kallend

Happy Ishtar

Hope you all have fun with those fertility symbols: (Ishtar Eggs and rabbits) this weekend.

Or was it Eostre?

The Vernal Equinox is a good time for all.

Feasting on treif to celebrate the Return of the Magic Jewish Zombie is truly sublime.

BSBD,

Winsor

I doubt Jesus would sanction what religion has done with easter, or the birthday of mithras for that matter. They are both just white washed pagan holidays.

I doubt Jesus would sanction what religion has done with easter, or the birthday of mithras for that matter. They are both just white washed pagan holidays.

Christianity is a white washed pagan religion.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Christianity is a white washed pagan religion.

Cousin Jesus was not a Christian; he was an observant Jew, as were those who followed him before he was executed by Pagan Europeans.

What we know as Christianity today is based on heavily redacted accounts, edited to appeal to the selfsame Pagan Europeans who killed him.

I am not impressed by people who claim to adore the one individual, and yet seek to persecute the rest of his family. Having people wandering around with little execution devices whereby Europeans killed quite a few Jews is about as charming as was the practice of wearing little jewelry Guillotines during the French Revolution.

The Pagan aspects of any of the "Christian" holidays are their most redeeming qualities. When Christians are well fed (on traif), drunk and merry, they are at their best. When they are drunk and mean and carrying torches and pitchforks, the can be just a little scary.

Happy Ishtar.

Winsor

... When they are drunk and mean and carrying torches and pitchforks, the can be just a little scary.

Happy Ishtar.

Winsor

Just a little?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The old ways are the best ways:

Ishtar was the goddess of the morning & evening star. The night of the full moon, known as Shapatu, saw joyous celebrations in her temples. Every woman once in her life had to sit in the grounds of Ishtar's temple and wait for a man to take her on one of these nights. Until she had, she was not allowed to marry!

Today, we call these temples "bars".
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Cousin Jesus was not a Christian; he was an observant Jew, as were those who followed him before he was executed by Pagan Europeans.

What we know as Christianity today is based on heavily redacted accounts, edited to appeal to the selfsame Pagan Europeans who killed him.

I am not impressed by people who claim to adore the one individual, and yet seek to persecute the rest of his family. Having people wandering around with little execution devices whereby Europeans killed quite a few Jews is about as charming as was the practice of wearing little jewelry Guillotines during the French Revolution.

The Pagan aspects of any of the "Christian" holidays are their most redeeming qualities. When Christians are well fed (on traif), drunk and merry, they are at their best. When they are drunk and mean and carrying torches and pitchforks, the can be just a little scary.

Happy Ishtar.

Winsor

That's a very interesting post and it reflects a lot of what I think as well. I always thought that the Jewishness of Jesus was something that was never given enough attention when I went to Sunday school and church as a kid, or later in my teenage years during my stint as a born again Christian.

Here is a fascinating take on the subject by a Jewish rabbi.

If Jesus returns as the Messiah he will be circumcised in the flesh, will require kosher food to eat and insist on a Synagogue to pray on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath, not a Church with crosses representing his crucifixion on a Sunday.

Jesus was not a Christian; he was a Jew. He lived his entire life as a Jew and died as a Jew. On what Christians today celebrate as Easter Jesus came to Roman occupied Jerusalem to celebrate the Festival of Pesach – Passover. He had a traditional Passover ceremony and meal called a ‘seder’ which after his death Christians called his ‘Last Supper’. To most Jews of Jesus’ age (although not necessarily to Jesus himself) ‘salvation’ meant ‘regime change’.

Regarding the Mesopotamian god Ishtar and Easter, this seems to be more of an internet meme than hard fact and there is likely no connection between the two; however it is generally agreed that Eostre is likely where the name of the holiday comes from.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

That's a very interesting post and it reflects a lot of what I think as well. I always thought that the Jewishness of Jesus was something that was never given enough attention when I went to Sunday school and church as a kid, or later in my teenage years during my stint as a born again Christian.

