shattenjager

Combat veteran with "infidel" tattoo asked to leave Florida DZ

So you think you could win his case? Do you think he even has a case?

I'll stick with the opinions of actual practicing lawyers vs those who havent passed the bar thanks.

Even If I wanted to answer that, I would have to peruse this incident much more than I have reading this thread on DZ.com

IMO it is kind of irrelevant to talk about legal action. I doubt that there is ever going to be any.

I merely wanted to say that based on the little info I have on this, I understand both sides here, and since you are so keen on only seeing the other side of this I wanted you to know that perhaps Im not as misinformed on my opinions as you thought I am. Thats all.

I spent nearly 2 hours talking to a lawyer and a judge (who is also a veteran) about this last night as its been going around a number of different webforums, they are regulars at the bar and know I'm a skydiver they brought it up. Both of their first statements were to the effect of "What the fuck is this guy on about?" they were completely baffled that this guy thought he had a leg to stand on.

as it continues, its pretty clear what he's on about; shameless self promotion and attention seeking at the expense of the DZ's reputation.

Well I'm talkin' to you.

You talkin' to me?

Hey... You stay outside of this thread. When thread drift gets to the destruction of american values, you can come back.

Shouldn't she be off promoting the gay agenda somewhere?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Shouldn't she be off promoting the gay agenda somewhere?

Hey... I'm not some kinda third person reference here...

But we always refer to teh gays in the third person, dontcha know? It helps us reinforce their status as other. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

But we always refer to teh gays in the third person, dontcha know? It helps us reinforce their status as other.

I was trying to type a timely, sarcastic, and witty reply but then one of my cats jumped into my lap and head-butted my chin, knocking my evil cigarette up into my eyebrow and then back down onto his tail.

Teh gays are in fire suppression mode now. All of them. We are Borg.
Owned by Remi #?

And when you think something cannot make any less sense than the discussion you're having has, the internets shows you the depth of WTF.

I present, dogs in pantyhose. http://laughingsquid.com/dogs-wearing-pantyhose-a-popular-new-meme-in-china/?fb_action_ids=10101399335871500&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210101399335871500%22%3A123828487808658%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210101399335871500%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

This, and every other argument ever had is invalid.
Remster

And when you think something cannot make any less sense than the discussion you're having has, the internets shows you the depth of WTF.

I present, dogs in pantyhose. http://laughingsquid.com/dogs-wearing-pantyhose-a-popular-new-meme-in-china/?fb_action_ids=10101399335871500&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210101399335871500%22%3A123828487808658%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210101399335871500%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

This, and every other argument ever had is invalid.

my god man...

Funny, in the 1950's a black man goes into a whites only diner and they say that he did it to be an asshole and he got what he deserves.

Here's a better analogy if you want to run with race: A guy walks into a restaurant dressed in a hooded white robes with the symbol of an encircled cross and blooddrop in the center. A number of patrons in the establishment complain, and the owner asks him to change clothes (or leave). The guy goes home and complains he's a wounded vet and his rights have been trampled on.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

In the end, they asked me to leave because of something I hold valuable to myself and in return I wrote about it on my personal blog.

We both made decisions. Good or bad - they'll live with their decision, I'll live with mine.
-Eddie B (feel free to message)
www.facebook.com/eddie.d.bryant

And when I made the blog it was meant to be seen by a group of about 10 friends who read my blog. I didn't expect it to go viral and have over 110,000 views in 48 hours. So my intent was to vent to a group of friends

"I am a disabled combat veteran. I served in Iraq and worked in Afghanistan. I took an IED because my country asked me too, and I was injured by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan. I have a Purple Heart and an ARCOM with Valor."

How many of the 10 friends that you were trying to reach were unaware of this?
Owned by Remi #?

In the end, they asked me to leave because of something I hold valuable to myself and in return I wrote about it on my personal blog.

We both made decisions. Good or bad - they'll live with their decision, I'll live with mine.

Drop zone owners make a lot of decisions on a lot of different topics every single day.

