The_Don

Ambassador Rodman.

Just because some idiot b-ball player decides to visit some idiot dictator's idiot son, doesn't exactly make it a diplomatic mission.

He did it for the money.

The state department wants nothing to do with it.

If Kim Jong Jr. wants a phone call, he probably ought to pick up the phone and make it himself.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm worried NK might consider letting Rodman visit them to be an act of war.[:/]
But as long as we've started it, let's go all in:
Send them Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan.:ph34r:

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm worried NK might consider letting Rodman visit them to be an act of war.[:/]

For what its worth. Send Jane Fonda to live there permanently. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, both of them (Rodman and KJU) are attention whores.

Rodman gets attention by doing stupid and outrageous stuff. KJU gets it for the DPRK by detonating nukes and launching rockets.

Rodman is just doing this for attention. And he got a lot of it.
His comments about KJU make it pretty clear that he either doesn't have a clue, or is saying nice things because he wants to go back someday.
The NKs really love basketball, especially the NBA. Michael Jordan is considered just short of a god there (and not by much). Even Rodman is very highly thought of there. Says just a little bit about the NK thought process, doesn't it?
He also doesn't seem to know that there are 2 different Koreas, because he seemed to think he was going to meet Psy on this trip. :S

And the US State Department pretty much said all the right things.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

For what its worth. Send Jane Fonda to live there permanently. :|

Hey! Some of us still fondly remember "Barbarella", (and the resulting Carpal tunnel syndrome).:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

History teaches that sometimes the oddest things can break the thickest diplomatic ice. I remember back in the early 70s when exchanges of table tennis teams (aka "ping pong diplomacy") ultimately led to normalized relations between the US & China, up until then bitter enemies.

So as bizarre as all this is, if it sets the military conflict clock back even a couple of minutes, it's a net positive. This is far more similar to p.p. diplomacy than it is to"Hanoi Jane".

I'll buy that.

Personally, I just found it mildly amusing.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I won't.

I find it interesting that we find it OK for the gooberment to ignore human rights injustice so long as it's good for trade.

There's not much difference in politics between the two countries yet we gladly do business with one.

History teaches that sometimes the oddest things can break the thickest diplomatic ice. I remember back in the early 70s when exchanges of table tennis teams (aka "ping pong diplomacy") ultimately led to normalized relations between the US & China, up until then bitter enemies.

So as bizarre as all this is, if it sets the military conflict clock back even a couple of minutes, it's a net positive. This is far more similar to p.p. diplomacy than it is to"Hanoi Jane".

The "Ping Pong Diplomacy" was intended to open the door just a little bit. It was a cultural exchange, organized and sanctioned by both countries. It was supposed to be the first "baby steps" toward normalizng relations between us and China.

Rodman went to the DPRK to film a movie for HBO. And said some very complimentary things about one of the most repressive leaders in the world.

And KJU saying (in effect) "Hey Dennis, tell Obama I think he's cute and that he should ask me to the Spring Dance" is far more Junior High School relations than international diplomacy.

But it's typical of the NKs, and I agree that if it can satisfy KJU's need for attention without detonating a nuke, launching a missile or sinking a ROK naval vessel, then it's fundamentally a good thing.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I find it interesting that we find it OK for the gooberment to ignore human rights injustice so long as it's good for trade.

There's not much difference in politics between the two countries yet we gladly do business with one.

Are you really saying that North and South Korea are politically similar, or am I misunderstanding you?

- Dan G

Love him or hate him, he is one hell of a self-promoter.

Is he still married to himself?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Dang. Here I was assuming that Rodman is a donor and bundler who contributed to the last Presidential campaign and is being appointed as ambassador to NoKo.

At least Rodman can say he's been there. [Url]http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/02/07/nominee_for_ambassador_to_argentina_hasn_t_been_there_but_has_raised_lots.html[/url]

My wife is hotter than your wife.