Sadly :S I missed a visit from the JWs last week. But the literature they left stuck in my door showed a picture of Jesus looking for all the world like a nice clean cut Anglo-Saxon.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Seems as though you can pick and choose with the best of them...

I am not impressed by people who claim to adore the one individual, and yet seek to persecute the rest of his family.

Is that an appeal to Godwin?

As I recall, most people didn't seem impressed by Hitler.

That doesn't make much sense...at all.

Why edit the accounts to appeal to pagans who murdered Him hundreds of years earlier?

It seems to me that the pagan aspects of the catholic church have derived from various Roman pagan traditions and other sources outside of canonized scripture.

It's interesting that much of the Roman church's doctrine is antithetical to what they determined to be canon...I suppose scripture just becomes a liability when one's agenda is to seek global power and wealth rather than God. I suspect one of the best way to limit this liability would be to speak Latin and claim that only the priests have the ability to accurately interpret scripture. They're really no different then the Jewish religious leaders that Jesus condemned.

Having people wandering around with little execution devices whereby Europeans killed quite a few Jews is about as charming as was the practice of wearing little jewelry Guillotines during the French Revolution.

Good point...

I think you can blame Constantine for that one.

Since no one has actually said it, yet, Happy Easter!

Happy Easter or whatever you wanna call it, Lisa... :-*

The good thing about all this is that whether the contention against religion comes from an atheist or a christian, it forces those who are serious about their faith to reexamine it and all the nonsense we've be raised to believe. ie, christmas trees, easter eggs, bunny rabbits, roman pagan goddess worship of Mary and transubstantiation....etc. None of which are sanctioned from scripture.

Here is a fascinating take on the subject by a Jewish rabbi.

If Jesus returns as the Messiah he will be circumcised in the flesh, will require kosher food to eat and insist on a Synagogue to pray on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath, not a Church with crosses representing his crucifixion on a Sunday.

Now that's just complete and utter nonsense....I'm still laughing at the idea of God being preoccupied with mutilating his own penis before exacting his vengeance.

Jesus was not a Christian; he was a Jew. He lived his entire life as a Jew and died as a Jew. On what Christians today celebrate as Easter Jesus came to Roman occupied Jerusalem to celebrate the Festival of Pesach – Passover. He had a traditional Passover ceremony and meal called a ‘seder’ which after his death Christians called his ‘Last Supper’. To most Jews of Jesus’ age (although not necessarily to Jesus himself) ‘salvation’ meant ‘regime change’.

True...they just ignore all the other not-so-glorious text. For example...many Jews have admitted that Isaiah was a nut and reject his prophecy.

This same sentiment was shared with Peter. Christ just told the apostles about all the glory of the messiah that will come and how they will be given the keys of heaven...then Christ said, but first he "must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life."

"Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”

Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

See...peter, like most Jews was preoccupied with the "human concerns" - glory, power etc, while ignoring the pain and humiliation that would get them there.

"We all want to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die"

etc...

Easter is only mentioned once in the entire Bible, when Herod the king was about to celebrate it....(.In Acts 12:4 )

They say EASTER comes from Ishtar, and there is no mention of Ishtar anywhere in the entire Bible.

I do believe the current Easter celebrations had their start in pagan rituals, and it is as pagan now as it was more than 2000 years ago. The Catholic Church were responsible for changing the Sabbath Day to the first day of the week, and they have screwed up many other things as well.

First off,I am not religious,but I have no problem saying happy easter to someone I know to be a christian.
I do not try to tell anyone(christians,muslims,jews,hindu's ect...) things about their religious beliefs that may offend them unless they try to engage me in religious debate(preaching to me).
I find it very interesting how so many people take shots at christians but very seldom take shots at jews, and especially muslims.
I know there are militant christian groups,but there are just as many militant jewish groups,and even more militant muslim groups out there.
In fact most of the violent religious groups seem to be muslim,yet it is not very popular with the liberals to speake ill of islam.
The early jews,muslims,and christians originated from the same religious beliefs if I'm not mistaken.
If someone wants to celebrate a pagan day as a christian day,I say let them celebrate and be happy.
If someone wants to observe hanukkah,or ramadan then so be it,but when religious teachings promote violence against non believers then I have a problem with it.
So since you are so impartial and brave,I expect you will take shots at all religions and their holy days.

