Iago

The devastating bit coin bubble

On 4/3/2013 at 3:45 PM, ManagingPrime said:

Thay would be an example of dealing with a single counterparty. Apparently there are p2p bitcoin loan programs already in place.

I'm a fan of people putting their money where their mouth is. If you think it's a good short, go for it. Baring any future Cyprus type events I think it could be a great short candidate.

The fact we are even having this exchange demonstrates that it's a potentially viable alternative currency. I don't doubt there are some decent size shorts out there already.

How many people ten years ago "would never give" thier credit card info online? Times change.

Baring any future Cyprus type events I think it could be a great short candidate.

I've been on the street now for 30+ years.  For most investors, finding a clearing house that will lend you securities for shorting simply does not happen.  And, for good reason.  You can lose way more than your initial investment if the market moves up if you've shorted it.

Many years ago, I worked for a small money management company in NYC.  They had about 30 employees, and the firm managed ~$6 billion dollars.  One of the partners shorted Amazon at $30.  Bear Stearns, their clearing company, called him at $60. 

I was in the office usually around 6am.  That next morning, he walked into the kitchen while I was getting coffee.  I don't have words to describe what he looked like.  Whatever words you would use had to include some facsimile of utter shock.