promise5

Dumb butt Social Liberals

My I ask if you asked the same question in the thread dumb ass conservatives? Do I think that because someone is a liberal that they are dumb? no do i think that because someone is a conservative they are dumb? no
Its just interesting that you asked the question here yet didn't ask it in the other thread.

No, because the OP in that thread clearly explained what it was he thought the social conservatives were being dumb about.

In this thread, just like in the other one, you don't appear to have given any thought whatsoever to why you believe the things you believe. It's 'just because'.

I'm sorry if that is the way it appears,like I said I don't believe someone is dumb just because their views oppose mine. I thought that is what you were asking. The title of the thread was meant to show how silly and mocking it is that someone/group is considered dumb because they view/believe things differently then someone else.
As to why I believe the way I do I thought I said, yes it's partly due to faith, yes it's partly due the way I was raised and yes it is partly do to what I have seen, read and heard and then decided what I believed. I would think it would be the same as anyone else. You have the right to believe all that is wrong and close minded,etc. etc. and I have the right to believe it is right. Isn't that the way each of us reaches our own beliefs and opinions.
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Crap, I forgot my simply put, :P:P:P
ass hat bullies :P:P

For example.... ?

Anything?

How about, when they are loosing a debate they pull out the race card?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

No I made that statement, I did not mean to imply that my friends made that statement, and yes we have had that discussion as well,and are still able to be friends and respectful of each other.

Liberals can not comprehend this
Abraham Lincoln

No I made that statement, I did not mean to imply that my friends made that statement, and yes we have had that discussion as well,and are still able to be friends and respectful of each other.

Thanks for clarifying.

Why do you have friends that lie to you though?

If its a choice and they tell you its not, they are obviously lying to you...I wouldn't hang out with people that lie to my face, just some words of advice.

People can and do see things differently and not be as you would say "lying to each other". We see this issue differently and still have a friendship. I don't know why it seems hard for people to accept that. I guess we don't have to only be friends with people that see everything the exact same way we do.

Enough pissing into the wind for me.

Enjoy the tiny world you live in.

BOOOOM
Abraham Lincoln

No, I don't think I need to sit down with his son. As I said I do have friends that have made the choice to be gay. I know where they stand and they know where I stand and we are still able to have a friendship and respect each other.

Made the choice to be gay?

Really?

I hear this a lot from the conservative/anti-gay types. Those that are against homosexuality on a biblical/religious/morality basis.

So I always ask: When did you choose to be heterosexual?

Personally, I never made a choice. Around 12-13 I started to find girls interesting. And I've been in trouble ever since.:P

Seriously, I am not and cannot be sexually attracted to a man, no matter how handsome, buff, whatever.
There have been some pictures posted of some amazing athletes, often "covered nudes" where the person is not wearing any clothes, but body position, hands and props are "strategically placed."

The men are in fabulous shape, and show amazing physique. I am envious, but not sexually attracted.
The women, however... :)

And it doesn't take an amazing athletic female body for me to be attracted. Like Ron White said:

"You see one woman naked...

You want to see them all naked"

So to repeat, when did you choose to be hetero?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

No, I don't think I need to sit down with his son. As I said I do have friends that have made the choice to be gay. I know where they stand and they know where I stand and we are still able to have a friendship and respect each other.

Made the choice to be gay?

Really?

I hear this a lot from the conservative/anti-gay types. Those that are against homosexuality on a biblical/religious/morality basis.

So I always ask: When did you choose to be heterosexual?

Personally, I never made a choice. Around 12-13 I started to find girls interesting. And I've been in trouble ever since.:P

Seriously, I am not and cannot be sexually attracted to a man, no matter how handsome, buff, whatever.
There have been some pictures posted of some amazing athletes, often "covered nudes" where the person is not wearing any clothes, but body position, hands and props are "strategically placed."

The men are in fabulous shape, and show amazing physique. I am envious, but not sexually attracted.
The women, however... :)

And it doesn't take an amazing athletic female body for me to be attracted. Like Ron White said:

"You see one woman naked...

You want to see them all naked"

So to repeat, when did you choose to be hetero?

If I made the statement that everyone is born hetero and then sometime after that the choice is made. Your response would be? I also expect to get blasted for even making that statement.
Believe me I tried.

If I made the statement that everyone is born hetero and then sometime after that the choice is made.