I have read all of the comments on your blog. Most of the readers have called and e-mailed the DZ and city council and mayor and are boycotting the DZ and crying out for a lawsuit.

I have to wonder, if the DZ goes under, due to a lack of customers over this, how many fellow civilians and military veterans that skydive, fly or pack there for a living will be out of work?

Also in this day and age, gaining and keeping access to municipal airports across America is a growing difficulty. Having a DZ close over a firestorm like this has turned into would be a sad turn of events.

DZ's allow you to jump there with knowledge of your disablity. Betty and many other DZO's could have told you that having Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome would preclude you from jumping under the "are you in good health to skydive" section that most all DZ's have on their waiver. Every DZO in the world could have every right in their power to not let you buy a jump ticket, but they don't stop you and allow you to participate.

I understand your position, I understand the Qatar general's position and I understand Betty's position. Sometimes the "cooler heads need to prevail" solution is really the best course of action.

I would hope you would post a statement on your blog and call off the protesters for a while, meet with Betty and smooth things out in person, and think about what it is we gain as being a part of the skydiving community.

Thank you for your service to the nation

Didn't you just say earlier they DIDN'T ask you to leave?

You wanna make a REAL statement...get a tattoo that looks like duct tape! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I know a number of vets. Some from Vietnam, some from Korea, some from both conflicts and more. Many of these guys have numerous awards of valor, many of them did and saw things they will never speak of. All of them are humble guys that wear their service with honor and pride and will gladly talk about it when the subject comes up, many of them you would never even know served unless you pried it out of them. They came home, put their ribbons and bars in the closet and went on with their lives never expecting another thing from society in return.
And there is folks like seems to be more and more common today. They also are proud of their service and rightfully should be....but they also expect things in return and try to use it as a license to get extras or see it as license to at like an asshole. Like the girl in a Lake Tahoe convenience store in line in front of me who badgered and denigrated the poor 16 year old girl running the register because she wouldn't give her a "military discount" when she asked for one, or the guy in the bar a few weeks ago playing tough guy giving everyone shit, trying to start fights, and then claiming his asshole attitude should be excused because he served in Afghanistan. Anyone who dare call him out for being the douche bag he was acting like was automatically labelled as being unpatriotic and unappreciative of his service. I'm just gonna gander this whole incident has just a tinge of said behavior.

God this is rediculous, to me this is the kind of shit that will end up making combat vets look bad, or worse than a lot of people through out years see vets.
did my time in Iraq and other places got the badge .. Guess what many,before me and many will follow. means a lot to me but I dont run around using it as a way to get recognition, and make myself feel cool.
And im throwing the bullshit flag on the religious reason for the ink. It was cool between you and your buddies at the time. Bet you had the infidel patch on your acu as well. the word has become nothing more than a hooah hooah thing and a joke amongst most military guys. I would also venture to guess ya never made it past e4 which is the typical group I have seen this kind of bullshit behavior out of during the years I,was in. had douche bags like you in my squad, they didnt amount to shit in military or civilian life. But its easier to fool civilians who dont really know.
”I made the blog for me and my buddies.. My ass, you did it for self recognition and cooll points to get laid..

Grow the fuck up!
And again for the record the quataris” I think thats plural” should have juat minded their business and kept on training. But you as a former ”War hero” should follow some of the good old army values and took the high road instead of what ? Create a media, blogger,social network storm for nothing more than your own personal satisfaction. But hey I bet you have picked up quite a few donations on your site from people you have fooled into believing you were so fucking wronged!

>I'm supporting the infidel who was denied his rights to freedom of religion (or lack
>of religious beliefs) and expression.

No one was denied anything. He left voluntarily rather than demanding that freedom. His life, his choice.

Now, had they called the police to have him removed, or forced him down and covered his leg with duct tape, you might have a point.

This is the business owner's right to ask this, but sad that he would choose to do so. :(

Would he also ask all the women to cover up? Ban pork products from the DZ for the duration?

I, too, would reconsider spending money there. [:/]

I agree.

Women should walk around his DZ wearing bacon bikinis while said folks for Qatar were there!

:ph34r: