skypuppy

gun culture documentary

I thought this doc about the canadian gun culture was pretty well done. It saddened me a little that when I went to university near where this was shot we had a gun range right on campus, down in the bowels of one of the buildings, but it was closed some years ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Shows/The+National/ID/2338858905/
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

That was good. 8 million guns in Canada? Yeah, right. I hope it's a lot more than that.

Why? (Just curious)

Because I hope that the citizens of Canada are well armed.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

That was good. 8 million guns in Canada? Yeah, right. I hope it's a lot more than that.

Why? (Just curious)

Because I hope that the citizens of Canada are well armed.

Thank you for your concern for our national welfare. From my experience, I think the number estimated is likely accurate.

I thought the news feature was oddly skewed.

For the record, I don't own any guns. I have enjoyed shooting a few over the years. Even tried a bit of bird hunting. I came to the conclusion fairly quickly, while mostly enjoyable, it just didn't interest me enough to continue.

I have many friends who are active shooters, hunters, owners and buyers. I have an equal number of friends who have no interest in it.

I think I might be somewhat reflective of many Canadians. I think for most of us, we really don't care. We don't typically march about with signs decrying gun violence, and at the same time, there is no large gun-owners lobby. It's really not what we collectively do as Canadians.

Which kind of gets me to my opinion about the short featurette being skewed.

I thought the reporter made some not-so-subtle attempts to belittle the subject of gun ownership for pleasure. At the same time, I thought the subject gentleman exhibited an unsubstantiated degree of defensiveness towards a perceived negative public image of gun-owners in Canada. So I suppose, by being skewed from both perspectives, it turned out to be rather balanced.

I can only speak for myself and my experience. Having traveled this country and having many friends in almost every province, I truly have not encountered defensiveness by gun-owners, nor fear and loathing from non-owners.

I suppose if you want to gauge the real measure of how we look at things up here, perhaps compare the tone of the featurette in the very civil dialogue between the reporter and the gentleman, with the interaction between Michael Moore and Charlton Heston in Moore's documentary.

Perhaps that's the fundamental "culture" (they used that word a lot in the short report) we Canadian's actually share with each other. We do try to be civil, courteous and open-minded towards each other.

Although, history has established we can be tenacious sons-of-bitches when necessary if backed into a corner or defending an ally.

John

(Afterthought): If Canadians were as fascinated by guns, there would be a larger demand. And the firearms manufacturers would delight in such a market, especially with the value of our currency the last few years. But it just isn't the case. As I said, we really just don't care.

Just my opinion.

J

It is higher. There are millions of assets sitting dormant in the western prairie provinces that were never registered. And the funny thing with these millions of firearms the government does not know about, they don't go around killing anyone. They just sit there doing nothing, harming nobody. But if they are ever needed, there they are.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I can only speak for myself and my experience. Having traveled this country and having many friends in almost every province, I truly have not encountered defensiveness by gun-owners, nor fear and loathing from non-owners.

I suspect that this is the same in the US. It's my experience anyway (not counting discussion forums).

Our real problem is the nutbags on the extremes get a lot of press. AND, unfortunately they also get elected. Or at least the elected seem more interested in placating the nutbags instead of just laughing them off and sticking to the constitution and a policy of leave each other alone.

You hear about the impotent protesters wanting to 'just do something, anything' just to show some vague action. You hear about the survivalists threatening to shoot the impotent protesters.

But it's a pretty quiet news day if we ever hear about the two neighbors, one owns guns and the other doesn't, and they are both fine with that. Or at least both don't consider it their business what the other guy does.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

... again ... why?

Self defense.

Why? The odds of me coming across a polar or grizzly bear are pretty slim.

Since the odds of a malfunction of your main are very slim, you need not have a reserve on then

Hell, why carry that weight?

You most likely do not have a fire extinguisher in your house either

Did you get rid of that spare tire? Why waste the space?

Surely you don’t lock the doors to your home now either. Because the changes of someone coming in is very small

Leave your keys in your car when you are at work of the DZ? Just sayin
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

... again ... why?

