timgaines

Conservapedia - what the actual f*ck?

Is this some kind of practical joke on the world or is this actually information that many people in the USA take for real?

The USA used to be a great nation....and now... just wow...

http://conservapedia.com/Main_Page

'homosexual agenda' 'attempts to derive E=mc2 have failed' '[Creationism]...may explain why Europe is such a mess at this time; however, this does not explain why Middle Eastern countries are in such poor conditions. Perhaps Christian creationism has a positive effect while Islamic creationism has a negative one.'

Everything great the USA has done has been destroyed in this one website.

Well, there are a bunch of wingnuts that actually believe that garbage.

This crap too:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/

Fortunately, they are a small, but very vocal and active minority.

Edit to add: It was already in SC when I replied, Turtle. Nothing to do with the "liberal agenda," the way most of the 'true believers' argue with the scientists is what put SC here in the first place.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Is this some kind of practical joke on the world or is this actually information that many people in the USA take for real?

The USA used to be a great nation....and now... just wow...

http://conservapedia.com/Main_Page

'homosexual agenda' 'attempts to derive E=mc2 have failed' '[Creationism]...may explain why Europe is such a mess at this time; however, this does not explain why Middle Eastern countries are in such poor conditions. Perhaps Christian creationism has a positive effect while Islamic creationism has a negative one.'

Everything great the USA has done has been destroyed in this one website.

Speakers Corner in T-minus 10 . . . 9 . . . 8 . . . 7 . . . 6 . . . 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . Liftoff

You can hear that giant liberal thrust motor pushing those tons of hot air thrust out of the arse end can't you?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>Is this some kind of practical joke on the world

Nope. A lot of people believe that. Some right wingers are very anti-science, and consider things like the theory of relativity, evolution, climate change, astrophysics, geology etc to be evil liberal plots to destroy America. One only has to look at the various creationism museums around the country (16 at last count) to see this in action.

Fortunately such people are in the minority.

I think you are over-amping the importance of this web site. It means nothing. It actually is an illustration of the strength of America, because everyone has free speech, even to say goofy stuff. And the answer to goofy stuff, is more free speech which speaks the truth and debunks goofy stuff. Nothing really worthy of note here. Move along...

Much of Fox News Channel is self-serving "happy talk," telling its elderly audience what it wants to hear, or selling O'Reilly's latest book.

WOW:D:D:D:D

They are so conservative, even they hate Fox News!
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Its a wiki, i.e. anyone can edit it, or maybe they have some controls on that avoid too many liberal lies to be put into it. Personally I like to get my facts from the *only* trustworthy wiki, ED

The fact that it is a wiki is amusing because all liberals want to do is change things while conservatives want things to stay the same. Every edit made on the site goes against CP's purpose.

Every article on CP is an improvement of the same article on Wikipedia, freed from liberal bias and proofreading, and condensed into one or two concise sentences, then spammed to Hell with pertinent information about religion, creationism and what great presidents Ronald Reagan and W were. A good analogy: TOW is to Conservapedia as CNN is to Fox News.

Your rights end where my feelings begin.

The part I looked at was 100% accurate and the rest politically irrelevant although the next time I get bored I might read some for entertainment value.

http://conservapedia.com/Gun_control

For the most part I've always viewed the Republicans and Democrats as two sides of the same counterfeit coin, the inevitable result of a first past the post electoral system producing two choices nearly alike where they agree on everything significant (and offensive) - spending as much as the rest of the world put together on a military, support for other corporatist interests driving up essential costs like housing/health care/education faster than inflation producing a decreasing standard of living, a punitive tax system (Bush 43 made America's tax system the most progressive out of the OECD 24, Reagan contributed to Romney's 47% of non-income-tax-payers with the earned income credit expansion, this is very much a bipartisan effort), laws against recreational drugs apart from alcohol (with carbs, obesity, and hangovers) and tobacco (with cancer) with the resulting war on some drugs (While the drunk asks for a hand out that he'll eventually get to buy his fix, the coke/meth/heroin/whatever addict can't make ends meet that way so I need to worry about them mugging me), etc.

Deprived of a choice in significant issues (for example everyone not downsizing to a less expensive home or involved in selling real estate and mortgages would do better in a world with 8% interest rates that can only go down and half the home value over one with 3% loans that can't go down without becoming negative in real terms and double the price tags, property taxes, and down-payments; and that situation only exists because of government intervention in the mortgage market with the GSEs and federal reserve purchase of mortgage backed securities) only the less significant remain with gun control the biggest among them for me personally.

As a man abortion isn't a personal issue and as a working guy I can afford to fly the women in my family to free states and countries if needed; as some one saving for my retirement I'm likely to be disqualified by the inevitable means testing of Social Security so cuts don't matter; the kids have under graduate degrees so school funding doesn't matter; I'm happily married to a woman so gay marriage is also a theoretical concern; etc.

After Obama's promise to vigorously pursue gun control laws including a meaningful ban on some of the guns I like to own I got comfortable overlooking everything else which doesn't affect me personally.

That also has the nice side effect of reducing the amount of propaganda I need to sift through when voting.

Do you people think I can donate money to the national GOP and have that spent on winnable fights with candidates that I'd support (with geography based districts and left-leaning Demographics I can't elect people to represent me, and could not get a proportional representation ballot initiative passed) or do I need to take the trouble to find candidates I'd like in contested winnable races elsewhere and make direct donations?

