skypuppy

gun culture documentary

Rob, here are two real-world examples of how we approach things out my way. (BTW, I live in a burg that would be considered a city by many standards)

A community in the (BC) Kootenays' has been plagued by an influx of deer. They've become very aggressive, physically challenging pedestrians and pets. After some debate, the city council authorized the culling of the pests. In consultation with BC Fish & Wildlife, they contracted a couple of local guys to shoot the wooly buggers in town. This town is quite an artists enclave attracting city-folks from Vancouver, Calgary, and even Toronto. There was some brief opposition to the plan. But nobody expressed any concern about errant bullets wounding innocent children or pets. They just didn't want Bambi to get killed. Once they came to terms that there were in fact just too many damned Bambi's, the cull got underway with zero media attention. Why? Because nobody cared.

In my town, last autumn City Council passed a bylaw outlawing the possession of bear-spray and hunting bows inside the city limits. Apparently some of them thought bear-spray could be used offensively in a bank robbery, and arrows could be used to silently kill innocent pets. How did the residents of the city respond? We didn't. Everybody just ignores the really stupid bylaw, including the RCMP.

I guess what I'm saying is... we (at least those of us out this way) tend to not get too worked up over silly shit.

But if you're a freakin' Leaf's fan... all bets are OFF! ;)

John

Rob, here are two real-world examples of how we approach things out my way. (BTW, I live in a burg that would be considered a city by many standards)

A community in the (BC) Kootenays' has been plagued by an influx of deer. They've become very aggressive, physically challenging pedestrians and pets. After some debate, the city council authorized the culling of the pests. In consultation with BC Fish & Wildlife, they contracted a couple of local guys to shoot the wooly buggers in town. This town is quite an artists enclave attracting city-folks from Vancouver, Calgary, and even Toronto. There was some brief opposition to the plan. But nobody expressed any concern about errant bullets wounding innocent children or pets. They just didn't want Bambi to get killed. Once they came to terms that there were in fact just too many damned Bambi's, the cull got underway with zero media attention. Why? Because nobody cared.

In my town, last autumn City Council passed a bylaw outlawing the possession of bear-spray and hunting bows inside the city limits. Apparently some of them thought bear-spray could be used offensively in a bank robbery, and arrows could be used to silently kill innocent pets. How did the residents of the city respond? We didn't. Everybody just ignores the really stupid bylaw, including the RCMP.

I guess what I'm saying is... we (at least those of us out this way) tend to not get too worked up over silly shit.

But if you're a freakin' Leaf's fan... all bets are OFF! ;)

John

my wife made the mistake of telling some people at work last year that we'd cut down 10 or 12 trees around the house. You wouldn't believe the moaning and groaning! How could you do that, don't you need a permit, are you gonna plant some more trees to make up for what you cut?>

Sheesh. They don't seem to realize we live in the middle of a frigging forest - and that's just our 28 acres. For crying out loud I;d have to go a mile away to find a spot open enuf to land a parachute here, even around the house. But that's not good enuf for the greenies here (unless you maybe wanted to build a windmill).

As for the deer, I should probably be shooting them too after what they did to my garden last year. B|

At least the bears haven't been around again since they killed my cat year before last. Around the house, anyways, they're still in the area.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

... again ... why?

Self defense.

Why? The odds of me coming across a polar or grizzly bear are pretty slim.

Since the odds of a malfunction of your main are very slim, you need not have a reserve on then

Hell, why carry that weight?

You most likely do not have a fire extinguisher in your house either

Did you get rid of that spare tire? Why waste the space?

Surely you don’t lock the doors to your home now either. Because the changes of someone coming in is very small

Leave your keys in your car when you are at work of the DZ? Just sayin

Since you are so prepared, you obviously wear a crash helmet while walking down the street?
I know thats a ridiculous comparison, but they seem to be all the rage round here.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

... again ... why?

Self defense.

So that's a good thing for Americans. We can invade Canada any time we want and pillage their vast resources of moose.

