airdvr

Time to close the other Welfare program that is the USPS

Hi air,

Private industry could do so much better if they were allowed.

I have a UPS store less than 1/3 of the distance as is the US Post Ofc.

The UPS has higher rates, less 'be nice to Mr. Customer,' and almost always longer lines.

I do & will use the UPS store when I feel it benefits me; but having been using my US Post Ofc for so long because of their being nicer people, smaller lines and better rates.

YMMV,

JerryBaumchen

There's a UPS depot near me. Service there is just AWFUL. I only ever use them for large packages or if someone else sends me a prepaid label. And their delivery trucks are ugly!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The US Constitution is supposed to be a "living" document and updated to reflect the times in which we live

Are you drinking again? Justice Scalia commented in a speech in 2005, “The Constitution is not a living organism… it is a legal document.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

Google works really well for looking up factual information. Give it a go sometime.

Hint - you can copy/paste text into a search field

The quoted text comes from the the LA Times. There is plenty of info online as to the rescumlican's work towards fucking over the average citizen. You won't find the info in the corporate owned media outlets. Rolling Stone has Matt Taibbi and Tim Dickinson's contributions. There are lots of other sources of valid info that blow away the false info presented to the gullible morons.

Google works really well for looking up factual information. ....

If you are going to quote somebody or an article or such, it' incumbent on YOU to provide the source.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Shipping, we dealt with USPS, UPS, Fedex and DHL.

UPS and Fedex were about even for fewest problems. DHL the most.
UPS and Fedex provided free boxes, too.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You know I'm right. They bleed $25,000,000 per day. When was the last time you were actually in a post office? Workers moving like glaciers. Long lines. Private industry could do so much better if they were allowed. Now it's going to be no Saturday delivery. And stamps just went up to .46. Some put this dinosaur out of its misery please.

In the UK the post office was privatised (in that they now have shareholders) - service got worse, prices go up regularly.

The current cost of a first class letter up to 100g is 60 pence (approx 95c) and if you want a signature on delivery it jumps to £ 1.55 ($ 2.45).

Anything over 100g or larger than a certain size (approx C5 size) gets classified as a large letter and costs 95p ($1.42), signature on delivery £1.85 ($2.90).
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

Hey. That's a false accusation about my confusion of "avoir" with "au revoir." That was someone else and I quoted it.

I speak good French. Ask Remi

But you type questionable English. :D
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

what needs to happen it that it needs to be made profitable. Which means a letter should be closer to a dollar. Cut the freeloaders, like any business and have some business people run the place instead of politicians.

No one else can send a letter for a dollar, but they might - open it up to UPS and FEDEX if they want to compete (or not)

The infrastructure is already in place, it just needs to be priced right to make it work. Most shipping charges are passed onto the consumer in purchases anyway, it will allow them to compete for the market. Rural areas will still get their service through the post office because they have no choice. And a dollar for a letter that takes 3 days to cross the country is a pretty good deal.

More people will use electronic means like email instead of Christmas cards, their demand will drop, the business can scale back some and still be profitable.

I don't know if anyone else could try to compete. Assured delivery to every household is the problem. Sure, if people would all use centrally located PO Boxes, it would be great. But going door to door is expensive.

I agree on the price of a letter. I would easily pay a dollar per envelope and still consider it a good deal.

Like any government agency, it is terribly inefficient. Clean it up.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

what needs to happen it that it needs to be made profitable. Which means a letter should be closer to a dollar. Cut the freeloaders, like any business and have some business people run the place instead of politicians.

No one else can send a letter for a dollar, but they might - open it up to UPS and FEDEX if they want to compete (or not)

The infrastructure is already in place, it just needs to be priced right to make it work. Most shipping charges are passed onto the consumer in purchases anyway, it will allow them to compete for the market. Rural areas will still get their service through the post office because they have no choice. And a dollar for a letter that takes 3 days to cross the country is a pretty good deal.

More people will use electronic means like email instead of Christmas cards, their demand will drop, the business can scale back some and still be profitable.

Well, one of the big problems is that every time the people actually running the post office have ideas to help them be more efficient and profitable Congress steps in and prevents these steps. Closing rural post offices is a great way to save money but people complain to their congressperson, who then blocks it.

bah, I'm for privitization but there is a lot that could be done short of that to make USPS profitable.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I'm surprised John. This situation is very similar to the health insurance problem. We're paying 25 million per day to fund and inefficient and bloated system. Let me repeat that...25 MILLION PER DAY. Much the same as the hospitals picking up the tab for services that never get paid.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

what needs to happen it that it needs to be made profitable.

No. It doesn't.

It doesn't have to be profitable any more than the FAA, Department of Transportation or military "need" to be profitable. Again, it's basic infrastructure. It's nice if it can recoup some costs through user fees, but that doesn't mean it has to be a revenue generator any more than we "need" to make a profit off our Coast Guard.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

No. It doesn't.

It doesn't have to be profitable any more than the FAA, Department of Transportation or military "need" to be profitable. Again, it's basic infrastructure. It's nice if it can recoup some costs through user fees, but that doesn't mean it has to be a revenue generator any more than we "need" to make a profit off our Coast Guard.

The general public is not the direct consumer of the armed forces, or the transportation department. If that's your line of thought then I shouldn't be paying anything to mail a letter.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Hey. That's a false accusation about my confusion of "avoir" with "au revoir." That was someone else and I quoted it.

You reasserted it and incorporated it by reference.

As you are aware, there are times to just let let stuff slide.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The general public is not the direct consumer of the armed forces, or the transportation department.

They are direct beneficiaries. Every day. 24/7/356. And it's what you pay taxes for.

True, you can't call most citizens "consumers" of that service but it is a government service, just like the post office.

The "consumer" part of the postal service would be things like stamps, which only defray the total cost of services and helps cut down on abusive users. Imagine if the postal service were "free" to use like email. You'd probably want to complain about freeloaders and I think you'd be right to.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You reasserted it and incorporated it by reference.

As you are aware, there are times to just let let stuff slide.

:D:D Yes, sir, there are.

No. It doesn't.

If you're against profitable, how about self sustaining?

All of the above and more could become self sufficient and off the general budget.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.