billvon

NRA effect on elections

As I've mentioned before, the NRA's recent exploitation of mass murders to sell guns and push their agendas is going to backfire on them. The IL-2 race is one of the first electoral races where we've seen this effect.

I expect there's a lot of panicked conversation going on in political circles around now: "Quick - what do I have to do to get an F rating from the NRA? I need this SOON!"

=======================
Robin Kelly leads in the latest poll

Political News
February 6, 2013
John Presta

Robin Kelly, candidate for the seat vacated by Jesse Jackson Jr., is leading in the latest poll conducted by Gerstein Bocian Agne Strategies. With just three weeks before the special primary election for Congress in Illinois’ 2nd Congressional District, former state representative Robin Kelly has leapfrogged the competition and moved into first place.

Robin Kelly now leads the field with 26 percent of all likely voters, putting her in a strong position heading into the campaign’s final weeks. Former Congresswoman Debbie Halvorson has slipped into second place at 22 percent and state senator Toi Hutchinson is in third place with 20 percent. Alderman Anthony Beale (10 percent), former Congressman Mel Reynolds (5 percent) and health care executive Joyce Washington (2 percent) also register support.

Robin Kelly’s momentum is a direct result of voters’ increasing attention to the race and Kelly’s leadership in taking on the National Rifle Association, a poisonous organization in this electorate. While the debate in this campaign is clearly defined around the issue of gun violence prevention, many still remain unaware of the real differences between Kelly and her opponents.

Hutchinson, in particular, is currently benefiting from relatively low awareness of her A-rating from the NRA and her efforts to keep her questionnaire responses from the public. However, Hutchinson’s support declines precipitously once voters hear more about her NRA A-rating.
=========================
Kelly Slams Hutchinson for ‘A’ Ratings by NRA: 2nd District Race

Candidate Robin Kelly says Sen. Toi Hutchinson is only in favor of a gun ban now because it’s politically convenient.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
February 5, 2013

Second District congressional candidate Toi Hutchinson currently supports Obama’s gun ban, but she didn’t always feel that way, according to a Chicago Tribune report.

The Trib recently pulled an NRA questionnaire revealing multiple "A" ratings for Hutchinson, who opposed a gun ban in her 2010 election.

Hutchinson says the Sandy Hook shooting is what made her change her position on banning weapons, but candidate Robin Kelly isn’t buying it. Unlike Hutchinson, Kelly received an “F” rating by the NRA, an achievement she’s very proud of.

“The only thing that ‘changed’ for Toi Hutchinson is that she entered a race for Congress where her past support of the NRA’s agenda was no longer politically convenient,” Kelly said in a press release. “It’s clear now that we can’t trust Toi Hutchinson or Debbie Halvorson to protect our communities against gun violence because both were willing to stand with the NRA when we needed them most.”
==========================

As I've mentioned before, the NRA's recent exploitation of mass murders to sell guns and push their agendas is going to backfire on them. The IL-2 race is one of the first electoral races where we've seen this effect.

I expect there's a lot of panicked conversation going on in political circles around now: "Quick - what do I have to do to get an F rating from the NRA? I need this SOON!"

=======================
Robin Kelly leads in the latest poll

Political News
February 6, 2013
John Presta

Robin Kelly, candidate for the seat vacated by Jesse Jackson Jr., is leading in the latest poll conducted by Gerstein Bocian Agne Strategies. With just three weeks before the special primary election for Congress in Illinois’ 2nd Congressional District, former state representative Robin Kelly has leapfrogged the competition and moved into first place.

Robin Kelly now leads the field with 26 percent of all likely voters, putting her in a strong position heading into the campaign’s final weeks. Former Congresswoman Debbie Halvorson has slipped into second place at 22 percent and state senator Toi Hutchinson is in third place with 20 percent. Alderman Anthony Beale (10 percent), former Congressman Mel Reynolds (5 percent) and health care executive Joyce Washington (2 percent) also register support.

Robin Kelly’s momentum is a direct result of voters’ increasing attention to the race and Kelly’s leadership in taking on the National Rifle Association, a poisonous organization in this electorate. While the debate in this campaign is clearly defined around the issue of gun violence prevention, many still remain unaware of the real differences between Kelly and her opponents.

Hutchinson, in particular, is currently benefiting from relatively low awareness of her A-rating from the NRA and her efforts to keep her questionnaire responses from the public. However, Hutchinson’s support declines precipitously once voters hear more about her NRA A-rating.
=========================
Kelly Slams Hutchinson for ‘A’ Ratings by NRA: 2nd District Race

Candidate Robin Kelly says Sen. Toi Hutchinson is only in favor of a gun ban now because it’s politically convenient.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
February 5, 2013

Second District congressional candidate Toi Hutchinson currently supports Obama’s gun ban, but she didn’t always feel that way, according to a Chicago Tribune report.

