ryoder

Post a photo of your 11yo with a .22 - Get visit from cops

If their department is anything like Texas CPS, then you can be promise that they work very hard not to do their job. House with gang bangers selling dope? Removing the kids would harmful to the kids. Normal family who put a unruly child in time out and the kid screamed out of anger for 20 minutes? CPS does a full on investigation...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If their department is anything like Texas CPS, then you can be promise that they work very hard not to do their job. House with gang bangers selling dope? Removing the kids would harmful to the kids. Normal family who put a unruly child in time out and the kid screamed out of anger for 20 minutes? CPS does a full on investigation...

Screamed for 20 minutes?? Crap, If I even pouted on my way to the corner I got my bum swatted.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Screamed for 20 minutes?? Crap, If I even pouted on my way to the corner I got my bum swatted.

That's a random example that I could think of off the top of my head. Another frustrating thing is watching a family deal with trying to adopt a family member's child in which the father is gone and the mother wants nothing to do with the child. A complete train wreck of bureaucracy. Then you send reports of family violence, drug abuse, selling drugs, criminal street gang membership and the organization really wants nothing to do with the situation, washing their hands of it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That's a random example that I could think of off the top of my head. Another frustrating thing is watching a family deal with trying to adopt a family member's child in which the father is gone and the mother wants nothing to do with the child. A complete train wreck of bureaucracy. Then you send reports of family violence, drug abuse, selling drugs, criminal street gang membership and the organization really wants nothing to do with the situation, washing their hands of it.

My parents dealt with that a little bit and yes it was in Texas. My youngest brothers birthmother(surrogate) gave birth to a little girl born addicted to drugs, my parents asked for the baby and wanted to first take custody of the baby and then hopefully adopt her.(Parents didn't ask for ANY financial compensation) She was sent into foster care,over the next 2 years she was in and out of foster care homes. My parents continually asked for her. Eventually,they were no longer given any information and lost touch with what happened to her.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Imagine if they saw this, (also posted on FB): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By_u5kmvq9oB|

Oh my god! A young adult operating operating firearms in a controlled environment under professional supervision! She's even exercising trigger discipline and barrel control!

Obviously they are training the next wave of school shooters! Oh the humanity!

I'm pretty leftist when it comes to gun-control (aussie, so already have strict gun control anyway), but I was quite impressed with that video. She's clearly well-trained, and has a solid grasp on safety. My concern is gun owners who have neither.
I know laws vary drastically in the US from state to state, is it mandatory as a rule to have a certain level of safety/weapons training before you get your gun? Or do you just sign your papers, pay your money then pick up your weapon?
I'm not trying to start any sort of fight (I'm new here ;)), but I'm genuinely curious if there's ever going to be serious middle ground on the gun control debate somewhere between Cold Dead Hands and Ban ALL The Guns!!...
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Imagine if they saw this, (also posted on FB): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By_u5kmvq9oB|

Oh my god! A young adult operating operating firearms in a controlled environment under professional supervision! She's even exercising trigger discipline and barrel control!

I'm pretty leftist when it comes to gun-control (aussie, so already have strict gun control anyway), but I was quite impressed with that video. She's clearly well-trained, and has a solid grasp on safety. My concern is gun owners who have neither.
I know laws vary drastically in the US from state to state, is it mandatory as a rule to have a certain level of safety/weapons training before you get your gun? Or do you just sign your papers, pay your money then pick up your weapon?
I'm not trying to start any sort of fight (I'm new here ;)), but I'm genuinely curious if there's ever going to be serious middle ground on the gun control debate somewhere between Cold Dead Hands and Ban ALL The Guns!!...

I don't believe there are any rules on training for adults.

Will a responsible FFL dealer sell a piece to someone that they know can't handle it? Don't know- never bought heat myself.

Fair enough, cheers for that. Question for the gun enthusiasts on here then, would you support a certain minimum level of safety training as a qualifier for weapons ownership?
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Dave- It's no way restricted to Texas. In a 10 month period we removed over 200 children from rock houses to CPS. All but 4 were returned to the houses within days... Why the four? We raided the mother's house 9 separate times. I guess her double secret probation finally ended.

i would certainly support minimum training required in order to purchase guns. and i am also going to post a picture of my son at a range on my facebook page as soon as i can find it. if you have to take a test to drive, why not to own a gun? it's reasonable, and military service with a good discharge should be allowed to serve as proof so you don't have to take the test, or police service.
http://kitswv.com

If you're going to be a responsible gun owner, then you should know how to operate it properly and safely, know how to strip it down, clean it, and reassemble it, as well as be aware of local gun laws in your area.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

However, if gun ownership is a right, should the government require any of that? They don't require any of it for anything else that's specifically identified as a right (e.g. speech, voting, exercise of religion, assembly).

Note: I agree that guns are different in some ways. Especially considering the first part of the second amendment, talking about the militia. Since we don't have a militia-based national defense anymore, I'm not sure it's exercised as it was originally intended.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

i would certainly support minimum training required in order to purchase guns. and i am also going to post a picture of my son at a range on my facebook page as soon as i can find it. if you have to take a test to drive, why not to own a gun? it's reasonable, and military service with a good discharge should be allowed to serve as proof so you don't have to take the test, or police service.

absolutely

(but it shouldn't be a huge cost or expense to demonstrate it if you already have that knowledge - a simple quiz or personal demo with the sheriff would do. Or a certificate from a gun safety course just about anywhere. Or transcripts from a complete course in high school even. The thing to avoid is the legislation of unnecessarily complex training required from only gun sanctioned and expensive course providers....that would get out of control fast)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In some states, yes you have to take a training course to be licensed. In Virginia for example, to get a concealed carry permit you have to take a class, that's why my Georgia permit isn't valid up there, basic sheriff's background check was all that was required.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

In some states, yes you have to take a training course to be licensed. In Virginia for example, to get a concealed carry permit you have to take a class, that's why my Georgia permit isn't valid up there, basic sheriff's background check was all that was required.

WA was one of the first "shall issue" states and has no training requirement. With that said, I would like to see a 4-8 hour class required for a CPL that would cover gun handling, gun safety and the legalities of lethal force for self defense. Too many people have poor gun habits and are incorrect on what they may and may not legally do.

I would also support a 1-2 hour class of gun education for ALL gun owners. Can't buy a gun unless you have the license. I hate to say it, but a certain percentage of gun owners need a little more training. [:/]

I'd be OK with some gun training be required for all citizens. Just as some civics training is required for kids to get out of school, it might be that some recognition of the benefits and consequences of firearms.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

4-8 hour class ....
.support a 1-2 hour class of gun education

Why do they have to have a set amount of time?
If the student can show the basics and knowledge correctly, I don't much care if it takes 5 minutes or 20 hours.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'd be OK with some gun training be required for all citizens. Just as some civics training is required for kids to get out of school, it might be that some recognition of the benefits and consequences of firearms.

Make it part of the public school curriculum.

I've been in the military and my company was behind Bravo company on the hand grenade course. One girl got shrapnel in her leg because she pulled the pin and then dropped the grenade inside the bunker. I agree with the goal to educate those who are unfamiliar with firearms...but inevitably there will be some dumbass that blows their shit up because [suprise] theyre a total idiot and shouldnt have something like that in their hands in the first place.