Is it safe to donate to the state Republican party, do I need to exercise the same due diligence, or is my money best spent at the national level?

Fortunately such people are in the minority.***

Perhaps in the general population, but not where it counts. At one of the recent GOP presidential debates, the vast majority of candidates claimed the earth was created 10, 000 years ago.

Yea, this is when it starts to get worrying beyond a 'harmless' website, a little bit of searching brings up this guy, Paul Broun who sits on your "House Science, Space and Technology Committee" but claims it is all 'lies from the pit of hell'. Now this strikes me as a bit concerning.
Presumably this committee is responsible for where funding goes or something similar, but when the guy in charge flat out denies it, maybe there are other motives behind him? This can't be a individual case?

First link I found, there are many others http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/07/nation/la-na-nn-paul-broun-evolution-hell-20121007

Another thing I hear a lot from the far 'right wing' america, trying to defend itself by banning things like evolution, big bang, gay rights, in an attempt to protect 'democracy/the american way/freedom/whatever' but these seem to be the exact same policies brought in by very UN-American countries such as Uganda, Russia...?

Speakers Corner in T-minus 10 . . . 9 . . . 8 . . . 7 . . . 6 . . . 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . Liftoff

You can hear that giant liberal thrust motor pushing those tons of hot air thrust out of the arse end can't you?

Turtle!!! Get your reptilian ass over here to Belgium and clean my screen! That was classic. I had a mental image and everything.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

For the most part I've always viewed the Republicans and Democrats as two sides of the same counterfeit coin, the inevitable result of a first past the post electoral system producing two choices nearly alike where they agree on everything significant (and offensive)

This means that nationally people split evenly among the two, essentially 50-50 +/- a small margin of error. For instance, here are the last few winning presidential candidates' popular vote shares:

2012 51.0% Obama
2008 52.9% Obama
2004 50.6% Bush
2000 47.8% Bush
1996 49.2% Clinton

etc.

Politicians come down on the right side of that margin of error by motivating people at the fringes to show up and vote, like the Evangelical Christians with their young Earth.

There are nut jobs on the left and the right.
Remember senator Hank Johnson(D-GA) who was worried about gaum capsizing because of an increase in military personel and the people and infrastructure that would support them on one side of the island?
Kind of like people thinking gun bans will stop criminals from getting guns to commit crimes. Just like banning unprescribed drug use has stopped unprescribed drug use:D:D:D.

>There are nut jobs on the left and the right.

Definitely. Conservapedia just has a high right-nut concentration.

>Just like banning unprescribed drug use has stopped unprescribed drug use

Or banning drunk driving has reduced the incidence of drunk driving? Inconceivable!

>Or banning drunk driving has reduced the incidence of drunk driving? Inconceivable!

I sure see alot of cars parked in drinking establishment parking lots.
They sure have alot of DUI road blocks around the holidays as well.
They also still have alot of DUI arrest in the police blotters.
Hell in the last week here in the northwest they had a pedestrian killed by a drunk driver on the sidewalk in portland,a car drive of the road near cornelius oregon related do DUI, just to mention a couple of many.
Last year they had several cops busted for DUI as well.
These are just the high profile incidents and not to mention the DUI's who get away with it.
I bet the rest of the US is the same as here.

>They also still have alot of DUI arrest in the police blotters.

Yes, they do. And overall, drunk driving deaths are way down.

Making something a crime does not end the crime, as any victim of a crime will tell you. In many cases, though, it greatly reduces the odds that you will be a victim of it.

I feel that MADD's campaign against drunk driving has educated people and helped change how they feel about drunk driving,and this has far more effect than a .08 blood alcohol law.
People still drink and drive(look at all the cars at any watering hole),but they are less likely to be shitfaced when they climb behind the wheel,because it is not cool anymore.
Less shitfaced= better driving=less accidents.

>I feel that MADD's campaign against drunk driving has educated people . . . .

That's part of it. Another part is significantly greater enforcement, stiffer penalties and mandatory jail time.

>People still drink and drive(look at all the cars at any watering hole),but they are less
>likely to be shitfaced when they climb behind the wheel,because it is not cool anymore.

Oh, it's just as cool; watch what happens at any DZ when people ask "are you OK to drive?" But the penalties of getting caught - losing your license (and thus perhaps your job and your medical) massive increases in car insurance payments, jail time etc - now convince most people to at least wait a while before trying to drive home.

:D:DYeah DZ's are full of good judgement.
I'm not saying that the threat of punishment is not severe,but so is getting nailed repeatedly with crack cocaine or smack,ect,and yet drug use and other crimes are rampant.
I know people who have been in prison for repeated drunk driving charges,and they just keep doing it.
Everytime I go to a bar,I see people get behind the wheel after having consumed well over what would put them over .08,but not staggering shitfaced. I think that serving laws that punish servers who keep feeding booze to someone who is lit, are effective at helping to deter shitfaced drivers.I really feel though that people in general have changed there view of drunk driving and feel it's immoral, and this is a huge factor in it's decline.
Good people do not rape,steal,murder,ect,because it's illegal,but rather they do not want to, because illegal or not,it is wrong to them.
Bad people will always do bad things until made to stop,and usually will do bad things again at their next chance,laws or no laws.
Poverty I feel is also a huge factor in making people bad.
Anyway,I apologise for getting this thread so far off the original topic. You have alot of good points and I enjoy going back and forth with you.