you for serving your country!

Now, get over yourself already.

I'm the daughter of a disabled Marine who fought in Vietnam. Trust me, he has his share of very bad stories, sadness over friends dying, and memories of how close he was to being killed. He came home, worked hard, took care of his family and never spoke badly about the Vietnamese people or their beliefs. Serving in the military was his job, he did it to the best of his abilities and he came home and moved onto different jobs. I think you could learn a few lessons from his generation and the ones before him about how they view their service.

I truly hope your blog post about Skydive Lake Wales doesn't result in innocent people losing their jobs because of lack of business. The locals who jump there also deserve to have their dropzone stay open. Betty was in between a rock and a hard place and she was forced to make a decision. I respect the difficulty of her position in trying to keep everyone happy; it really was a no-win situation.

Relax. Take a deep breath. Let it go. Know that you might have to put pants on sometimes, and go skydive. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Go join the military yourself....
or get over yourself.
Hope I don't get asked to leave or cover myself with tape.

Can't speak for her but... your comment about stepping up is way out of line. She's as connected to the military, or more so, than most people here.
Owned by Remi #?

Being louder doesn't make you right, Tom.
Provoking a response is not the same as contributing.
Serving in the military is not a prerequisite to commenting on it, or those in it.
Some service members are worthless pieces of shit.
Some are the highest pinnacle of human greatness.
The vast majority tend towards the center of the bell curve.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Funny, that.
I prefer civilizations that have advanced past the Bronze Age.
Some people deserve an ass kicking with brass knuckles.
You're not going to be asked to leave for your views, but don't be surprised if others leave to avoid you.

ETA: Skymama, you still rock.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Point is that he was told to either cover the tat or leave.
Do you think it would be OK to tell a jewish person to cover or remove a star of david or leave?

If atheism (or unbelief) is a religion, then not collecting stamps is a hobby
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Point is that he was asked to either cover the tat or leave.
Do you think it would be OK to ask a jewish person to cover or remove a star of david or leave?

He was NOT asked to leave...he said so himself, the dropzone said so. THAT didn't happen.

It's not as an emotionally fueled story..but it's factual.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Do you think it would be OK to ask a jewish person to cover or remove a star of david or leave?

He was NOT asked to leave...he said so himself, the dropzone said so. THAT didn't happen.

Besides he's such a tough mutherfucker he can't skydive in trousers or jump suit in 80 degree weather cause its too hot. I always knew bellyfliers were hard core and freefliers were wimps.;)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Does one have to wait until they're asked to leave once it's obvious they're no longer welcome?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I was not there,but the thing is that it should never have even become an issue.
This is the USA and you have the right to express yourself,and the business owner has the right to refuse service as well,but this tat is no different than someone wearing a star of david or a crucifix in wich case the business owner would be labeled as discriminate for even bringing it up.
We are in the US where we have the right to express religious views or lack of, and we have the freedom of speech.
If someone does not like our freedom of expression then they do not have to be here.
In some countries individuals do not have protected rights as we here in the US enjoy,and if I were in one of those places I would either comply with their ways or leave.
As they say"when in rome do as the romans do,or don't go to rome" or something like that.

Why does everyone keep hiding behind the religion or lack of argument. That is not the case, this infidel shit has become nothing more than a trend or expression mostly among our younger military men. Its turned into a damn gimmick
http://www.infidelusa.com/collections/all
http://www.zazzle.com/infidel+tshirts

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&redir_esc=&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&source=android-browser-goto&v=133247963&qsubts=1365217793786&q=infidel+patch&v=133247963#q=infidel+patch&hl=en&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&source=android-browser-goto&v=133247963&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&psj=1&ei=BJJfUcLyK9L02wWwy4D4BA&ved=0CEgQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44770516,d.b2I&fp=49e52418b3df0eaf&biw=980&bih=1393

thats jusy a few, there are some cool shirts and patches etc. meant to make a statement, nothing more.

No, he doesn't have to let it over because I can walk with that tattoo in any mall or public place in USA and no common sense person would feel offended, unless I had the bad luck to be in that place with a bunch of radical religious zealots.
It seems like that the real message here is that guests of this country has no right to 'demand' this or that, the Qatari general DEMANDED not ASKED, and the business owner bowed the head and answered SIR YES SIR!
The point is not the infidel tattoo, is the situation, like if you, as woman, you are driving a car and suddenly some of these guys asked the local police that they are offended because a woman is not supposed to drive a car, according to their culture, how would you feel?
The mind is like a parachute: If you don't open it, it doesn't work.

You are making facts up. The only confirmed things are that Eddie had a tattoo and that Betty asked him to cover it up. Anything else is speculation at best. No one had verified what the Quatari personnel had said to the DZ management.

Making things up to support your point doesnt make your point any more valid.

So if you don't like, don't wear the fucking t-shirts, what's the problem?
I think that are rather stupid, I'd never have one, but they don't offend me, I saw in Iraq contractors and military wearing PORK EATER CRUSADER t-shirts, don't you think those are offensive for muslims too? But who fucking cares, everybody has the right to wear or show whatever they want, that's the point.
Those Qatari were guests and they behaved like they were the owners of the DZ, that's wrong!!! being veteran or not, wounded or not, purple heart or decorated or not is not the point, the point is freedom to be free in your own country.
Tell me one thing, you go to Dubai skydive and (I never been there so this is just an hypothesis) they stop the loads 4 times a day for prayer time, would you go to the DZ management to tell them that is BS and you want them to stop?Would you??

but this tat is no different than someone wearing a star of david or a crucifix

We'll have to agree t disagree on that one.

From what's been posted here, and from the outside research I've done, there seems to be QUITE a significant difference.

