wayneflorida

Secret 'no-fly zone'?

There's been about 6,000 pilots handed tickets for breaking control zones. There are 17 federal agencies that deal with private pilots breaking flying through restricted zone. There is a glider club next to Camp David. Since 911 the club has been cut back but fortunately they have a waiver and must abide by certain flight rules they didn't have abide by before 911. The construct of restricted zones after 911 was an employment bonaza for federal agencies staffing to deal with pilots. It's an industry totally constructed by the gov't and in some cases designed to snare pilots. See fly through area between Baltimore and WAshington. Best to steer clear as you'd only be helping that gov't worker if you make a mistake.

Btw: Military jets intercepted a Bonaza carrying a doc and his family back from Bahama off NC and one jet ran into them and downed the doc. All dead. Stupid military for their actions as the doc was on IFR and talking to ATC another case of Federal agencies not talking to each other. This was in the 70's.

I'm aware of the intercept in reference to the Doc and family. If my memory serves me correctly, it was an F4 that was creeping up on the aircraft in IMC conditions to identify its N number when the collision occurred.

There was no contact with the pilot at the time and that is why Center requested a intercept. I believe the Pilot did not file an ICAO flight Plan and busted the US ADIZ Boundary without a proper flight plan and or being in contact with Air Traffic Control. But I could be wrong and will look up this incident for the facts.

I personally spoke to the commander of the flight wing. I'll refrain from telling you what I told him as I frequented that route. He had no response to what I told him.

I got it!

It was another one of your all-too-obvious misdirects that you are so famous for. I was hoping it wasn't...that's why I asked. But, alas, ho-hum...it is what it is.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Local law enforcement has NO authority over aircraft or the air. I like that the pilots knew that.

Texas has a Flying While Intoxicated statute, but I'm still not sure how to make the plane pull over and complete SFSTs.;)

(Obviously it is the sort of thing filed on after an incident).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Don't you teach your students that most incidents are the result of a chain of events, and that breaking the chain at any point would have prevented the incident?

That saying is completely false as you and billvon always state it. The chances are BETTER for a good outcome if you break the chain, but you cant say the accident would have been prevented.

If I got into a head on accident and killed someone and the trooper found out I was high, drunk, had under inflated tires, poor tread life left, the road was under lit, and poorly maintained.

How can you say removing one of these factors would prevent the incident?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I got it!

It was another one of your all-too-obvious misdirects that you are so famous for. I was hoping it wasn't...that's why I asked. But, alas, ho-hum...it is what it is.

Try again. If you think REALLY HARD you will see the connection.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Don't you teach your students that most incidents are the result of a chain of events, and that breaking the chain at any point would have prevented the incident?

That saying is completely false as you and billvon always state it. The chances are BETTER for a good outcome if you break the chain, but you cant say the accident would have been prevented.

If I got into a head on accident and killed someone and the trooper found out I was high, drunk, had under inflated tires, poor tread life left, the road was under lit, and poorly maintained.

How can you say removing one of these factors would prevent the incident?

What part of "most" in " most incidents" is it that you are unable to comprehend?

While law enforcement clearly overreacted put yourself in their shoes for a second: not familiar with aviation and there is a thing that looks like a drone - giant wings, no engine noise, flying very slow and low -- OVER a nuke plant. If it was my responsibility to keep that plant safe I might freak out too.

Good advice from the SSA in the article: In its communication to members about the rules for flying near power plants and other infrastructure, the Soaring Society of America called on glider pilots to reach out to on-site security at local power plants and laboratories: “Open a dialogue and tell them who you are and when you may be in their area.”
www.wci.nyc

I'm pretty sure if I called my local nuke plant and told them I was going to be paragliding or soaring over their site, don't worry about it, I would be met at my front door soon after by men in suits with questions.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I got it!

Yep. It was the infamous Kallend Misdirection Ploy (KMP). I knew it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>The number of things the cops got wrong and lied about is rather disturbing.

Agreed. That's what happens when cops try to get involved in aviation. (We see something similar when skydivers get all bent out of shape when an airplane "illegally flies through a DZ's airspace" but unlike this case they have no power to get themselves in trouble.) Like I said, hopefully the outcome was an ass-chewing and a warning to not screw around in areas they're not qualified to police.

Saying its not indicated on the sectional isn't a good excuse and especially flying at 1,000 agl.

Somehow I can't see him flapping his arms to gain altitude, so that leaves -- landing "out", and possibly even in the lake.

While law enforcement clearly overreacted put yourself in their shoes for a second: not familiar with aviation and there is a thing that looks like a drone - giant wings, no engine noise, flying very slow and low -- OVER a nuke plant. If it was my responsibility to keep that plant safe I might freak out too.

Are LEO's not responsible for knowing all aspects of whatever "law" (or not a law?) they are going to "enforce"? This whole thing sounds like "they went off half-cocked". I would have been happier with him going through a trial, being found "not guilty", and then suing this group out of existence.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

Saying its not indicated on the sectional isn't a good excuse and especially flying at 1,000 agl.

Somehow I can't see him flapping his arms to gain altitude, so that leaves -- landing "out", and possibly even in the lake.

Only if he has even worse pilot judgement than he has about generally freaking out people. A pilot of even horrible quality should constantly be playing the "what are my options" game. In a glider, you don't get that low without knowing exactly what your options are.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

FWIW, I live just a few miles from a nuke plant, and I see planes fly over it all the time.
Yet at the same time, I live right under the turn around for the PAX river NAS, and my house does not appear correctly in any GPS I have ever seen (of which there have been several).

The nuke plant seems to be just where it says it is. My house is always at least a half mile from where it is on the map. :S

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I got it!

Yep. It was the infamous Kallend Misdirection Ploy (KMP). I knew it.

Not my fault if you can't figure it out for yourself.

Only if he has even worse pilot judgement than he has about generally freaking out people. A pilot of even horrible quality should constantly be playing the "what are my options" game. In a glider, you don't get that low without knowing exactly what your options are.

+1
www.wci.nyc