shattenjager

Combat veteran with "infidel" tattoo asked to leave Florida DZ

the general could have also not involved the DZO and dealt with it directly.

:| Yeah, that would have gone well.

"Infidel!"
"Raghead!"
"Vagina of a camel!"
"Pig fucker!"
"Die, you dog!"

Multiple Stabbing and Shooting at Para-Jumping Locale.
Lake Wales, FL, March 31, 2013 (AP)

The U.S. State Department is doing its best to soothe ruffled diplomatic feathers tonight after a stabbing and shooting incident between a U.S. Army war veteran suffering from PTSD and members of a Qatari military skydiving team traveling under diplomatic passports.

Apparently the parties engaged in a dispute over a the vet's Arabic-language tattoo which reportedly insulted Islam. The vet is not believed to be Muslim or of Arabic ancestry himself.

It is believed from early reports that at least one assault weapon with high-capacity magazines and a bayonet lug was used in the melee. As the the US vet was being carried to an ambulance on a stretcher, he was reportedly heard screaming, "And that's for the pork in the bomb shelter, too!" Local skydivers interviewed denied knowledge of what bomb shelter the man was referring to. No bomb shelter is known to exist at the Lake Wales airport.

So you're assuming neither party could be rational.:(

LMAO at the article though. :D
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Look.....I don't know you in person and it's not fair for me to judge you......I apologize for the harsh comment.......but I find it hard to understand why someone wouldn't defend the veteran after all he did for us....and I'm sure the tattoo is not nice if you are a muslim but we can't forget what this kids go through.

Let's remember that we sent them to war that is no place were to grow as gentlemans..and we thought them to hate the enemy...I am not surprised at all that he has feelings of hate for his enemy....it happens that the enemies are Muslims

Without taking any sides here, Im simply trying to understand what the word Kafir means.

Here is what wikipedia says about the word:

"Unbeliever. First applied to Meccans who refused submission to Islam, the term implies an active rejection of divine revelation. In Islamic parlance, a kāfir is a word used to describe a person who rejects Islamic faith"

According to the wikipedia article: "All four major Sunni schools of thought hold that whoever follows another religion besides Islam is an unbeliever (kafir)"

So if I read this correctly, it is a mocking word for a non islam believer established by islam believers. According to the wikipedia article the Quaran actually refers Kafir as someone who should be mocked, punished, terrorized, destroyed, slayed, crucified, cursed etc..

Heres the part what I still dont understand: If a non islam believer willingly tattoos this mocking word to his skin, why exactly is this suddenly considered as an insult towards muslims? Shouldnt it still be an insult towards the person wearing the tattoo him self?

If an african american were to tattoo the N-word to his skin, would this also be considered as an insult towards the white supremacists?

Perhaps someone could explain this to me in a simple way? Thanks!

>If an african american were to tattoo the N-word to his skin, would this also be
>considered as an insult towards the white supremacists?

Good example. Probably not. Now if a white person did that they probably meant it as an insult (or is the stupidest person on the planet, or wants attention.)

I have no doubt that if a member of an Arab military group wore an "WTC Demolition Team" (written in English) T-shirt people here would be demanding that the DZ ban him.

>If an african american were to tattoo the N-word to his skin, would this also be
>considered as an insult towards the white supremacists?

Good example. Probably not. Now if a white person did that they probably meant it as an insult (or is the stupidest person on the planet, or wants attention.)

I have no doubt that if a member of an Arab military group wore an "WTC Demolition Team" (written in English) T-shirt people here would be demanding that the DZ ban him.

Yes, but if he wore that T-shirt in an arab country (at which you were a guest), would you expect him to remove it?

eta: for example:

http://blog.godreports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/911-shirt.jpg
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

>Yes, but if he wore that T-shirt in an arab country (at which you were a guest),
>would you expect him to remove it?

Depends. Was it in Dubai at the World Meet, or at a DZ where the US military was training? The meet director or the director of the program would probably ask him to remove it to try to keep the peace. If it was at an all-Arab DZ? Probably not.

Heres the part what I still dont understand: If a non islam believer willingly tattoos this mocking word to his skin, why exactly is this suddenly considered as an insult towards muslims? Shouldnt it still be an insult towards the person wearing the tattoo him self?

If an african american were to tattoo the N-word to his skin, would this also be considered as an insult towards the white supremacists?

In your example you're talking about black people and white supremacists. The Muslims in this story are not analogs to white supremacists, more simply ordinary white people. In fact, I doubt radical Islamists (the better supremacist analog) would take offense to the tattoo.

I am not an Arabic linguist, however I think the connotation is more akin to a black person going around saying all white people are white supremacists. I'm not sure how well that analogy works though because as a white person I'm impervious to being offended.

Multiple Stabbing and Shooting at Para-Jumping Locale.
Lake Wales, FL, March 31, 2013 (AP)

The U.S. State Department is doing its best to soothe ruffled diplomatic feathers tonight after a stabbing and shooting incident between a U.S. Army war veteran suffering from PTSD and members of a Qatari military skydiving team traveling under diplomatic passports.