Not sure about what his response would be, but mine would be something on the order of why would you hang around people who not only choose something you find to be unnatural, but they must be stupid too.

It's way harder to be gay (or transgender) than it is to be straight. Especially if you're a guy, you have to wonder if each guy you come on to is going to kick the shit out of you because he's not gay after all. It's completely acceptable to share about your heterosexual relationship anywhere; show pictures, wear a ring, whatever. It's perfectly acceptable to flirt mildly with someone of the opposite gender -- if you're rebuffed, it's OK as long as it was mild.

Now try that same mild flirting with someone of the same gender.

I'm not gay, never have been. But I have a relative who's transgender, and no one decides all of a sudden, in high school no less. to go from being a successful boy to being a marginalized girl, because it's cool.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If I made the statement that everyone is born hetero and then sometime after that the choice is made.

Not sure about what his response would be, but mine would be something on the order of why would you hang around people who not only choose something you find to be unnatural, but they must be stupid too.

It's way harder to be gay (or transgender) than it is to be straight. Especially if you're a guy, you have to wonder if each guy you come on to is going to kick the shit out of you because he's not gay after all. It's completely acceptable to share about your heterosexual relationship anywhere; show pictures, wear a ring, whatever. It's perfectly acceptable to flirt mildly with someone of the opposite gender -- if you're rebuffed, it's OK as long as it was mild.

I'm not gay, never have been. But I have a relative who's transgender, and no one decides all of a sudden, in high school no less. to go from being a successful boy to being a marginalized girl, because it's cool.

Wendy P.

Ah, now we are stupid because we chose to be friends. I guess when you don't understand something it's ok to attack someones intelligence. That's fine if that what you wish to do. I didn't know that I said this choice was made because it was "cool" or easy. Sometimes people don't know or understand the choices they make for themselves.
Believe me I tried.

Wendy P.

Ah, now we are stupid because we chose to be friends. I guess when you don't understand something it's ok to attack someones intelligence. That's fine if that what you wish to do. I didn't know that I said this choice was made because it was "cool" or easy. Sometimes people don't know or understand the choices they make for themselves.

No one was attacking your intelligence.

Wendy was saying (correct me if I am wrong) that your friends must be stupid to make such an insanely stupid decision like being gay when it is one of the most difficult things to live out in our society today. You are constantly persecuted and judged by small minded individuals who think you CHOSE to be persecuted for fun.

Its like making the decision to have tourettes.

Why would you do that? That would be fuckin dumb.

Now I do recall from the jobs thread that wendy is a rocket scientist, those cats are pretty smart.

If I made the statement that everyone is born hetero and then sometime after that the choice is made. Your response would be? I also expect to get blasted for even making that statement.

What is the reasoning behind your belief that everyone is born hetero and then some choose to be gay.

With all the stigma, loss of rights and entitlements, and never to again be with who they are actually attracted to (the opposite sex). Why in the world do you think anyone would choose that?

Then i do apologize if I misunderstood her statement. So you believe that everyone that doesn't see the issue the way you do is small minded and that they go around persecuting others?? Just wondering.
Believe me I tried.

Then i do apologize if I misunderstood her statement. So you believe that everyone that doesn't see the issue the way you do is small minded and that they go around persecuting others?? Just wondering.

I think you do.

I don't know everyone.

You can not articulate a point beyond its how you were raised and so its what you believe.

Plenty of people were raised to believe the world was flat.

Even after Columbus and friends reported thats not really the way the world works.

I bet they had an equally hard time articulating why they still believed that was valid.

Running around yelling "this is what daddy said is right" doesn't hold much water when you step back and look at history.

Plenty of daddies said it was ok to own slaves
Plenty of daddies said it was ok to beat women and children
Plenty of daddies said it was ok to beatup/kill gay people

Daddy doesn't always know best.

ETA: Your persecution is not direct I would wager, you don't go around beating up gay people. But you would support restricting their ability to gain recognition under the law for no reason other than you don't like it. That is indirectly persecuting them IMO.

What is the reasoning behind your belief that everyone is born hetero and then some choose to be gay.

With all the stigma, loss of rights and entitlements, and never to again be with who they are actually attracted to (the opposite sex). Why in the world do you think anyone would choose that?

I honestly don't know why the choice is made or when the choice is made. But, I did explain where my beliefs on this subject comes from.
Believe me I tried.

I think you do.

I don't know everyone.