The Trib recently pulled an NRA questionnaire revealing multiple "A" ratings for Hutchinson, who opposed a gun ban in her 2010 election.

Hutchinson says the Sandy Hook shooting is what made her change her position on banning weapons, but candidate Robin Kelly isn’t buying it. Unlike Hutchinson, Kelly received an “F” rating by the NRA, an achievement she’s very proud of.

“The only thing that ‘changed’ for Toi Hutchinson is that she entered a race for Congress where her past support of the NRA’s agenda was no longer politically convenient,” Kelly said in a press release. “It’s clear now that we can’t trust Toi Hutchinson or Debbie Halvorson to protect our communities against gun violence because both were willing to stand with the NRA when we needed them most.”
==========================

The NRA stayed silent while those who really exploited the mass murders when crazy (during the first week)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

=====================
Public Policy Polling
February 5, 2013

Americans consider NRA endorsement to be a negative
Raleigh, N.C. – Much has been made in recent weeks about the NRA's political strength,
but PPP's newest national poll finds more voters consider their endorsement to be a
negative than a positive. 39% say they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who
had the NRA's support to just 26% who say they'd be more likely to, with 32% saying it
wouldn't influence them one way or the other. Among independents 41% consider an
NRA endorsement to be a turn off to 27% who say it's a plus.

======================

=====================
Public Policy Polling
February 5, 2013

Raleigh, N.C. – Much has been made in recent weeks about the NRA's political strength,
but PPP's newest national poll finds more voters consider their endorsement to be a
negative than a positive. 39% say they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who
had the NRA's support to just 26% who say they'd be more likely to, with 32% saying it
wouldn't influence them one way or the other. Among independents 41% consider an

======================

Actually I am enjoying your posts here

Lots to read around your topics

Keep em coming
Abraham Lincoln

Just some more info regarding the canidates

http://www.suntimes.com/news/18036762-418/few-candidates-for-2nd-distict-seat-have-filed-financial-disclosure.html

And this

Markos Moulitsas of the Daily Kos endorsed Robin Kelly for Congress, a move that solidifies her standing as the "true" progressive in the race for the Illinois 2nd Congressional district. Markos Moulitsas is "the leading" progressive voice in America and the Daily Kos is "the leading" progressive platform in America.

Abraham Lincoln

With enough money to demonize the left can do wonders

even if it is a lie

We need to tear the NRA out of Congress, not strengthen its influence. Bloomberg's anti-gun Super PAC is already softening up the frontrunner, former Rep. Debbie Halvorson. We can and should do our part to join the effort.

Abraham Lincoln

Bill,

Ive got alot of respect for you but this statement is asinine.

As I've mentioned before, the NRA's recent exploitation of mass murders to sell guns and push their agendas is going to backfire on them.

That is completely rediculous.

How about feinstein proposing a bill that would essentially end the 2nd amendment. Perhaps THATS why so many firearms have been purchased recently. To say it was solely on the NRA specically knocks your credability down several pegs. Stop hanging out with kallend. I expected much better from you.

>That is completely rediculous.

Well, except that it IS backfiring. Support for the NRA is way down, and being anti-NRA is now seen as a political advantage.

Want to reverse that? Have the NRA propose real changes to gun laws that work, rather than "the solution to gun violence is more guns."

Well, except that it IS backfiring. Support for the NRA is way down, and being anti-NRA is now seen as a political advantage.

Want to reverse that? Have the NRA propose real changes to gun laws that work, rather than "the solution to gun violence is more guns."

There is no evidence to support your claims. The NRA isn't out selling guns. They aren't exploiting mass murders like you claim.

People are buying guns because of politicians wanting to ban them.

There is no evidence that any of these new gun laws will decrease murders or crime at all.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

Ooh! I know:

"The solution to gun violence is more violence."

I should be an ad man.

The NRA stayed silent hunkered down in their bunker like little girls ... during the first week

Fixie.

Nah
You manipulated

but, that is what lawyers do
Abraham Lincoln

I for one would vote for a candidate who was endorsed by the NRA.
I do not care how you try to inject some crap poll stats from Raleigh,NC to try and make it sound like the NRA has lost all it's support from the majority of US citizens.
Almost every person I have talked to in washington and oregon has not only stated their support for the NRA but many have given donations in excess of their yearly dues in support of the NRA.
Then there are states like Texas,Montana,Arizona,Oklahoma,Wyoming,Alaska,just to name a few.
Texas is a huge state with a very large population in itself.

You lack the humor gene, don't you?

I have a good sense of humor

Some things just are not funny
Abraham Lincoln

Yes Bill your statement is rediculous.