Self defense.

Since the odds of a malfunction of your main are very slim, you need not have a reserve on then

Surely you don’t lock the doors to your home now either. Because the changes of someone coming in is very small

So true. They are all the same. I remember reading about that 6 year old finding Daddy's reserve parachute and accidentally killing his sister with it.

... again ... why?

Self defense.

So true. They are all the same. I remember reading about that 6 year old finding Daddy's reserve parachute and accidentally killing his sister with it.

That pretty weak

Even for you

It seems that just because you do not wish to be prepared, you dont want others to be either

Painfully selfish of you
Abraham Lincoln

While I can see where you're coming from, I have to disagree. I believe the 8 million figure is probably pretty low. I know one buddy who at one time had a collection of over 100 guns (pre-registration). I don't know if he has that many now, but I doubt he registered more than a couple, if any.

I also don't know that the 8 million includes guns on first nations properties or reserves -- I have an idea not many of them got registered either, and many may come over the border between new york, ontario and quebec without going through any customs agents.

As for being defensive, I mentioned the range I used to shoot at on the university campus ended up being closed down. It's no secret that david miller enacted legislation banning gun clubs or ranges in toronto, resulting in even the gun show having to relocate to a different site after 62 years, and which also closed a long time gun range in Union Station. Miller's ban was later overturned by ford's adminitstration.

I know of several hunters in and around this county assaulted and abused by police for having their guns available when anonymous and unsubstantiated complaints were called in, the father arrested last year when his kindergarten aged daughter drew a picture of a super-hero with an imaginary gun. The persistence of the firearms officers in attempting to continue to collect data despite the repeal of the lgr, and openly criticizing the feds for repealing it. Yes, definately there is a huge movement in canada to take away gun rights.

I would suggest that out west you may not have the fanatical anti-gunners we have here in quebec and ontario, so you don't notice it as much.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

... again ... why?

Self defense.

That pretty weak

Even for you

It seems that just because you do not wish to be prepared, you dont want others to be either

Painfully selfish of you

Exactly, just 10 minutes ago I told my staff member he was no longer allowed to hunt.

... again ... why?

Self defense.

what about a rabid fox or racoon?

... again ... why?

Self defense.

That pretty weak

Even for you

Painfully selfish of you

Exactly, just 10 minutes ago I told my staff member he was no longer allowed to hunt.

Now you are dodging

This is fun:)
Abraham Lincoln

... again ... why?

Self defense.

Hasn't happened yet, nor have I heard of any reports of there being any in my neighbourhood. Been a while since I have heard about a rabid fox or raccoon attack.

Maybe I should start preparing for that zombie attack too.

... again ... why?

Self defense.

Hasn't happened yet, nor have I heard of any reports of there being any in my neighbourhood. Been a while since I have heard about a rabid fox or raccoon attack.

Maybe I should start preparing for that zombie attack too.

well, had a rabid fox around here a couple of years ago. Went after a neighbor's pet and he shot it. It had been hanging around for a few days, I'd seen it acting strangely in the middle of the road one afternoon when I was on my way to work. Wouldn't have been a stretch to see it going after a child instead of a neighbors pet, and fortunate anyways that he was home and got it.

just because you don't live in a rural area doesn't mean others don't, and it's nice to have the ability to defend your livestock, crops, or household when you do.

I would suggest that out west you may not have the fanatical anti-gunners we have here in quebec and ontario, so you don't notice it as much.

That's entirely possible, Rob. I'll try to get out more. ;)

One thing I'd like to add to any conversation specifically north of the 49th relative to guns: we don't have a 2nd, we have the Charter of Rights. It doesn't enumerate any "rights" to my knowledge in terms of private firearm ownership. We are accorded a privilege to own weapons under the current law of the land. I think therefore it is important for any Canadian dialogue to avoid dilution by importing descriptions, phrases and debates couched in the culture of our southern neighbor.

John