BillyVance

New Pope has been chosen

At least Baptists have a sense of humor:P:P:P

Some of them, anyway. :P

Yeah, lots of different kinds of Baptists out there. Don't ever joke with a Southern Baptist or a Primitive Baptist. They'll tell you you're going to hell. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Habent Papem, Francis I.

Why do cardinals always adopt an alias when they become pope?
Is it because they are afraid someone from the past will recognize them?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Don't ever joke with a Southern Baptist or a Primitive Baptist. They'll tell you you're going to hell. :P

You just identified my parents.
They never missed an opportunity to tell me I was going to hell.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Habent Papem, Francis I.

Why do cardinals always adopt an alias when they become pope?
Is it because they are afraid someone from the past will recognize them?

The way I understood it as explained to me, when he's voted Pope, he becomes a new person leaving everything he previously was behind. Much like transubstantiation, I'm sure this is more symbolic than factual.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Primitive Baptist?? hhhmm never heard of them.
I'm just a Baptist, not God, can't tell who's going to hell and who's not. :)But, everyone knows that Catholics make the best Baptists:P

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

I passed lots of Primitive churches in Tennessee. Just depends on the particular version of Baptist. I've even had margaritas with a Latter Day Saint -- she said that there are different versions of them, as well.

The American (northern) Baptists are very, very, different from the others.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Don't ever joke with a Southern Baptist or a Primitive Baptist. They'll tell you you're going to hell. :P

Did you ever work up the nerve to reply "yeah, so?!?" :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

They elected an old, white guy. What are the odds???

What were the odds he'd come from outside of Europe? :o:P

Huge: 40 percent of all Catholics are in Latin America and I gather they decided it was best to have a Latin as Pope in the event many Latins wane from Catholic over to Protestant, which has been happening especially with Latins living in the US. Besides, even though he's from Argentina he's from Italian decent. Also, Latins are having more kids than Europeans so choosing Latin for Pope was wise choice.

It is a bit ironic that Jorge was the runner up at the last Pope contest. If they would have just picked him in the first place he would still be the Pope.

I think they all got together and said " Who was second place last time? Jorge? OK, Jorge is still kicking, let him do it"

B|

Onward and Upward!

and here I just assumed you were mennonite
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I passed lots of Primitive churches in Tennessee. Just depends on the particular version of Baptist. I've even had margaritas with a Latter Day Saint -- she said that there are different versions of them, as well.

The American (northern) Baptists are very, very, different from the others.

Wendy P.

This explains the Baptist variations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2y_kI_-x1Q

40 percent of all Catholics are in Latin America and I gather they decided it was best to have a Latin as Pope in the event many Latins wane from Catholic over to Protestant, which has been happening especially with Latins living in the US. Besides, even though he's from Argentina he's from Italian decent. Also, Latins are having more kids than Europeans so choosing Latin for Pope was wise choice

Kinda like how these guys decide....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlQCW02Tbxc
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

They elected an old, white guy. What are the odds???

I don't think there was much hope for one who might liberalize social issues. What they needed - what I think Benedict was trying to signal with his resignation - was someone who (a) would be seen by the laity as not within even X degrees of separation of corruption or scandal, and (b) someone with the willingness, ability and energy to confront and cleanse the corruption - which Benedict clearly felt had overwhelmed him.

In Francis, with his background and personality (and being a Jesuit), they may have gotten the former. But I worry that at age 76 he'll be too elderly to have the strength, and the time, to do the latter. I'm disappointed in the possibility of stagnation and inertia signaled by his age - I wish he was at least 10 years younger.

Several years ago, I upset a lady I worked with who is very much Baptist. I said that at the recent Baptist conference, they decided that Baptists would be allowed to recognise each other at the lliquor store. :D
That was back before 'PC'. Chuck

Yep, ethnic jokes are funny to everyone, unless it's about them. Then it's in bad taste.

That's true! I recall a time, way back in my youth, when ethnic jokes were quite common. We told them to those of various ethnicities and religous background... no big deal. We threw verbal jabs at one another knowing there was nothing behind them more than a big outburst of laughter. Even from who the joke was pointed at. Just try that today and you'll get your ass kicked!

Chuck

That's true! I recall a time, way back in my youth, when ethnic jokes were quite common. We told them to those of various ethnicities and religous background... no big deal. We threw verbal jabs at one another knowing there was nothing behind them more than a big outburst of laughter. Even from who the joke was pointed at. Just try that today and you'll get your ass kicked!

Chuck

As long as you do it with friends and they know you're just having light-hearted fun with them and expect the same from them, it's all good. ;)