You can not articulate a point beyond its how you were raised and so its what you believe.

Plenty of people were raised to believe the world was flat.

Even after Columbus and friends reported thats not really the way the world works.

I bet they had an equally hard time articulating why they still believed that was valid.

Running around yelling "this is what daddy said is right" doesn't hold much water when you step back and look at history.

Plenty of daddies said it was ok to own slaves
Plenty of daddies said it was ok to beat women and children
Plenty of daddies said it was ok to beatup/kill gay people

Daddy doesn't always know best.

I know I explained further then how I was raised. No, I don't think that people that don't see an issue the way I do are small minded nor do I think they go around persecuting others.
I also didn't make the statement that "this is what daddy said so this is right"
Also, long before Columbus and friends people knew the world wasn't flat.
Believe me I tried.

Ok...add "and the bible" to all my statements with daddies in there.

Plenty of daddies and the bible said it was ok to own slaves
Plenty of daddies and the bible said it was ok to beat women and children
Plenty of daddies and the bible said it was ok to beatup/kill gay people

Daddy and the bible doesn't always know best.

--------

You don't know when/how/why people chose to be gay. But you are quite certain they do chose it even after supposed conversations with gay friends who indicated they did not chose to be gay.

You don't have any reason that gay people should be denied the same benefits as everyone else.

You don't have any reason why you even hold the stance beyond the bible and your upbringing.

Where in the world is the open mindedness I am missing?

Ironically, I was watching UFC 158 last night. In the post fight press conference someone asked George St. Pierre how he felt about all the trash talk and attitude of his opponent leading up to and during the fight.

He replied (paraphrasing)

We all come from different upbringings. We all walk different roads. But to be in the UFC is one of the toughest things someone can accomplish, and it takes great sacrifice. So I respect every single fighter, because to me they have all sacrificed and worked very hard.

I found the quote,

"I always respect everybody who do this job, its a very tough sport that we are in. Its the UFC, they have the very best fighters in the world. And we all come from a different background, but to reach the point where we are in the UFC takes a lot of sacrifice.

We all come from a different road and I highly respect everybody who fight in the UFC because that means they made a lot of sacrifice to be there and they work very hard"

Simple, and perfectly said. GSP is a class act in my book and I would wager he doesn't support passing anti-gay legislation (though hes not american)

What I took away from it was, we are all different, and people won't always fit our cookie cutter. But they have walked a long hard road in life just like everyone else.

So stop hating on them, embrace them as brothers and sisters of your race.

I honestly don't know why the choice is made or when the choice is made. But, I did explain where my beliefs on this subject comes from.

So you're sure it's a choice even though you can't fathom why anyone would make that choice. You can't even put that together yet you are ready to amend the constitution to deny them the same rights that you enjoy?

If you say it's based on your faith fine but we don't generally modify the constitution based on one's chosen religious beliefs. Something about that first amendment thing.

If you say it's how you were raised and what you've seen, heard and read please be able to back up your belief/theory a little (a lot actually) better than you have before we go amending the constitution.

Agreeing to disagree on things is fine but when you want to force your views on others by changing laws and the constitution that is a much bigger thing.

Oh and welcome to the speakers corner, I don't spend much time here but isn't it fun;)

Ironically, I was watching UFC 158 last night. In the post fight press conference someone asked George St. Pierre how he felt about all the trash talk and attitude of his opponent leading up to and during the fight.

He replied (paraphrasing)

We all come from different upbringings. We all walk different roads. But to be in the UFC is one of the toughest things someone can accomplish, and it takes great sacrifice. So I respect every single fighter, because to me they have all sacrificed and worked very hard.

I found the quote,

"I always respect everybody who do this job, its a very tough sport that we are in. Its the UFC, they have the very best fighters in the world. And we all come from a different background, but to reach the point where we are in the UFC takes a lot of sacrifice.

We all come from a different road and I highly respect everybody who fight in the UFC because that means they made a lot of sacrifice to be there and they work very hard"

Simple, and perfectly said. GSP is a class act in my book and I would wager he doesn't support passing anti-gay legislation (though hes not american)

What I took away from it was, we are all different, and people won't always fit our cookie cutter. But they have walked a long hard road in life just like everyone else.

So stop hating on them, embrace them as brothers and sisters of your race.

