rushmc

The Teacher and higher ups of the Schools admin should be fired as bigots

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_s_palm_beach_county/boca_raton/florida-atlantic-university-jesus-stomping-case-gov-rick-scott-upset-over-deandre-poole-class

Florida Atlantic University 'Jesus stomping' case: Student Ryan Rotelas upset, Rick Scott comments

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Where is the threshold on the amount of people who need to follow and believe in some imaginary creature, like say the flying spaghetti monster, that I need to start respecting these peoples faith and beliefs and I can be prosecuted and convicted in court for offending them and their belief system?

100?
10000?
1000000?

Or is the amount of time that has elapsed since they came up with their imaginary sky god?
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Where is the threshold on the amount of people who need to follow and believe in some imaginary creature, like say the flying spaghetti monster, that I need to start respecting these peoples faith and beliefs and I can be prosecuted and convicted in court for offending them and their belief system?

100?
10000?
1000000?

Or is the amount of time that has elapsed since they came up with their imaginary sky god?

Got nothing to do with your post

Tell everyone what

If these same teachers would also throw down a picture of Mohammad I will shut up

And just in case you STILL dont get it
where is your tolerance?
Why do people have to be such bigots when it comes to Chrisitanity???
Abraham Lincoln

100?
10000?
1000000?

Tell everyone what

If these same teachers would also throw down a picture of Mohammad I will shut up

where is your tolerance?

[Wendy] I'm pretty sure the point was to use a symbol that would be sensitive to the students in that particular classroom; and most if not all of those kids in the class were probably Christians. That's what made the Jesus symbolism a relevant teaching tool. Had it been a classroom of mostly Jewish students an item of Jewish symbolism would have been the relevant teaching tool. [/Wendy]

I am not religious. I believe in scientific method and try my best to be a realist.
That being said,I find what this so called educator did repulsive.
It is one thing to debate different philosophies,but to try and force another person to do anything against there religious beliefs, or to commit an act of disrespect toward their religious symbols goes against the bill of rights and freedom.
I consider this to be tyrannical behavior on the part of the educator.

100?
10000?
1000000?

Tell everyone what

where is your tolerance?

[Wendy] I'm pretty sure the point was to use a symbol that would be sensitive to the students in that particular classroom; and most if not all of those kids in the class were probably Christians. That's what made the Jesus symbolism a relevant teaching tool. Had it been a classroom of mostly Jewish students an item of Jewish symbolism would have been the relevant teaching tool. [/Wendy]

Teaching tool?

No, the teacher is the only tool here
Abraham Lincoln

I'm pretty sure the point was to use a symbol that would be sensitive to the students in that particular classroom; and most if not all of those kids in the class were probably Christians. That's what made the Jesus symbolism a relevant teaching tool. Had it been a classroom of mostly Jewish students an item of Jewish symbolism would have been the relevant teaching tool.

I can understand the lesson being used to teach symbolism, but I don't understand why the kid got in trouble because he didn't want to step on the paper. Isn't that sort of the point of a symbolism lesson? That if something is symbolic of something sacred to someone that they'll treat it with more reverence?
Either the teacher is a complete ass or we're not getting the full story.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

:D:D:DBoy do I feel superfluous here:D:D:D

That said, I agree with Namowal, that the exercise is strong, gets the point across, and that any sort of punishment would be way out of line.

Too far out of line? Very possibly. How many of either those students or our keyboard rangers are as appalled at the desecration of the Koran that riles people up?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)