wmw999

Get rid of the penny?

In this article we hear about the fact that Canada is getting rid of its penny. I know that the idea is floated periodically in the US, and plenty of people say NOOOOO!!!

So what say the denizens of dz.com?

Only 4 options, including boobies. I realize there were many other possibilities, but, well, suck it up

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hell, yes!
Get rid of it!
Just round everything to the nearest tenth of a dollar, instead of the hundredth of a dollar. Then we can also ditch the nickel.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm thinking that anytime you do away with the lowest denomination, it makes it impossible to keep inflation at bay.

How are you going to keep prices down (if you so choose) if you have no option?

Simplistic, perhaps, but the premise is true.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

>I'm thinking that anytime you do away with the lowest denomination, it makes it
>impossible to keep inflation at bay.

?? Because $3.00 will be radically different than $2.99?

Gas stations already use 9/10's of a cent, and we use to have half cent coins. They were discontinued in 1860; inflation didn't run out of control.

I'm thinking that anytime you do away with the lowest denomination, it makes it impossible to keep inflation at bay.

How are you going to keep prices down (if you so choose) if you have no option?

Simplistic, perhaps, but the premise is true.

When I was a kid, a long time ago, I used to buy the two cent Reeses Peanut Butter Cups ....... I was hoping they might come back some day .....but not without pennies for change from a Nickel ...... [:/]

Life is short ... jump often.

Hell, yes!
Get rid of it!
Just round everything to the nearest tenth of a dollar, instead of the hundredth of a dollar. Then we can also ditch the nickel.

I'm not in the US, but here in Aus we got rid of our 1c and 2c pieces when I was a kid. I would also fully support the abolition of our 5c as well - I used to work for a company that processed cash/coin and those fuckers jammed up my machines like no other... :P
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

When Finland went to euro in 2002 the 1c and 2c coins were released only as a novelty item. There aren't any in circulation, unless someone who bought them in 2002 has used them, although they can be used to pay for stuff.

In stores, if you pay with credit/debit card, you pay the exact sum. If you pay with cash then 0.01/0.02 cents are rounded down to 0.00, 0.03/0.04/0.06/0.07 are rounded up/down to 0.05 and 0.08/0.09 to 0.10.

There is really no point in having 1c/2c coins.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Especially considering it is a known and stated fact that it costs $.02 to make each penny.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

Lose the penny. We'll still have Lincoln on the 5 Note. Lose the dollar bill as well as the 2 dollar bill, we'll still have Washington & Jefferson on coins.

When we visited New Zealand, I was impressed with their currency. Smallest coin is a dime, which is almost never used. Usually prices are rounded up or down to the nearest 20 cents. No bills below the $5 bill; dollar and two dollar coins are similar, but the $2 coin is thicker - and ALL coins have distinctly different edges, for the blind to identify them. Bills are printed on shear thin plastic, in different colors and sizes for different denominations. It's time we started making currency for the 21st century.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It's time we started making currency for the 21st century.

well, that's 20th century, we're two centuries out of date, not one - but it seems silly to spend the money to revamp our entire minting and printing technology for something that's perfectly functional as is

why not just ditch it completely in lieu of personal credit/transfer cards? or even no cards and just account transfers and balances with a thumb print?

(just think, uncle sam could track and tax and monitor - maybe even approve or deny - every single purchase each person makes)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

well, that's 20th century, we're two centuries out of date, not one - but it seems silly to spend the money to revamp our entire minting and printing technology for something that's perfectly functional as is

why not just ditch it completely in lieu of personal credit/transfer cards? or even no cards and just account transfers and balances with a thumb print?

(just think, uncle sam could track and tax and monitor - maybe even approve or deny - every single purchase each person makes)

Then you'd have to change all vending machines to accept debit cards.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

and,...AND..., remove all those little pockets off of blue jeans

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Why would you want to remove the watch pocket because they do away with the penny? Some peoples reasoning astounds me.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

Actually, I have found those pockets to be pretty useful for storing beer bottle caps when you can't find a trash can nearby. Ditto for soda can pop tops that are saved for Children's Hospital. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Actually, I have found those pockets to be pretty useful for storing beer bottle caps when you can't find a trash can nearby.

I stand corrected - let the market decide if the demand for the little pockets is needed.

This is why social engineering is so stupid.

Actually, I have found those pockets to be pretty useful for storing beer bottle caps when you can't find a trash can nearby.

I stand corrected - let the market decide if the demand for the little pockets is needed.

I use that little pocket all the time. Greatest thing since zippers.

What I keep behind my zipper, wouldn't fit in that little pocket.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Christ, everything gets turned into a gun thread.

Christ, everything gets turned into a gun thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kU0XCVey_U:P