Woah, where did I say I hated them? Yes each person has walked a long road in life with hardships and struggles. I am in no way saying that anyone hasn't. What is a hardship or a struggle for me wouldn't be a hardship or struggle for someone else and vice versa.
Believe me I tried.

Ok...add "and the bible" to all my statements with daddies in there.

Plenty of daddies and the bible said it was ok to own slaves
Plenty of daddies and the bible said it was ok to beat women and children
Plenty of daddies and the bible said it was ok to beatup/kill gay people

Daddy and the bible doesn't always know best.

--------

You don't know when/how/why people chose to be gay. But you are quite certain they do chose it even after supposed conversations with gay friends who indicated they did not chose to be gay.

You don't have any reason that gay people should be denied the same benefits as everyone else.

You don't have any reason why you even hold the stance beyond the bible and your upbringing.

Where in the world is the open mindedness I am missing?

May I ask where you came to your beliefs? I think we all do it the same way. If we have a faith we take from there, we take from our own upbringing, we take from what we have read, heard and learned/taught, we also take form experiences and then wecome up with what each of us believes. Am I saying that we take everything from each of these category's? No hopefully we don't, I know I don't. Being open minded does not mean that you need to see things my way nor I see things your way. It's being able to listen to someone's opinion (respectfully) and then accepting that they have that opinion even if we don't agree. I'm not trying to convince you I'm right and your wrong. With my friends once we had that discussion and understood what each others views were, we didn't feel the need to go back and try and beat each other over the head with our own views, we also decided that our friendship was worth more to us then what we didn't agree on.
Believe me I tried.

So you're sure it's a choice even though you can't fathom why anyone would make that choice. You can't even put that together yet you are ready to amend the constitution to deny them the same rights that you enjoy?

If you say it's based on your faith fine but we don't generally modify the constitution based on one's chosen religious beliefs. Something about that first amendment thing.

If you say it's how you were raised and what you've seen, heard and read please be able to back up your belief/theory a little (a lot actually) better than you have before we go amending the constitution.

Agreeing to disagree on things is fine but when you want to force your views on others by changing laws and the constitution that is a much bigger thing.

Oh and welcome to the speakers corner, I don't spend much time here but isn't it fun;)
That's why in theory I would support it. If it came up for a vote and after reading through it and seeking advice from others more knowledgable and either doing some research or looking at research done by others i then came to the conclusion that it was something I could support then yes I would vote for it, if not then no I wouldn't. Do I think the government could ever come up with something that simple no i don't.
Believe me I tried.

Woah, where did I say I hated them? Yes each person has walked a long road in life with hardships and struggles. I am in no way saying that anyone hasn't. What is a hardship or a struggle for me wouldn't be a hardship or struggle for someone else and vice versa.

"Hating on them"

not "Hating them"

Your reading comprehension could use a little polishing.

"Hating on them" as in advocating passing amendments to the constitution that would make them less equal than everyone else simply because you disagree with them.

Use in a sentence:

Bignugget was hating on women when he advocated passing an amendment removing their right to own property and vote after a discussion with Promise5.

...So to repeat, when did you choose to be hetero?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, you aren't getting "blasted." If any of my responses come across that way, it is unintentional and I apologize. This is actually a pretty civil discussion of the issue, compared to some of the crap that goes on in here.

For me, one of the fun things about these discussions (at least when they remain above the "Pee Wee Herman" level :P) is that if I make a statement about my position on an issue, I can expect to be challenged about it. Why I believe it and what do I have to back it up. "Because I was raised that way" doesn't cut it. I haven't undergone any "earthshaking" changes of opinion, but I have taken a different view on a lot of issues.

But you dodged the question.

Since you seem to believe that everyone is born hetero and some choose to "go gay," when did you choose to stay hetero?

Would you even be able to choose to be gay?

And I agree with Wendy's question. Why in the world would anyone choose to become part of a minority that has been brutally persecuted throughout history. It'd be kinda like choosing to be an American Indian here in the US.

I recall the story of a teenage boy who was gay. Not by choice. He was raised in a very religious household and was brought up to believe that homosexuality was sinful and immoral. So he prayed to God to be hetero. Often enough that he wore divots in his bedroom floor. But God didn't change him. So, faced with the prospect of being gay for the rest of his life in a community that would not accept that, he committed suicide.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

We see this issue differently

Yep, evidently you think you know what's happening in their minds better than they do:D

Every irony meter in existence just exploded
Abraham Lincoln