I had this discussion earlier in the day with someone who had a 'Major League Infidel' cover pic on his FB page...if all it means is 'non-believer' then why is there an M-16 pointing at a Turban on it?

If I had a tattoo that said 'Atheist' with a gun to the head of Jesus...I wouldn't be surprised at all if I were asked from time to time to cover it.

If someone wore a tee shirt that said 'Oppress the Jews' they would likely be asked to remove it...'war hero' or not.

Could things have been handled better by both parties? I believe so.

What really shocks me is the number of supposedly intelligent people that read one side of a story and jumped on the patratioc bandwagon, sending negative emails & abusive phone calls without even trying to seek the truth of the matter ...in any way, shape or form.

I have nothing personal against this guy, from his blog it sounds like he's had a rough hand dealt throughout his life.

Problem is, from a logical / unemotional standpoint some of this just doesn't pass the smell test...some may have been a bit exaggerated which unintentionally is causing inappropriate hardship to a business merely trying to serve it's customers.

Which puts Eddie in a tough spot...

Keep playin' the woe is me card and half the people think he's a jerk

Back off and honestly try to fix this and the OTHER half think he's a jerk.

He's kinda fucked either way.

Exactly!
What right they have to make demands in our own country????
That's the point the seems all the haters here are missing.
This group of Qatari keep bouncing from DZ to DZ, they don't look like the best jumping buddies, huh? Why the don't go to Dubai??

Exactly!
This group of Qatari keep bouncing from DZ to DZ, they don't look like the best jumping buddies, huh? Why the don't go to Dubai??

Did you witness any 'demands'...because it seems you're about the only one making such accusations....just curious if you have actual facts I'm unaware of or if you're making stuff up to get a response?

Exactly!

Why not be proud of the fact that the USA is still the place to go to get world class coaching? Many elite athletes are social knobs, get used to it, become a skygod and join the ranks...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

First of all, the tattoo was gotten mainly because of a friend who committed suicide due to PTSD, and wanted me to get the tattoo. I did not want to get it because I thought it was offensive, after he killed himself I talked to my cousin, who speaks 7 dialects and grew up in Yemen tell me that "The only people who would be offended by that tattoo would be people who follow Sharia Law", and that the tattoo simply means someone who has no faith. With those factors in play, that's why I got the tattoo

Also, I wasn't pissed off when Betty called me to the back to tell me that they were offended by my tattoo. I was because she didn't know WHY it was offensive, and after I told her I served in Iraq and Afghanistan and the tattoo represents my lack of faith, she still said I had to cover it up, and suggested duct tape.

After that happened she told me I could cover it up or leave. So her statement saying I chose to leave is accurate. I chose to leave over choosing to cover it up with DUCT TAPE!

All that being said, I later found out that Betty is also the Manager of the Airport.... A government employee, so when I was discriminated against for a religious statement - I was asked to leave the public airport by a governmental employee because of a tattoo that says my religious faith. (or lack thereof)

So IDC if you guys want to think I got it to be an asshole, and to be quite frank it's irrelevant. If you go to England a fag is a cigarette, a lift is an elevator and a boot is a car trunk. In America it has a different meaning. We're in America, and Kafir or Infidel means One without faith.

Last time I checked you could not discriminate or refuse service to someone based on religious belief. She could have kicked me out for any reason, but as soon as she said it was because of a tattoo that stated a religious belief, she was in the wrong. Moreso because she holds a dual govt. job at the same location.

Funny, in the 1950's a black man goes into a whites only diner and they say that he did it to be an asshole and he got what he deserves.

Point is, the actual reason behind the tattoo is irrelevant. It's a religious statement, and protected under the 1964 civil rights act.

And when I made the blog it was meant to be seen by a group of about 10 friends who read my blog. I didn't expect it to go viral and have over 110,000 views in 48 hours. So my intent was to vent to a group of friends -

I'm baffled at your complete inability to take ownership of your actions. You didn't want to get the tattoo because you thought it was offensive? Someone else told you it was ok? Grow up and take responsibility for yourself.

So you wouldn't have gotten the tattoo if you knew it was offensive to more people than those who recognize sharia law? Why is it, then, when you found out people WERE offended, you wouldn't make an effort to resolve the issue? I know when I find out I've inadvertently offended someone, I do my best to make sure they understand that it was unintentional and help ensure it doesn't happen again. That is just good manners and respect.

According to your own words, Betty did not force you to leave. In your mind, making a statement was more important than compromise. That is fine.. everyone has their priorities. So how about some integrity in telling your story? A better description of what happened here seems to be, "Betty told me my tattoo was offending another group of customers and asked if I'd be willing to either put on long pants or cover it with tape. I said no and left."

You're right.. in England a fag is a cigarette. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem with someone wearing a shirt that says "I hate fags" and then claiming its an anti-smoking shirt he got from a trip to London when he gets kicked out of a business.

Stop trying to sell the line that the word kafir is a simple declaration of non-belief. Your claim that it means "one without faith" in America is even more absurd. Americans are who have turned that word into what it means now. I think I've sufficiently demonstrated how the word is used in America earlier in this post. Enough about that.

Finally, next time you tell this story, leave out the part about being a vet. Your behavior is embarrassing. You had a good run, but its over now. The whole story is coming out and people familiar with your antics are coming forward. I hope it was worth it.

You had a good run, but its over now. The whole story is coming out and people familiar with your antics are coming forward. I hope it was worth it.

That's the peril of seeking out the spotlight, everything in the shadows gets exposed too.

I think a lot of the comments on this are very polarized, and I think that sucks. Not speaking to you directly airtwardo.

I agree...it's an emotional issue.

I'd bet BOTH parties wish at this point they done things differently.

Hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube...;)