NRA is not out using tragedy to sell guns. In fact, they've never ever tried to sell me and I'm progun. They sell training, safety and they lobby for rights and they want membership fees. Support for them is up with 500,000 new members. Don't know where in the hell you come with this idea NRA is a gun marketeer. Do we need more cops with guns doing community policing-- YES WE NEED MORE LEO's walking the streets carrying guns. Community policing was something the states did away with. They used community policing in NYC and it work. So MORE LEO's with GUNS is a good idea. Problem is: states are broke, can't hire cops and want to tax gun owners. It's about money.

Jury is out on your idea about whether or not NRA support one way or the other will have an effect in any election. Once the public realizes what is happening with their rights there will be plenty of push back.

This is wishful thinking on your part, or mere pot stirring, Bill.

Oh my fucking god, NRA affiliation isn't seen as a positive in a ILLINOIS district (adjacent to Chicago) formerly held by a Jesse Jackson! Think of the national implications of this!!!!

Gun rights won't be a winning platform issue there, nor would it be in San Francisco. That was true last November just as it is now.

If the Democrats actually had that level of new support as you suggest, and the NRA lost the level it has enjoyed for decades, then you'd have seen a Patriot Act of gun rights (losses) already. And you could see that in their rush to push legislation in the first 30 days as it that would erase the past, but openly admitting that they're doing it while people are still emotional about the matter.

Meanwhile, how many members did the NRA add? The DNC hasn't forgotten what happened the last time they lost any sense of the Constitution (Nov 2000). And worse, they now have Heller to deal with...can no longer miscite the meaning of the Miller 1939 decision.

As I've mentioned before, the NRA's recent exploitation of mass murders to sell guns and push their agendas is going to backfire on them.

I must respectfully but emphatically disagree with you on this. In the past several months...in fact, in all of my decade of membership in the NRA...they have never once tried to sell me a gun, or encouraged me to go out and buy a gun.

They have never once stood up and said 'The government's going to take your guns! Better get 'em while you can!'

In my experience, the three top things the NRA does are:

1) Keep reminding me to reup my membership.
2) Encourage me to write my local and federal officals about gun issues and participate in rallies.
3) Encourage safe and responsible enjoyment of hunting and the shooting sports.

Now, while I am a member, I don't agree with everything the NRA says or does...but I certainly can't see how they've done anything but exercise their 1st ammendment rights in defense of the second. Using mass-murders to sell guns? Sorry...I haven't seen the NRA or any gun manufacturer do anything like that.

Personally, it seems clear to me that those who are pushing the bans are causing the upsurge in sales.

As for whether or not NRA allegiance will be a plus or a minus in future elections...undoubtedly in some areas (say, for instance, Illinois) it may be a minus, while in others, it will be a plus. The overall effect is still to be determined. The elections are still two years away...by then, there will probably be another crisis.

As for me...the NRA doesn't dictate who I do or don't vote for, but I can say I consider it a major negative when a politician's first response to a problem is to limit constitutional rights. I believe in all of my rights...ALL of them, not just the 2nd ammendment...and politicians who seek to limit them will face an uphill battle for my vote.

But that's just me. I'm only 1 out of 350000000.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

I must respectfully but emphatically disagree with you on this. In the past several months...in fact, in all of my decade of membership in the NRA...they have never once tried to sell me a gun, or encouraged me to go out and buy a gun.

They have never once stood up and said 'The government's going to take your guns! Better get 'em while you can!'

In my experience, the three top things the NRA does are:

1) Keep reminding me to reup my membership.
2) Encourage me to write my local and federal officals about gun issues and participate in rallies.
3) Encourage safe and responsible enjoyment of hunting and the shooting sports.

Now, while I am a member, I don't agree with everything the NRA says or does...but I certainly can't see how they've done anything but exercise their 1st ammendment rights in defense of the second. Using mass-murders to sell guns? Sorry...I haven't seen the NRA or any gun manufacturer do anything like that.

Personally, it seems clear to me that those who are pushing the bans are causing the upsurge in sales.

As for whether or not NRA allegiance will be a plus or a minus in future elections...undoubtedly in some areas (say, for instance, Illinois) it may be a minus, while in others, it will be a plus. The overall effect is still to be determined. The elections are still two years away...by then, there will probably be another crisis.

As for me...the NRA doesn't dictate who I do or don't vote for, but I can say I consider it a major negative when a politician's first response to a problem is to limit constitutional rights. I believe in all of my rights...ALL of them, not just the 2nd ammendment...and politicians who seek to limit them will face an uphill battle for my vote.

But that's just me. I'm only 1 out of 350000000.

Nicely stated. I agree.

=====================
Public Policy Polling
February 5, 2013

======================

"PPP's polls have been described as "Democratic-leaning"[3] and "accurate."[4] It is labeled as a Democratic firm because in its private client work, it conducts polls only for Democratic campaigns and progressive organizations."

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG