skinnay

Gun Advocates Begin Targeted Killings

Anyone who uses a gun can be considered a gun advocate, and any victim who isn't chosen at random is a selected target.

Gun advocates have been killing targets since guns were invented.

And here we have demonstrated desperation of a gun banner circling the wagons and trying to yet again, re-direct a thread

Why do you persist with this lie? I have never advocated a gun ban and you know it perfectly well.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Anyone who uses a gun can be considered a gun advocate...

Anyone...?

Sure. At the time they are using the gun they are certainly advocating for its use. Action speaking louder than words...

What about a mentally ill person or a child who doesn't understand what they're holding?

or a convicted felon?

They would still fit into the catch-all mold that kallend was trying to create, and so kinda misses my point. He thinks it's funny that people who are outspoken in favor of gun rights can be referred to with the same term as people who commit crimes with guns, even if it means ignoring context or what it is about guns that either person is advocating. I think it's funny that he has overlooked the group of people he complains the most about regarding their access to guns.

Anyone who uses a gun can be considered a gun advocate...

Anyone...?

Sure. At the time they are using the gun they are certainly advocating for its use. Action speaking louder than words...

What about a mentally ill person or a child who doesn't understand what they're holding?

or a convicted felon?

They would still fit into the catch-all mold that kallend was trying to create, and so kinda misses my point. He thinks it's funny that people who are outspoken in favor of gun rights can be referred to with the same term as people who commit crimes with guns, even if it means ignoring context or what it is about guns that either person is advocating. I think it's funny that he has overlooked the group of people he complains the most about regarding their access to guns.

Just because someone is mentally unstable doesn't mean that their behavior is not an indication of what they advocate. Ditto for felons, who apparently advocate for a life of crime.

Just because someone is mentally unstable doesn't mean that their behavior is not an indication of what they advocate.

You consider someone firing a gun when they don't understand what it is to be advocating guns? Couldn't they just be advocating loud noises?

edited: verbs are good.

Just because someone is mentally unstable doesn't mean that their behavior is not an indication of what they advocate. Ditto for felons, who apparently advocate for a life of crime.

I disagree with your definition of "advocate".
To advocate is to speak out to convince others to share your POV.
Ref: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/advocate

Humorous example:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hunter is saying that he likes to *do* these activities, but does not want to *advocate* others do them.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Just because someone is mentally unstable doesn't mean that their behavior is not an indication of what they advocate.

You consider someone firing a gun when they don't understand what it is to be advocating guns? Couldn't they just be advocating loud noises?

Who says they don't understand it? Did Lanza not understand his mother's guns? Did Loughner not understand his guns? did Cho not understand his guns?

You just make excuses.

Who says they don't understand it? Did Lanza not understand his mother's guns? Did Loughner not understand his guns? did Cho not understand his guns?

You just make excuses.

I make no excuses for anyone. You just tried to collapse the hypothetical on three specific people but you violated its terms.

In any event, this discussion is stupid. Not everyone who fires a gun is "advocating" guns in any meaningful way, or in any way comparable to those who advocate responsible gun ownership, and who are against restrictions with serious unaddressed implementation problems. And if a child or a mentally ill person doesn't even understand what a gun is gets a hold of one and fires it, it would be very unfortunate, but it wouldn't be gun advocacy.

http://news.yahoo.com/intruder-shot-dead-home-rural-colorado-prosecutor-010647800.html

This is awful. Especially in a place like Colorado - how on earth could anyone condone two people shooting an intruder. They should have called the police and let the cops take care of it.

I think the solution is clear. Everyone should become a police officer.