Genego

Tell your child's school about your guns?

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/358395/3/Mo-proposal-makes-parents-tell-schools-about-gun-supply

Missouri State Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal, wants to make it mandatory for parents who own guns to notify their children's schools about their gun supply.

What's next?
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.

From the link:
""It encourages parents to make sure they store their guns safely in their home, it also gives the school districts the opportunity to help encourage gun safety in the community and in the household," says the Senator."

I can't imagine any way that knowing what people have in their homes would have any impact on either of those goals. I also think school districts have enough to do without becoming involved in "encouraging gun safety in the household". Just another piece of useless window dressing so someone can say "Look at me! I got a law passed!"

Don

My guess is that, window-dressing aside, they really want to know which students might have easy(ier) access to guns.

Considering that far, far more kids die from prescription drugs (pain pills mostly) than from guns, should they find out which students have easy(ier) acces to those?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My guess is that, window-dressing aside, they really want to know which students might have easy(ier) access to guns.

Considering that far, far more kids die from prescription drugs (pain pills mostly) than from guns, should they find out which students have easy(ier) acces to those?

I'm (still) guessing that their motivation is more to enable them to keep an extra eye out not just for the particularly odd(er) or troubled(er) kids, but such kids who also have easy access to guns, on the presumption that such sub-category of kids potentially represent an enhanced security risk to the school. I'm pretty sure that, for example, the protection division of the Secret Service considers such people to be an enhanced security risk to their protectees, so I suppose an argument can be made that it's reasonable to emulate that approach.

Academia seeks to use the innocence of children to go after parents that don't buy into academia's Big Government Statist ideology. Think this is a myth? Think again, the insanity has already begun.

Father arrested after 4 year old daughter draws a picture of a man holding a gun

but wait that happened in Canada, there is no way this would happen in the USA.

Think again, it did happen, it did happen in the USA.

Philadelphia 5th grader scolded, searched for pulling out piece of paper that resembled gun

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Why does it have to be one XOR the other?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I can't come up with a better explanation. You could go off on a conspiracy theory and say it's a type of registration leading to confiscation. But even if it is what you describe (which I agree with), what is the point?

Are you going to send kids to special counselors / evaluators because their parents own guns? Are you going to put them in special classrooms? Are you going to hire special staff just to track them? How are you going to single out these children and make their lives more difficult? Maybe a special patch on their clothing like the Nazis made the Jews wear? (I bring that up to point out it is highly unlikely anyone is going to single out these children and make it a positive or neutral thing)

I really can't think of a way this doesn't go badly.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I've mulled this over a while now. It doesn't get better with time. Either this Senator has some ulterior motive akin to gun registration, or he just can't see past the end of his nose. There is really no way I can come up with to turn this into something that will not cause the kids problems. Maybe that's the point? Stigmatize the kids so their parents will get rid of the guns?

I'm lost on this one.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Agreed. I really don't care for consipracy theories or dark motives. Most government fuckery is more easily attributed to laziness or pure incompetence.

I am often reminded of the bite from Dark Knight Rises (I think) where the good guy tells the Joker that it's all part of the Joker's plan. The Joker looks at him (in full makeup and wearing a nurse's uniform) and says, "Do I look like a guy with a plan?"

I think most of our Senators and Congress Members should put on the clown paint.

I'm (still) guessing that their motivation is more to enable them to keep an extra eye out not just for the particularly odd(er) or troubled(er) kids, but such kids who also have easy access to guns, on the presumption that such sub-category of kids potentially represent an enhanced security risk to the school. I'm pretty sure that, for example, the protection division of the Secret Service considers such people to be an enhanced security risk to their protectees, so I suppose an argument can be made that it's reasonable to emulate that approach.

Dedicating all that energy into a primitive form of profiling to try to prevent an event that is statistically never going to happen does not improve the overall. This would be seen the first time there is an event with a kid whose parents do not own (or did not admit to it, for obvious reasons). It can, of course, be back tested against prior events. We know the Columbine kids got it from an 18yo girlfriend (who for reasons that escape me, avoided any consequences). And then you would have to examine to see if their behavior before the event would raise flags, but not result in a million flags being raised a year.

OTOH, the airlines locked the cockpit door and put unmarked air marshalls on board. This accepted the reality that no amount of TSA sexual assault would prevent potential threats from boarding. You cannot engineer a failure free system, so you engineer how to deal with failure.

For those reasons, you reject the NRA's cop in every school proposal and stick to the prior notion of letting teachers obtain CCWs as they wish.

You're absolutely right. I regularly see stories of kids coming into school and wiping out a handful of their classmates with their parents Oxycodone...

Why does it have to be one XOR the other?

If it's not car accidents, it's drugs. Or criminals... Or criminals with cars... Or immigrants. Or immigrants with drugs... Or llamas... Or some other such ridiculousness.

Apparently we have to solve every other problem in the world, in a particular order first, before it's acceptable to look at controlling access to firearms.

Makes perfect sense... no? :|

You're absolutely right. I regularly see stories of kids coming into school and wiping out a handful of their classmates with their parents Oxycodone...

It happens more often than you might think.

Prescription drug deaths are way, way up. Especially among kids.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121016092848.htm
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It happens more often than you might think.

Prescription drug deaths are way, way up. Especially among kids.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121016092848.htm

What about prescription drug murders?

Two different posters intentionally missed the point.

Which is a real problem? When a hundred kids die individually from overdose or when twenty die in one place at one time?

Is a person who dies by accidental overdoes less dead than ones who had the drugs forced upon them?

The points was expenditure of resources compared to lives saved.

Two different posters intentionally missed the point.

Which is a real problem? When a hundred kids die individually from overdose or when twenty die in one place at one time?

Is a person who dies by accidental overdoes less dead than ones who had the drugs forced upon them?

The points was expenditure of resources compared to lives saved.

Oh, I missed that.

I thought the distinction was:

Taking your own life, doesn't take someone else's life

and

Taking someone else's life, does take someone else's life.

So in my mind killing yourself is fine by me, killing me is not.

In general, I do not disagree. If you are an adult who has assessed that you are no longer interested in what the future holds or things are just not worth working through, feel free to exit. Pre-apy for your final expenses, report to the hospital and pop a pill. Nobody else's concern if you do it correctly.

However, we are talking here about kids who are experiencing hormonal changes and social pressures that will probably go away. If we can prevent them killing themselves and others until they get through that stage of life, we should.

In general, I do not disagree. If you are an adult who has assessed that you are no longer interested in what the future holds or things are just not worth working through, feel free to exit. Pre-apy for your final expenses, report to the hospital and pop a pill. Nobody else's concern if you do it correctly.

However, we are talking here about kids who are experiencing hormonal changes and social pressures that will probably go away. If we can prevent them killing themselves and others until they get through that stage of life, we should.

Gotcha.

So stop getting distracted with the massive homicide rate in the USA, and focus on preventing teen suicide which is a real problem.

You are intentionally being obtuse.

Both are problems and should be addressed. However, the point of the prior poster was more effort should be put into greater problems. If more teens are being killed with drugs, prevention of that problem should receive greater resources.

You are intentionally being obtuse.

Both are problems and should be addressed. However, the point of the prior poster was more effort should be put into greater problems. If more teens are being killed with drugs, prevention of that problem should receive greater resources.

I think yoink said it best.