quade

Tell me again how being armed will save you from a mentally unstable person with a gun?

It's bad enough you have to get a permit to protest and exercise your right to free speech.

You don't. You, all by yourself, can stand on a soapbox in any park or street corner and protest all you want as long as that doesn't affect the flow of other people's traffic or business...knock yourself out. Totally free. I'd defend your right to do that to the death and so would the ACLU.

What you need a permit for is a parade or something else that fucks up the flow of traffic or requires additional police to to reroute said traffic or deal with the crowds.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It's bad enough you have to get a permit to protest and exercise your right to free speech.

You don't. You, all by yourself, can stand on a soapbox in any park or street corner and protest all you want as long as that doesn't affect the flow of other people's traffic or business...knock yourself out. Totally free. I'd defend your right to do that to the death and so would the ACLU.

What you need a permit for is a parade or something else that fucks up the flow of traffic or requires additional police to to reroute said traffic or deal with the crowds.

But there are many times when, in my opinion, local authorities use that as an excuse to regulate, restrict and censor public demonstrations of free speech. Here, too, my starting default position is to be highly disapproving of demonstration permits, on constitutional grounds.

ACLU

What do you suppose the "A" stands for? ;)

There are three very visible and vocal politicians saying they have not ruled out confiscation yet.

Dainne, she will try that later, she says if she could do it now., she would.

Bloomburg and Cuomo in their recent press conference said confiscation is "not off the table". The conference announcing the Registration Program of every weapon in NY. This preceded their announcement for the new x-ray search tests, after their stop and frisks happened to be "struck down". (But that should be in another thread, if not already.)

If the AWB 2013 passes, there is Confiscation of your weapons upon your death, no handling them down, the Gov owns them then.

Maybe it is not being phrased the same way, but it is being said and pushed forward.

The forefathers used the word "Arms", not "Rifles and Pistols".

Our issue is the mental health treatment and criminal punishment systems not doing their part.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

But there are many times when, in my opinion, local authorities use that as an excuse to regulate, restrict and censor public demonstrations of free speech. Here, too, my starting default position is to be highly disapproving of demonstration permits, on constitutional grounds.

Be that as it may. Do you disagree with the requirement of fees to defray the cost of police crowd control, traffic and perhaps sanitation or should that be entirely saddled by the community?

I will agree it can and has been misused by some local governments. That doesn't mean the basic concept of permits and fees for large demonstrations/parades is unreasonable.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

And for any gathering in any public place. For the same reasons, LEO's needed to help keep the peace. It may be denied if your protesting a Politician already scheduled though.

Matt

That is not what he's suggesting. YOu have the right to KEEP a gun, the state does not have the right to charge a licensing fee to exercise your right.

QQQNobody is taking away your guns,
I KNOW, NOT NOW AND I WANT TO MAKE SURE THEY DON"T IN THE FUTURE

QQQ unless, of course, you shouldn't have them to begin with.
I"M A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN

QQQIs that really your issue here?
NO

QQQ You're afraid you might not qualify?
I"M FEARLESS

QQQ I don't think I've read where anyone is suggesting a change to who does or doesn't qualify.

SOME STATES ARE PROPOSING HAVING TO QUALIFY AT THE RANGE
QQQ In other words, no change in your current status.
WRONG. EVERYONE MUST QUALIFY IF THEY ARE NOT QUALIFIED. THAT IS A CHANCE.

ANY CHANGE WITH CURRENT GUN RULES IS NOT GOOD FOR THE GUN INDUSTRY OR THE US CITIZEN, IN FACT, FOR SOME STATES RULES NEED RELAXED, NOT ADDED.

BTW: sky diving is banned.

HOW DO YOU FEEL NOW>

A November 2012 Congressional Research Service report found that, as of 2009, there were approximately 310 million firearms in the United States: "114 million handguns, 110 million rifles and 86 million shotguns."
From here:http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20121222/NEWS02/712229941

Deaths from guns 2009 31,177 people. Of those, over 19,700 were suicide.
From here:http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_gun_deaths_are_in_the_US_every_year

According to the US Bureau of Transit Statistics for 2004 there are 243,023,485 registered passenger vehicles in the US.
From here:http://usa.org/cars/index.html

Car Crashes Kill 40,000 in U.S. Every Year

Motor vehicle crashes in the United States result in more than 40,000 deaths per year,” says the Institute in the journal Injury Prevention. “That is, on each of the 6,209 consecutive days included in this study, an equivalent of a plane load or more of people died on the roads.”

From here:http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,146212,00.html#ixzz2KASBNONr

You all are claiming to be so smart, do the F'n math.

BTW, Andy9o8, your little one liners are cute but don't actually bring anything to the table. A common tactic for someone to use when they are obviously wrong or unable to better defend their argument.:S

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

There are three very visible and vocal politicians saying they have not ruled out confiscation yet.

Dainne, she will try that later, she says if she could do it now., she would.

Bloomburg and Cuomo in their recent press conference said confiscation is "not off the table". The conference announcing the Registration Program of every weapon in NY. This preceded their announcement for the new x-ray search tests, after their stop and frisks happened to be "struck down". (But that should be in another thread, if not already.)

