DARK

Immigration reform

No particular story inspired this post just a general question about what people think about immigration reform? I am specifically NOT asking about weather or not current illegals should be given legal status, I don't really care. I think its dumb not to but ultimately it dosnt effect me one way or another. I am talking about the ridiculous state of affairs currently in place which affect SKILLED workers who want to come here to work legally, pay taxes and fill roles that americans are currently not filling for wathever reason.

Personally. I have lived and worked and paid taxes legally in the US for the majority of the last 5 years. In two months my work visa will expire and I will return home and try and upskill again and see if I can figure out a way to return legally.

Ultimately if nothing changes I can still come here for up to 6 months out of the year on holiday. I dont know if it is legal but I can work from anywhere I have a laptop so I could just hang out here for a few months at a time work from my laptop and get paid into my account back home and pay taxes in Ireland.

Dosnt that sound ridiculous though? I currently have an honors bachelor of science degree in one of the most sought after areas right now and in 12 months time I will have a masters and industry experience.

My earning potential would probably be twice the average industrial wage and therefore pay more than twice the amount of taxes but the best way for me to get a greencard is to enter a lottery every year were they give out 50K (I think) a year and treat everyone equally so people living on welfare back home with no skills or qualifications have the same chance of getting one as I do.

Not only that, but you guys welcome people who want to come and study here, the universities take their tuition fees and train them up to a very high level (you guys have great institutions no doubt) and then you make it so hard for the students to stay after they graduate (which many of them would) that they are forced to go home were their skills are of no benefit whatsoever to the US.

Discuss

You might want to look into your green card options. The lottery is but one of several ways to get one. Your chances increase significantly one you have your masters, and again if you get a doctoral or post doc.

Additionally, it depends on whether you're work sponsored for a green card, or are applying personally.

Speaking as someone in exactly your situation, I'd be really careful about working while on a holiday visa. Particularly if you've previously worked here and still want a green card. If you're caught doing that you can say goodbye to ever getting approved. In fact, you can say god by to ever even getting a holiday visa again...

No particular story inspired this post just a general question about what people think about immigration reform? I am specifically NOT asking about weather or not current illegals should be given legal status, I don't really care. I think its dumb not to but ultimately it dosnt effect me one way or another. I am talking about the ridiculous state of affairs currently in place which affect SKILLED workers who want to come here to work legally, pay taxes and fill roles that americans are currently not filling for wathever reason.

Personally. I have lived and worked and paid taxes legally in the US for the majority of the last 5 years. In two months my work visa will expire and I will return home and try and upskill again and see if I can figure out a way to return legally.

Ultimately if nothing changes I can still come here for up to 6 months out of the year on holiday. I dont know if it is legal but I can work from anywhere I have a laptop so I could just hang out here for a few months at a time work from my laptop and get paid into my account back home and pay taxes in Ireland.

Dosnt that sound ridiculous though? I currently have an honors bachelor of science degree in one of the most sought after areas right now and in 12 months time I will have a masters and industry experience.

My earning potential would probably be twice the average industrial wage and therefore pay more than twice the amount of taxes but the best way for me to get a greencard is to enter a lottery every year were they give out 50K (I think) a year and treat everyone equally so people living on welfare back home with no skills or qualifications have the same chance of getting one as I do.

Not only that, but you guys welcome people who want to come and study here, the universities take their tuition fees and train them up to a very high level (you guys have great institutions no doubt) and then you make it so hard for the students to stay after they graduate (which many of them would) that they are forced to go home were their skills are of no benefit whatsoever to the US.

Discuss

You might want to look into your green card options. The lottery is but one of several ways to get one. Your chances increase significantly one you have your masters, and again if you get a doctoral or post doc.

Additionally, it depends on whether you're work sponsored for a green card, or are applying personally.

Speaking as someone in exactly your situation, I'd be really careful about working while on a holiday visa. Particularly if you've previously worked here and still want a green card. If you're caught doing that you can say god by to every getting approved.

The immigration process is broken.

Take it from someone who's been in the country completely legally, for 7 1/2 years, and still a good 4-7 years from being able to apply for permanent residency, and working with one of the country's better immigration law firm.
Remster

Speaking as someone in exactly your situation, I'd be really careful about working while on a holiday visa. Particularly if you've previously worked here and still want a green card. If you're caught doing that you can say goodbye to ever getting approved. In fact, you can say god by to ever even getting a holiday visa again...

Yeah I was being overly simplistic I am fairly familiar with how it all works. Yes I can get sponsored for h1b1 but then I am locked into that company unless I find a new to take over the sponsorship. when you are on a h1b1 you can apply for permanent residency which puts you on a list.

a friend of mine has been here for more than 7 years, has a degree and an mba and her promotion opportunities and everything associated with that has been super limited because the company knows she has no other options.

The sponsorship process is complicated enough that companies just don't want to even bother with it in my experience adn there is a limited number every year. This year applications open on the 1st of april and the lawyers I was talking to expect all available visas to be filled that day.

I am not going to work illegally I have been legal here long enough and now I am in a situation were I cant risk not being allowed back in in the future so thats out the door.

I really should find a lawyer and ask if working remotely for a company back in Ireland counts as working while in america. Depending how you look at it doing it that way avoids all of the disadvantages the immigration laws are trying to avoid (like taking jobs americans could fill, having people arrive and get on welfare etc) and has all of the benefits of a person working here for an american company accept for taxation.

It took my brother a year and a half to get his wife of 5 years into the country (they'd both been living overseas, and have children). They had to fly through Germany to get some paperwork done in Japan, because if she'd flown through LA it would have re-started the clock.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yup - that's the pain in the arse. I'm tied to my company on an L1. It DOES really limit your options, but at least it counts towards green card application eventually.

I'm hopefully starting my green card application next month - lawyers willing.

I'm sure a lot of us know of someone in these same (or similar) circumstances. This is exactly what is meant when you hear lawmakers taking about not letting "path to citizenship" letting illegal immigrants end up getting citizenship before law-abiding, rule-following, patient, tax-paying people get to see a resolution to their own ridiculously long and expensive processes.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I'm sure a lot of us know of someone in these same (or similar) circumstances. This is exactly what is meant when you hear lawmakers taking about not letting "path to citizenship" letting illegal immigrants end up getting citizenship before law-abiding, rule-following, patient, tax-paying people get to see a resolution to their own ridiculously long and expensive processes.

There are people recomending that I overstay so that if the path to citizenship gets opened up to illegals I will be here illegally and can apply. I am not going to but its pretty crazy that that might be the easiest way for me to do it.

Also I have no intention of becoming an american citizen I would just like to be able to work here and come and go as I please

(You have to understand the general mindset that assumes everybody must want to) :S

I don't see anything "general" about it.
Some people might think that way, others might not.
I think a good approach is to take people as individuals and not let your stereotypes get in the way (unless it's used for mockery and general evil, then that's ok.....)

At least that's how everyone from big countries think...:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Everyone who wants to come to the US to work should be able to. Only exceptions should be criminal (i.e. serious crimes disqualify you) medical (i.e. plagues) and military (i.e. no nationals from someone we are at war with.)

I agree completely, except for your exceptions.(somewhat racist I think)

A person being an earthling can live/work anywhere on earth they what.

There are people recomending that I overstay so that if the path to citizenship gets opened up to illegals I will be here illegally and can apply. I am not going to but its pretty crazy that that might be the easiest way for me to do it.

Also I have no intention of becoming an american citizen I would just like to be able to work here and come and go as I please

Ah, yes -- good clarification. :)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!