OHCHUTE

Food Fraud

Years ago a guy told me they plugged holes in rays and sold the meat as scallops.
Now supposedly 80% of all fish labeling is bogus.

Who can you trust.

Check the top of you liter pop bottle. Look how the threads have slits. The cap allows the gas to escape and the soda goes flat in three days after it's opened. Why" Because Coke doesn't want you to keep Coke around for very long so they ensure it goes flat quick so you'll buy more. Total deceit.

I don't buy frozen shrimp in bags as its half ice.

Incredibly shrinking food. Before you know it Reeses Cup will offer a magnifying glass to see the candy.

McDonalds hamburger is nearly paper thin.

And the cost: 1 California Navel orange in Sams club today was $1.00

What your food fraud story?

>The cap allows the gas to escape and the soda goes flat in three days after it's opened.

Uh, no. It goes flat because once the pressure is released and you remove some the remaining gas diffuses into the headspace and out of the soda.

Do this experiment. Get two liters of Coke. Cool them both to the same temperature. Open them both, then fill one to the very top. Close them both.

Then go back a week later and see which is still carbonated.

The incredible shrinking 1# can of coffee.

It is now ~11 oz. They "pouf" it up and it takes up more space. Although, this is rather old news; I wonder how many of you are old enough to remember the "real" one pound can? :P

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18561_162-543240.html

eta: the can's not shrinking nearly as fast as the weight.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

It is now ~11 oz. They "pouf" it up and it takes up more space. Although, this is rather old news; I wonder how many of you are old enough to remember the "real" one pound can? :P

Grind beans - problem solved.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So dishonesty you don't care about is ok, but when it bothers you, a la explosive model rocket fuel, then it's a problem? Seems to be hypocritical, professor. (Especially when you seem ok with the boom fuel liars telling other lies, but let's not hijack)

My favorite food lies involve length of food and weight of prepared food. Anyone serving you a "footlong" is lying to you. Same with using frozen precooked weight for "quarter pounders". It's be one thing if the burger weighed 1/4 pound a room temperature, but like the frozen shrimp example above, it's a ton if ice weight.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

:o:o:o I'm being cheated on coffee???? Now that ticks me off!!!!!! The rest of it I can live with but when it comes to coffee now that is serious fraud!!!!!!!

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

That's nothing. I hope you don't think that the seafood you're eating is actually the name listed on the menu. Google it or check out yesterday's USA Today for a starting point. Tilapia is regularly passed off as red snapper. White tuna is often escolar, aka the ex-lax fish. Basically, if its expensive, odds are good that it's fake.

Even worse is anything claiming a point of origin or method of raising/development. By POI I mean "Alaskan wild caught salmon" that's actually Chilean farm raised garbage. With method I meant things like "organic", "free range", and so on. If we can't even get the right animal, does anyone think we're getting naturally raised healthy stock?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Years ago a guy told me they plugged holes in rays and sold the meat as scallops.

An episode of This American Life recently looked into the (unsubstantiated) possibility that deep fried calamari was somehow, somewhere, being replaced with...
...well, it wasn't calamari.:o
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

An episode of This American Life recently looked into the (unsubstantiated) possibility that deep fried calamari was somehow, somewhere, being replaced with...

Yeh but it was deep fried. Hell, it was cooked.

Yeh but it was deep fried. Hell, it was cooked.

True. The experimental batch they whipped up seemed to go over well. B|
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

>So dishonesty you don't care about is ok, but when it bothers you, a la explosive
>model rocket fuel, then it's a problem?

I suspect that's true of you as well. I expect that if someone told you that their 4-way team was the best on the DZ, when in fact another 4-way team had gotten a better score at Nationals, you'd probably think "huh, skydivers."

>My favorite food lies involve length of food and weight of prepared food. Anyone
>serving you a "footlong" is lying to you.

Literally true. A "footlong" at my local sub shop is actually about 12 3/4 inches. Of course you can always ask them to cut off the extra 3/4 inch.

Interestingly enough, my feet are not particularly close to a foot long :D
Not that I approve of food fraud -- I'll admit I look for those "wild-caught" labels etc. [:/]

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Interestingly enough, my feet are not particularly close to a foot long

In a shoe my feet are almost exactly a foot long; comes in very handy for estimating distances.

>Not that I approve of food fraud -- I'll admit I look for those "wild-caught" labels etc.

We avoid much of that by getting our produce from a local CSA; we know where it comes from. Actually sometimes we know too much about where it comes from. Some of the emails we get from them remind me of sports fans writing about their teams during spring training - "the broccoli is doing great but the radishes haven't gotten a good start yet; next year we might plant them by the low spot in the north field where it's always wet."

I do the farmer's market for a lot of veggies, and get fish off the boat sometimes (but local salmon isn't likely to be wild-caught sockeye :D). Unfortunately, our local farmer's market is on mid-Saturday mornings -- kind of bad when it's a pretty day out.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That's nothing. I hope you don't think that the seafood you're eating is actually the name listed on the menu. Google it or check out yesterday's USA Today for a starting point. Tilapia is regularly passed off as red snapper.

You're right. Tilapia instead of Snapper in a restaurant is much worse than the idea that pretty much everyone in Europe who buys processed meat has been eating ex-carthorses from dodgy Romanian abattoirs.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

My favorite food lies involve length of food and weight of prepared food. Anyone serving you a "footlong" is lying to you.

Interestingly enough, my feet are not particularly close to a foot long

In a shoe my feet are almost exactly a foot long; comes in very handy for estimating distances.

Size 11 Vans, as it turns out, are within a 1/16" of a foot. I agree it is very helpful for estimated measurements, especially when you need to call bullshit on a sandwich.

That's nothing. I hope you don't think that the seafood you're eating is actually the name listed on the menu. Google it or check out yesterday's USA Today for a starting point. Tilapia is regularly passed off as red snapper.

You're right. Tilapia instead of Snapper in a restaurant is much worse than the idea that pretty much everyone in Europe who buys processed meat has been eating ex-carthorses from dodgy Romanian abattoirs.

What makes subbing horse for cow so much worse than one fish for another? One herbivorous hoofed quadroped for another and all that. What, you don't think international seafood processing is as "dodgy" as red meat packing plants? Hell, for that matter even meat packing in the US and UK is a pretty "dodgy" enterprise. Or do you have a Mr. Ed complex?
witty subliminal message
1*

Prior to raising the price, companies alter the size or ingredients.

Cadbury eggs used to be jumbo egg sized.

:D. :D

They sucked us in and made us love the small ones that cost as much as the full sized version.
Good Catch! :ph34r:

It's not always a bad thing, don't feel near as guilty eating a whole box of Girl Scout cookies in one sitting now. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

So dishonesty you don't care about is ok, but when it bothers you, a la explosive model rocket fuel, then it's a problem?

1. Where did I write that it didn't bother me?

2. The APCP fuel has been deemed NON EXPLOSIVE by BATF once the judge in the lawsuit made them use their own definition. Perfectly legal to buy.:P:P:P:P

FACTS can be so inconvenient. You should check them from time to time before hitting "post".:P:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.