regulator

Obama goes skeet shooting 'all the time'

President Obama, who as a candidate once claimed some voters "cling" to guns and religion and has launched a renewed push for an assault-weapons ban, revealed a curious factoid in an interview with The New Republic -- he's an avid skeet shooter, apparently.

"Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," Obama said.

The president was responding to a common question asked to gun-control advocates: "Have you ever fired a gun?"

Obama revealed his skeet-shooting interest -- something that he has not mentioned before -- and went on to defend America's hunting tradition.

"Part of being able to move this forward is understanding the reality of guns in urban areas are very different from the realities of guns in rural areas," Obama said. "And if you grew up and your dad gave you a hunting rifle when you were 10, and you went out and spent the day with him and your uncles, and that became part of your family's traditions, you can see why you'd be pretty protective of that."

The president made clear that the women of the Obama family do not go skeet shooting with him.

"Not the girls, but oftentimes guests of mine go up there," Obama said in the interview. "And I have a profound respect for the traditions of hunting that trace back in this country for generations. And I think those who dismiss that out of hand make a big mistake."

Obama and congressional Democrats have tried to insist that their push for gun-control legislation would respect the rights of hunters and sportsmen.

Shotguns, which are typically used in skeet shooting, would be largely exempt from a renewed assault-weapons ban.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., introduced the ban last week, as well as a new federal limit on high-capacity magazines.

Obama said in the interview he wants to "bridge" gaps between the two sides in the debate in the months ahead.

"And that means that advocates of gun control have to do a little more listening than they do sometimes," he said.

The National Rifle Association and a number of Republican lawmakers have already lined up against the Feinstein bill, claiming the last assault-weapons ban did little to curb violent crime.

"The American people know gun bans do not work and we are confident Congress will reject Senator Feinstein's wrong-headed approach," an NRA spokesman said last week.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/28/obama-says-goes-skeet-shooting-all-time/

the talk about this relating in any way to hunting, etc, is a purposeful diversion

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I just think that was a very convenient statement to make at this juncture in his gun control campaign. Personally I call bullshit. Of course there will be someone who will bring up a picture of obama wearing camo holding a shotgun for a photoshoot and use that as evidence. Any way you cut it...political tactics. I seriously doubt he would know the difference between a 'high house' and a 'low house'.

reminds me of what we had to cadence during corporal punishment during basic training for referring to our rifle/weapon as a gun. standing at attention with our rifle held at arms length in front we sounded off with.......

"this is my rifle, this is my gun, this one's for fighting, this one's for fun."

not much fight in this one unless you consider violating another country's sovereign air space and killing people on a secret list with no due process with robotic aircraft.

He's a Chicago city dweller.

So it's more likely that the secret service takes him snipe hunting regularly. He probably thinks it's very difficult and that he's quite good at it. Likely an expert at staging the burlap bag especially.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think the NRA should use this opportunity to allow the president to put his money where his mouth is. Take him to the closest skeet range and the most 'birds' shot in one round wins. Of course bringing Nancy Pelosi with him should be banned since shes so damn ugly the skeet would self-destruct.

I think the NRA should use this opportunity to allow the president to put his money where his mouth is. Take him to the closest skeet range and the most 'birds' shot in one round wins. Of course bringing Nancy Pelosi with him should be banned since shes so damn ugly the skeet would self-destruct.

I hope you are in as good shape as she is when you're 79.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

bring her along, maybe we could luck out and one would shoot the other

Enjoy that conversation with the Secret Service.

Enjoy that conversation with the Secret Service.

Hey I Cheney shot some one maybe we could get lucky if t happened again. The SS can question me any tme thy want.

We're getting so bad now we can't tell when we're being set up. You really think the president lied about skeet shooting? The far right might look a bit stupid when he shows up in his shooting outfit.[:/]

I'm gonna reserve comment until I know it's safe to come out.

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I have no idea if he shoots / has shot / will shoot. It is a really convenient time to bring it up. You have to understand that it will raise a few eyebrows.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I have no idea if he shoots / has shot / will shoot. It is a really convenient time to bring it up. You have to understand that it will raise a few eyebrows.

Not above the eyes of anyone who isn't already very partisan. Oh, the partisan blogosphere and fox news will mock him, anxd some columnists will need to generate copy, but most issue-moderates and political moderates really couldn't care less about the silly shit. I'm a moderate and I couldn't care less; I'm only posting here because I'm on a mission from God.

Ok time to shit shower shave and make the doughnuts.

I just think that was a very convenient statement to make at this juncture in his gun control campaign. Personally I call bullshit.

actually, I'm sure he has shot trap and likely does it to have a bit of fun.

Of course he brings it up now, it's pertinent to the point that he SHOULD understand one (minor) facet of the discussion. And that he hasn't brought it up before would be because it's just another activity, he likely doesn't misuse the weapon, and it's not anybody else's business whether he finds shooting guns to be a fun, and private, hobby or not.

If someone wanted to outlaw or restrict basketball or golf, I'm sure he'd also mention that does those activities too.

I assume, that if he was a private citizen, he'd be pretty upset at a government that doesn't trust him enough to own a piece of property and to practice a recreational activity responsibly.....

The point that he is treating his experience as the only legitimate reason for firearms ownership - or as the only valid aspect - just highlights his extreme narcissism, which we all already know about, so nothing new there.:P {{the other, more likely, point, is he just answered a question honestly}}

And that he hasn't brought it up before would be because it's just another activity, he likely doesn't misuse the weapon, and it's not anybody else's business whether he finds shooting guns to be a fun, and private, hobby or not.

Just like 99.9999% of all gun owners in America. The same ones upon whom he wants to pile-on more restrictions.

And that he hasn't brought it up before would be because it's just another activity, he likely doesn't misuse the weapon, and it's not anybody else's business whether he finds shooting guns to be a fun, and private, hobby or not.

Just like 99.9999% of all gun owners in America. The same ones upon whom he wants to pile-on more restrictions.

(that was my point, I was being wry and subtle)