As a cynical/skeptical agnostic type,,,, I just have to say that those damn Christians, just rubbing it in our faces and forcing us to go to....well.......no where in particular. But, forcing me to believe,....well...nothing really in particular.....

Why, just Sunday, my neighbors (admittedly way too 'churchy' for my tastes) actually had the nerve to give us a little packet of M&M's with a card on it saying "Happy Easter".

the NERVE of some people. How incredibly rude.

I might just not eat that candy. I just might not.......

too late

(Of course, the atheists are much nicer, one guy I know enjoys making public zombie Jesus Easter jokes to anyone of faith he knows and then sniggering to himself and calling them stupid to their faces)

giving candy to neighbors and wishing them a nice day vs calling others stupid and insulting their privately held beliefs in public places - they are the exact same thing!!!

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

First off,I am not religious,but I have no problem saying happy easter to someone I know to be a christian.
I do not try to tell anyone(christians,muslims,jews,hindu's ect...) things about their religious beliefs that may offend them unless they try to engage me in religious debate(preaching to me).
I find it very interesting how so many people take shots at christians but very seldom take shots at jews, and especially muslims.
I know there are militant christian groups,but there are just as many militant jewish groups,and even more militant muslim groups out there.
In fact most of the violent religious groups seem to be muslim,yet it is not very popular with the liberals to speake ill of islam.
The early jews,muslims,and christians originated from the same religious beliefs if I'm not mistaken.
If someone wants to celebrate a pagan day as a christian day,I say let them celebrate and be happy.
If someone wants to observe hanukkah,or ramadan then so be it,but when religious teachings promote violence against non believers then I have a problem with it.
So since you are so impartial and brave,I expect you will take shots at all religions and their holy days.

I do indeed, with a frequency proportional to the extent to which they try to force their beliefs on society. And in the USA, the Christian religious right is the most in-your-face.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I know as well as anyone how in your face some christians can be,since my father was a former honky tonk redneck alcoholic born again christian who went seventh day adventist on us.
The worst intolerance from any religion that I have witnessed though was from muslims.
I watched a iranian college student get more disrespectful,insulting,aggressive,and demeaning than I have ever seen toward not just the manifest girl where I was working at the time,but a female TI as well.
I witnessed this from muslims when I was working in vegas as well.
I have also seen a group of jews accuse all the staff and the dzo of being anti-semetic while in vegas because we refused to give them a discount on tandems and handcam.
I have seen people of other faiths get nasty as well,but nothing close to the level of disrespect I've seen from muslims and jews.
The muslims like to go to other countries and enforce sharia law and commit honor killings and they are also more likely to blow themselves up on a bus packed full of other people.
Not saying there are not religious nuts in all faiths,but the muslim seem to take the cake.

Lets see,the palestinians blow themselves up in heavily populated areas in israel and launch a few rockets.
Then israel blows the crap out of populated areas of palestinian turf.
Christians in iran are imprisoned for preaching.
Fundamenalist muslims with the taliban shoot little girls in the face for going to school.
There are instances of honor killings by muslims not just in the US, but all around the world,and these are just a few examples of religious intolerance.
The christians have their checkered past with the crusades and witch hunts and what not,but are now relatively non violent when compared to islamist,and jews.
I can understand how the persecution of the jews in recent history would make them very defensive and they are surounded by intolerant muslim populations as well.
But if you look at the history of the israelites,prior to there stint in egypt,they killed alot of people in the name of god as well.
I am not religious and do not practice any faith,and actually have a bad taste in my mouth from all the christianity that was forced down my throat as a kid.
I think people should be able to practice whatever religion they want as long as they do not hurt anyone in the process.
I believe in tolerence,but it seems that there are alot of instances of muslims using violence and calling it gods will now days,which doesn't seem very tolerant to me at all.
So why are these simple observations BS to you?