If the AWB 2013 passes, there is Confiscation of your weapons upon your death, no handling them down, the Gov owns them then.

Maybe it is not being phrased the same way, but it is being said and pushed forward.

The forefathers used the word "Arms", not "Rifles and Pistols".

Our issue is the mental health treatment and criminal punishment systems not doing their part.

Matt

Nicely stated.

I remember the day I got in the aircraft and flew from Pa, across Baltimore, directly across Washington all the way to the VA/ NC WITHOUT EVER TALKING TO A CONTROLLER. Now I'm required to take instruction on the airspace, take a test, carry a card, file a plan, squawk a code, call approach, not go here, not go there etc. In 10 years I won't be able to leave the house without having to file a report on where I want to go and be tracked while doing it. Along with other citizens doing the same thing.

GIVE UP YOUR RIGHTS AND NEVER GET THEM BACK.

Never will a J3 cub fly across the potomac again.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2012/12/21/new-york-governor-gun-confiscation-on-the-table-n1472196

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2971549/posts

Here is a few, I messed up the quote, the point is the same.
Googled it myself.

Matt

Mine survived, but had some holes to show for it. I wish I could have talked to him more about it but he left this earth about 50 years ago.

Same here but he wouldn't talk about it. Only two pics exist of him in uniform.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The risks are worth it when you are talking about MY kids but are not worth it at all when talking about YOURS.

My kid is better than your kid. Got it.

Not at all. If you can afford private school for your kids, go for it. Nobody is stopping you.

If you can't afford private school, maybe stop being so lazy and work harder. This is America, anybody can be successful if they just work hard enough.

Why do you want the government to pay for something, just because rich people can afford it? You are either extremely jealous, or a communist.

This has GOT to be the most off-the-wall, stupidest post by anyone ever . I have to assume you are joking but just in case.....

You think it's about private schools and being able to afford them?
*WHOOSH*
:D:D:D

By, say, requiring a $1000 reserve and two $50 repacks a year if you want to jump? I'd be OK with that. (I suspect you are, too.)

Just all fine and dandy, right?
Wrong says Mr. Collector who has multiple weapons, none of which are used...as if that has any bearing.

I'm betting you'll came back with, "Well, I have more than one rig so...."

You are so clueless on this...it's sad.

[Are you sure you're comfortable with the only people able to exercise constitutional rights are the ones that can afford to pay a fee?

Depends on what they're actually paying for. Are you suggesting a government paid gun welfare program to give guns to people who can't afford them? I wouldn't have thought that would be your style. I'm not for it.

The de facto reality is that in order for a person to exercise a number of their rights, they have to pay to do so. For instance, in order to exercise your 3rd Amendment, you kind of have to at least have paid for your domicile to begin with. Likewise with your gun and bullets. You already pay sales tax on those. A registration fee would be nothing different.

In another gun thread a few days ago I expressed that I feel that registration fees and/or insurance premiums can be high enough to be unconstitutional.

Ah - here it is: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4436736#4436736

Generally speaking, my starting position is to be very disapproving of having to pay to exercise constitutional rights.

In Citizens United the SCOTUS declared that money IS speech.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Speaking of tantrums, you made any bets lately?

I haven't lost a single one on this web site. Why do you ask? Are you looking to be humiliated again?

Humiliated?

No

I lost

Disappointed there are so many low information voters
but

Not a big deal

I paid my debt and I did not try to belittle anyone

Its cool
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Disappointed there are so many low information voters

Indeed:

States by percentage of adults 25-34 with at least a college degree, as of 2010
Top 10:

MA 54.4
ND 50.8
MN 49.8
NY 49.6
NH 46.0
CA 45.9
IA 45.5
MD 45.5
VT 44.5
PA 43.9

You will note the shortage of red states,

and the bottom 10:

ID 32.7
TX 32.2
MS 32.1
AL 31.5
OK 30.8
LA 30.3
WV 24.5
NM 28.7
AR 28.6
NV 28.4

Two Blue states out of those ten, NV & NM.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Poor, poor, poor logic. No indication what the cause and effect is. However, anecdotal evidence indicates: universities turn out a more liberal population. I recall my university professors. They were pushing a liberal agenda.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Poor, poor, poor logic. No indication what the cause and effect is. However, anecdotal evidence indicates: universities turn out a more liberal population. I recall my university professors. They were pushing a liberal agenda.

None of my college professors really pushed any agenda at all, one way or the other, and I was a government major at a uni in the heart of Yankee-land. OK, one history prof was a Communist, but that's it; and he was an oddball who nobody took seriously, anyway. And that school has a huge Business/Management department, and the profs there were and are overwhelmingly conservative and Republican. In law school, also in the Northeast, most profs were pretty moderate; and the contracts, corporate, tax and estate guys were very conservative. No out-of-the-closet pinkos.

Might have just been my school. I had an English professor that had us friggin meditate in class. I fully expected my philosophy professor to light up a doobie in class any time. The human sexuality professor? Whooooo! Astronomy? Actually criticized people for having religious beliefs. This was deep in the heart of the Bible Belt.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.