I think the last time you guys tried that we pushed you back and burned down the white house :P

Myself I am neither for or against, but one thing that stood out to me in that story was the girl saying that she lost friends over her guns or that people didn't want to be her friend in the first place because of guns. We as Canadians are pretty easy to get along with and I have never meet anyone who has lost friend's or failed to make friends because they own guns or shoot. I think that girl has other issues as to why she is not making friends, and I doubt it is because she owns or shoots guns. :S

I would suggest that out west you may not have the fanatical anti-gunners we have here in quebec and ontario, so you don't notice it as much.

I don't think I have ever heard of any anti-gun rallies, meetings, fanatical groups in Atlantic Canada either. Must just be an Ontario and Quebec thing I guess.

... again ... why?

Self defense.

So that's a good thing for Americans. We can invade Canada any time we want and pillage their vast resources of moose.

I think the last time you guys tried that we pushed you back and burned down the white house :P

Myself I am neither for or against, but one thing that stood out to me in that story was the girl saying that she lost friends over her guns or that people didn't want to be her friend in the first place because of guns. We as Canadians are pretty easy to get along with and I have never meet anyone who has lost friend's or failed to make friends because they own guns or shoot. I think that girl has other issues as to why she is not making friends, and I doubt it is because she owns or shoots guns. :S

Not surprisingly, I suppose, I disagree. It may very well be something that wouldn't come up if you make a point of not talking about guns at work, etc. But if you're really into it and do talk about it, for sure there are people like that.

I'm sure it could have something as well to do with being heavily involved in sports. Even skydivers when they get heavily involved in the sport often seem to have less and less non-jumping friends because of the time commitment and other things, but that doesn't mean there aren't people that won't be friends with someone who promotes a gun culture, just like there are people who won't be friends with a democrat or a republican...

Look at Toronto -- they felt so strongly about guns they wouldn't allow them to have anything to do with city buildings, a move that caused the Toronto Sportsman Show to have to relocate after 62 years. Closed down a gun range in Union Station that had been there for years and was a training range for many competitors. Why? There's no logical reason. It's emotion.

Guns do indeed seem to bring about a visceral reaction in many around urban southern ontario and toronto, and I'm told, in parts of quebec as well.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

... again ... why?

Self defense.

Not surprisingly, I suppose, I disagree. It may very well be something that wouldn't come up if you make a point of not talking about guns at work, etc. But if you're really into it and do talk about it, for sure there are people like that.

I'm sure it could have something as well to do with being heavily involved in sports. Even skydivers when they get heavily involved in the sport often seem to have less and less non-jumping friends because of the time commitment and other things, but that doesn't mean there aren't people that won't be friends with someone who promotes a gun culture, just like there are people who won't be friends with a democrat or a republican...

Look at Toronto -- they felt so strongly about guns they wouldn't allow them to have anything to do with city buildings, a move that caused the Toronto Sportsman Show to have to relocate after 62 years. Closed down a gun range in Union Station that had been there for years and was a training range for many competitors. Why? There's no logical reason. It's emotion.

Guns do indeed seem to bring about a visceral reaction in many around urban southern ontario and toronto, and I'm told, in parts of quebec as well.

Yeah I do see your points, especially on the sports side of things. I was on a junior national team and then a world cup team in two different sports growing up so I didn't have the normal childhood after school activities. I trained 25+ hours a week in addition to school but I didn't have issues making friends at school because of it.

We don't have the populations of Ontario or Quebec so maybe we just don't see that kind of thing here. We are known for our down home hospitality and sometimes that includes shooting off whatever gun you have in the front yard while having some moonshine. ;)

I would suggest that out west you may not have the fanatical anti-gunners we have here in quebec and ontario, so you don't notice it as much.

I don't think I have ever heard of any anti-gun rallies, meetings, fanatical groups in Atlantic Canada either. Must just be an Ontario... thing I guess.