Apparently the parties engaged in a dispute over a the vet's Arabic-language tattoo which reportedly insulted Islam. The vet is not believed to be Muslim or of Arabic ancestry himself.

It is believed from early reports that at least one assault weapon with high-capacity magazines and a bayonet lug was used in the melee. As the the US vet was being carried to an ambulance on a stretcher, he was reportedly heard screaming, "And that's for the pork in the bomb shelter, too!" Local skydivers interviewed denied knowledge of what bomb shelter the man was referring to. No bomb shelter is known to exist at the Lake Wales airport.

Hadn't realized how much I've missed you until now.
Owned by Remi #?

I posted something on their page not really defending anybody, and speaking out against the soldier with the offensive tattoo.

My response was countered by people who then called me names and telling me to leave the country.

If this is a free speech argument then what I learned today was -

People support free speech unless you tell them something they don't like. Then they do everything they can to oppress you and make you go away.

If that is the quality of person that is boycotting this dropzone, I think we are better off without their business and I don't see this as in issue.

Anyone with half a brain and decent morals can tell that something here is fishy.

I have attached a screen shot of my favorite response of the day.

In your example you're talking about black people and white supremacists. The Muslims in this story are not analogs to white supremacists, more simply ordinary white people. In fact, I doubt radical Islamists (the better supremacist analog) would take offense to the tattoo.

I am not an Arabic linguist, however I think the connotation is more akin to a black person going around saying all white people are white supremacists. I'm not sure how well that analogy works though because as a white person I'm impervious to being offended.

Ok, I think I understand what you are saying.

So in other words, as I now understand it, the word Kafir originally was a mocking word for all non islam believers, but nowadays the majority of muslims have seceded from such thinking and therefore if a non muslim calls him self as a kafir, the majority of muslims think that he still percieves all muslims seeing him as a kafir? (which they find offensive, since they dont see him as a kafir?)

All those who are defending this person, please take time to read their story :

http://www.adventuresofabrokensoldier.com/my-story.html

familiarize yourself with the person's rich MILITARY / COMBAT history
Look at their debilitating injuries. And take the time to figure out where their income has been coming for the last 2+ years
(yop, there' a chance I may be a bit sarcastic)

then when you have learned the facts, please feel free to revise your opinion.

Oh, and as a bonus, please ask Eddie when he got the controversial tat (hint : it was years after he got out of service)

PS When I hear "disabled combat army vet" I imagine a person missing limbs and digits.

PPS Working as a contractor for a 6 digit salary of your own free will : surprise - you get paid that much cause it's dangerous !

Thanks. I already did read that comment much earlier. I have no doubt about what he said in that comment. Im willing to accept that muslims take the world offensively. (though perhaps not by the radicals as suggested) Im simply trying to understand how, why and when did this word turn completely around to be offensive towards muslims themselves as it originally was on the contrary.

Who is the enemy?

it seems like u r.....

Really? Do you honestly think that you invented the tactic of smearing the patriotism of people who criticize the government or military of their own countries? The tactic of saying they hate their country and are enemies of the people?

It's been used since literally thousands of years before you were born, and by some of the toughest characters. You're not strong enough or creative enough to fill their shoes.

Twin towers and all of the other stuff they were able to pull off before the HEROES (All military) went to their homes and kicked their butts!!!

What about this?

We send this kids to protect us and our freedom by risking their own skin. We first send them to war and then we show no support!!! I'm sure that the guy with the "Offensive" tattoo had his good reasons to have that.

It's easy to be on a couch and do nothing while 20 years old are doing the hardest job that exists and pretend that when they come back after they lost hundreds of friends on the battlefield they'll be respectful of the enemy.

Serious question, are you a parody account?

It reads like it's written by some hilariously cliched middle aged southern white male saluting the flag while getting teary eyed. MERICA!

And why the Qatar people don't just compromise and move on? They "demanded" the DZ to take any action, they are here just for few weeks, just adapt and move on, but they are not used to compromise, is their way or not way.

Were you there? Did you witness this 'demand'? :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Twin towers and all of the other stuff they were able to pull off before the HEROES (All military) went to their homes and kicked their butts!!!

What about this?

We send this kids to protect us and our freedom by risking their own skin. We first send them to war and then we show no support!!! I'm sure that the guy with the "Offensive" tattoo had his good reasons to have that.

It's easy to be on a couch and do nothing while 20 years old are doing the hardest job that exists and pretend that when they come back after they lost hundreds of friends on the battlefield they'll be respectful of the enemy.

Serious question, are you a parody account?

It reads like it's written by some hilariously cliched middle aged southern white male saluting the flag while getting teary eyed. MERICA!

Tsk tsk, it's spelled 'MURICA! :P
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

I can't imagine the firestorm of phone calls and e-mails Lake Wales is enduring over this. I read all of the comments under his blog. People are now calling and e-mailing the mayor and council.
There are a few skydivers piling on too in the comments section.[:/]

A PR nightmare:S