billvon

Iranian monkey in space!

There's a joke in here somewhere, hasn't come to me yet . . .

=========
Iran Sends Monkey into Space
Mon, 01/28/2013 - 10:53am
Associated Press, Ali Akbar Dareini

Iran says it has successfully sent a monkey into space, describing the launch as another step toward Tehran's goal of a manned space flight.

According to a brief report on state TV, the rocket dubbed Pishgam, or Pioneer in Farsi, reached a height of 120 kilometers (72 miles). The report gave no other details on the timing or location of the launch, but say the monkey returned to earth safely.
==========

The joke is that Iran is trying to develop technology that leads into an ICBM program while developing nuclear weapons.

Well, sending a monkey into space would be decent proof of a certain level of capability. It proves (if you can call something with little in the way of official detail as proof) that they can lob a certain mass to a certain height. That takes a certain amount of energy and control over the rocket. I'm not sure that the space-monkey capsule is equivalent to the mass of a nuclear weapon, but it's considerably more than is required for just telemetry of a rocket with no payload. And keeping the monkey alive in the process proves they have enough control over things like an even power output and it's not just spin stabilized (which would cause the monkey to die).
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The joke is that Iran is trying to develop technology that leads into an ICBM program while developing nuclear weapons.

Well, sending a monkey into space would be decent proof of a certain level of capability. It proves (if you can call something with little in the way of official detail as proof) that they can lob a certain mass to a certain height. That takes a certain amount of energy and control over the rocket. I'm not sure that the space-monkey capsule is equivalent to the mass of a nuclear weapon, but it's considerably more than is required for just telemetry of a rocket with no payload. And keeping the monkey alive in the process proves they have enough control over things like an even power output and it's not just spin stabilized (which would cause the monkey to die).

It's a progression. Our own high technology was born from our space program and defense applications. Is it hard to believe another country would take the same road we did, well, a similar road as it may be.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ive seen a picture of that monkey. Can you tell me why it looks so much like nathan lane?

I thought it had an uncanny likeness to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

:D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Fark: Iran launches rocket, sending monkey into space. Monkey almost returned safely but then was recovered by Iranian officials.
:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Fark: Iran launches rocket, sending monkey into space. Monkey almost returned safely but then was recovered by Iranian officials.
:D

Iranian monkey, in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."