Well, they are the centre of the known universe, doncha know? B|

Somehow I think that girl didn't have friends because she isn't that popular and has personality issues, I don't think its got bugger all to do with the fact that she shoots. Good to see that Canada has a good up and coming number of young shots and that the sport is growing.
The difference between that film and what I often see and hear in similar US films is that it was about the sport of shooting and not about self defence issues. That is a major cultural difference.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

... again ... why?

Self defense.

Since the odds of a malfunction of your main are very slim, you need not have a reserve on then

Surely you don’t lock the doors to your home now either. Because the changes of someone coming in is very small

So true. They are all the same. I remember reading about that 6 year old finding Daddy's reserve parachute and accidentally killing his sister with it.

That pretty weak

Even for you

It seems that just because you do not wish to be prepared, you dont want others to be either

Painfully selfish of you

Rushmc: I don't mean to offend you but fear seems to take a lot of place in your life.
My imaginary friend just called you Crazy ... What are you gonna do about it?

... again ... why?

Self defense.

So true. They are all the same. I remember reading about that 6 year old finding Daddy's reserve parachute and accidentally killing his sister with it.

That pretty weak

Even for you

It seems that just because you do not wish to be prepared, you dont want others to be either

Painfully selfish of you

Rushmc: I don't mean to offend you but fear seems to take a lot of place in your life.

No fear at all

This is a comment that has been used before

I think it is just the oposite

I think that the banners that dont like guns are the ones with irational fears
A gun is a tool
One can choose wether they have one or not (in my world)
Banners do not want anyone to have them or have them so severly restricted they are not usable

So no offense taken
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

No fear at all

A gun is a tool
Banners do not want anyone to have them or have them so severly restricted they are not usable

So no offense taken

I agree that banners use fear but you're the one who said we needed guns for self-defense.

The thing is: I'm not dumb and I wouldn't know where to get a handgun in Canada (agreed: I haven't looked very hard). Considering I don't know how to get one, I suppose my neighbors and even small time criminals and bums don't know either. So if someone knocks at my door in the middle of the night, I don't feel the need to have a gun to answer the door. No fear of guns, no need for guns.

My 2 cents.

No fear at all

A gun is a tool

So no offense taken

I agree that banners use fear but you're the one who said we needed guns for self-defense.

The thing is: I'm not dumb and I wouldn't know where to get a handgun in Canada (agreed: I haven't looked very hard). Considering I don't know how to get one, I suppose my neighbors and even small time criminals and bums don't know either. So if someone knocks at my door in the middle of the night, I don't feel the need to have a gun to answer the door. No fear of guns, no need for guns.

My 2 cents.

No, I am one who says I should have the choice

The banners do not want that

if you dont want one fine, I will not force you.

But these nuts dont want to have one
AND
They dont want anyone else to have one

I am 55 years old
I have never pulled a gun on anyone

I wish I had one once
and
I took one with me on my acrage once

Since that is all I have evere wanted one
do they need to be taken away?
Abraham Lincoln

A cop pulls over a car, walks up to the window and asks for driver’s license and registration. The driver informs the officer that he has a conceal carry permit, and has a 9mm in a shoulder holster, a derringer in ankle holster, a 45 in the glove compartment, a 12 gauge shotgun, in the back seat, and an AR15 in the trunk. The officer exclaims, "Good God son! What the hell are you afraid of?" The driver calmly responds, "Nothing sir, absolutely nothing.:)

rushmc: I'll respect you opinion but I'm still glad there are fewer guns in Canada.

I feel safer knowing that "I want one" is not a good enough reason to let someone have a handgun or an assault riffle.

brenthutch: :ph34r:

I'll respect you opinion but I'm still glad there are fewer guns in Canada.

I feel safer knowing that "I want one" is not a good enough reason to let someone have a handgun or an assault riffle.

That is fine and that is your right

But your rights end when you try and take mine away

And in this country I have that right

And people with opinons such as yours, are trying to take that right away, a piece at a time
Abraham Lincoln

And people with opinons such as yours, are trying to take that right away, a piece at a time

Nonono!!! I'm in Canada. My opinions don't change anything about YOUR laws. We were having a friendly exchange of opinions. The last comment is the only hostile comment in here. Keep your laws, I don't care.

But don't you dare tell us Canadians that we need guns for self-defense. That is YOUR opinion and it doesn't belong in MY country.

Nonono!!! I'm in Canada. My opinions don't change anything about YOUR laws. We were having a friendly exchange of opinions. The last comment is the only hostile comment in here. Keep your laws, I don't care.

But don't you dare tell us Canadians that we need guns for self-defense. That is YOUR opinion and it doesn't belong in MY country.

I know you are in Canada
That is why I worded my reply as I did

and the comment was not hostile, it is fact

And I dont care about your laws but, you were commenting to mine in this thread, correct?

I do watch your county however, I am glad they saw the falicsy that was the long gun registration and got rid of it

No hostility meant, and I tool thought the exchange was friendly

It is hard to keep context in places like this

If I did come across hostile, I am sorry
Abraham Lincoln

Ok ok ok .. Coffee helps a bit ... I read to fast and I felt attacked but this part:

"And people with opinons such as yours, are trying to take that right away, a piece at a time"

Got a bit more defensive than I should have. Sorry.

I'm not trying to take anything away, I'm merely trying to understand that love of guns that I don't share. How about we respectfully agree to disagree?

Ok ok ok .. Coffee helps a bit ... I read to fast and I felt attacked but this part:

"And people with opinons such as yours, are trying to take that right away, a piece at a time"

Got a bit more defensive than I should have. Sorry.

I'm not trying to take anything away, I'm merely trying to understand that love of guns that I don't share. How about we respectfully agree to disagree?

It isnt a love of guns. This is just a mantra used to demonize those who choose to keep and carry them

The 2nd Amemdment of the US Constitution puts in writing this fact

I do however, have a great respect for my rights (I would not call it love)

There is a reason that the founders of this country listed this right number 2

I used to think a lot like you
Then I took the time to educate myself by reading the Federalist Papers

Talk about an eye opener

I guess what I would say to you is, be careful of emotional talking points. You gave one using the word love when talking about the right

To me it is a matter of freedom
Letting someone else tell me what gun I can or can not have (or wether I can have one at all) takes one more bite out of my freedoms
In the end, that is the bottom line of what is happening here IMO
Abraham Lincoln

For the record, we can legally own many different hand-gun models and AR15-styled rifles in Canada.

There is enough misinformation abroad about our ice-bound nation without us Canadians making it worse.

John

For the record, we can legally own many different hand-gun models and AR15-styled rifles in Canada.

There is enough misinformation abroad about our ice-bound nation without us Canadians making it worse.

John

Yes but as far as I can tell it is much harder to get one here in Canada than it is in the US, we certainly can't legally buy a hand gun or AR-15 styled rifle at Walmart.

Yeah, I know they're available somewhere. Just much more difficult to acquire. Like I said, I wouldn't know where to go to buy one in my town of half-million population.

I'm sure I could find the one place that sells handguns in town. If there's one and if I looked for it. But then it prevents the "spur of the moment" possibility that an angry idiot gets one for the wrong reasons.

And I'm definitely not saying that all gun owners are angry idiots. ;) It's just the very few that bother me.

I know an angry idiot could even kill with a spoon .. but it takes a lot more work and humans are basically lazy ... :P

Please educate yourself on the actual firearms laws in Canada. You sound very uninformed. There are some aspects of our laws I think are perfectly reasonable, things like requiring mandatory training on how to safely handle the firearm as well as the need to pass the written and practical exams with a mark of 80% or better is perfectly acceptable. Even the idea of a mandatory criminal background check and a waiting period is acceptable. But there are other aspects of Bill C-68 that are extremely offensive and only if you know the actual laws will you begin to understand the problems law abiding firearms owners have them.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over