toolbox

Georgia mother shoots home invader

This happened a couple of days ago in Madera. Perp comes in to a pharmacy looking for drugs and starts shooting, hitting the pharmacy owner's wife in the leg. Pharmacy owner returns fire, hitting the perp, who ran off and died.

http://www.kmph-kfre.com/story/20545529/pharmacy-owner-shoots-and-kills-armed-assailant-updated

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I have generally found most Skydivers around the world to usually be a little more open-minded than the rest of community but I guess there are exceptions to the rule.
Have fun guys.

90% of jumpers are open minded.... the other 10% are regular posters here.:S

I have generally found most Skydivers around the world to usually be a little more open-minded than the rest of community but I guess there are exceptions to the rule.
Have fun guys.

I think lefties like you constitute more than 10%.:ph34r:

Have fun guys.

If you left we would move closer to 9%
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Wow, I guess you really told me then they?
Give in to my emotions when I talk? how about practising what you preach champ.
So being in the Military makes you an instant expert on Gun Control does it? Oh, and to answer your question I was in the Military for around 5 years, not that it matters one little bit.
How stupid I was trying to “discuss” merits of gun control with Gun crazy Americans, like trying to convince a Fat chick that Diet Coke won’t make her Slim….I have generally found most Skydivers around the world to usually be a little more open-minded than the rest of community but I guess there are exceptions to the rule.
Have fun guys.

-----------------------------------------------
whatever you say to your girlfriend in your own time is on you.

However I dont know how you can think your little corner of the world...to which all of its inhabitants could fit in texas alone is suddenly the cornerstone of civility.

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=17847

No I do not think that Lisa. But NOT having Guns in the house might actually limit the options of the mentality unstable types should they go off the deep end….
But what do I know, I come from a country that doesn’t have a mass shooting every month or so, you guys are the experts..

so you would rather she had been killed and her kids either killed or psychologically scarred for life.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Every day (even in Australia) we hear news of pissed off Psychos getting out of their cars and bashing someone enough to put them in hospital simply because they might have accidently cut them off in traffic. There are way too many people out there today who have very little self-control and snap when they are angry or stressed. Do you really want these guys having a gun? How do you know who is capable of doing what when you issue them with permission to get a gun?

I don't think the guys you mention should necessarily have guns, but I do think the guys they're bashing should have access to them. Then they won't bash anyone else, anyways.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

Every day (even in Australia) we hear news of pissed off Psychos getting out of their cars and bashing someone enough to put them in hospital simply because they might have accidently cut them off in traffic. There are way too many people out there today who have very little self-control and snap when they are angry or stressed. Do you really want these guys having a gun? How do you know who is capable of doing what when you issue them with permission to get a gun?

This stuff doesn’t happen much out here. I grew up in the Los Angeles Area and was a teenager in about 1987 when a series of freeway shootings occurred. I can tell you I’ve driven in numerous places throughout this great land and while traffic may be heavy, the drivers in Los Angeles are some of the most polite and considerate you’ll find. We use and honor turn signals. We keep a reasonable distance. We don’t honk horns. We don’t weave back and forth cutting people off.
Why? Because your ass could get shot pulling that shit.
Take a look at Australia – a bunch of pissed off people beating the shit out of other pissed off people. That doesn’t happen here. First, you get out of a car to go beat on someone here there is a strong possibility that you’ll get a cap in your face as soon as you get to the driver’s side door.
Secondly, we seek to AVOID driving like assholes and setting people off. We don’t accidentally cut people off in traffic. We pay attention. We use mirrors. We merge safely. We wait a turn. If we want to exit the 22 eastbound at Magnolia but we are in the third lane from the right then, by golly, we’ll just go ahead and exit a mile later at Brookhurst after smooth lane changes. Why? Because that person we cut off just may decide to teach us to slow down by putting a round through a radiator. Hope you get there on time.
It’s the essence of a polite society. We seek to do our best to avoid confrontation. The turn signal is a symbol not only of our intention to move over a lane but to let that other driver that we are not cutting in. We don’t honk our horns in anger – a little toot will do to say, “The light is green, sir.”
If people were packing in Australia, I suspect a lot of pissed off psychos would suddenly exercise remarkable restraint of emotion. The Wild West wasn’t in truth so wild, for an armed society is a polite society.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

+1 on your last sentence.

The rest of your post about driving in So. Cal. I'm not so sure about. :S The same crap that occurs everywhere else happens there, too. The drivers there aren't any more polite, and don't use blinkers any more than anywhere else. Oblivious drivers are EVERYWHERE. [:/]

You may drive like that (and I thank you), but the rest.....?

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Have fun guys.

I still find it funny how people want to take "skydivers' and act like the group is any more or less special than just any other cross section of people. It's clearly a need by some to 'feel' like they are special and, therefore, they imagine that any group they belong to must be.

"I'm a skydiver, I'm better than others"
"I have (this job), I'm better than others"
"My skin is this (color), we're better than others"

etc
etc
etc

so, convince me that any of these are really meaningful. But if it's just a choice of hobby, or a cosmetic item, I doubt you will.

but those statements do tell one a bit more about the individual that makes the claim

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

...the drivers in Los Angeles are some of the most polite and considerate you’ll find. We use and honor turn signals. We keep a reasonable distance. We don’t honk horns. We don’t weave back and forth cutting people off.
Why? Because your ass could get shot pulling that shit.

I grew up in Canada; "politeness" is just part of the culture there, and I can assure you it never occurred to anyone that they could get their ass shot for behaving like an asshole. It really is a major condemnation of American society, a real insult, to suggest that Americans need the threat of being shot to force them to treat one another respectfully.

It also has not been my experience that Americans in general would behave in an assholish manner if it were not for the threat posed by guns. Almost all the Americans I know are quite decent people. Whatever the merits of firearms may be with regard to personal defense, the argument that they are necessary for a polite society is bogus and insulting, IMHO.

The Wild West wasn’t in truth so wild, for an armed society is a polite society.

Tombstone Arizona is famous in the literature of the wild west as the epitome of the shoot-em-up gunslinger's mentality. In reality, visitors had to check in at the sheriff's office, and leave their guns there while they were in town. I guess Wyatt Earp never heard of the 2nd amendment.

Don

Take a look at Australia – a bunch of pissed off people beating the shit out of other pissed off people. That doesn’t happen here. First, you get out of a car to go beat on someone here there is a strong possibility that you’ll get a cap in your face as soon as you get to the driver’s side door.

That is exactly what happened here in the Birmingham, AL area several years ago. Two females engaged in a case of road rage. Some redneck lady in an older car was being tailgated by another lady in an upscale SUV flashing her high beams, and the redneck was waving a tire iron through the sun roof. :S

She pulls off at the exit ramp and comes to a stop with the SUV right behind. Redneck lady jumps out and gets up to the SUV's drivers side window screaming and BLAM! Got a slug right in the face. She dropped dead right there on the spot.

SUV lady is spending I think 7 years or so in prison. She was from a nice well-to-do family. You just never know with some people. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That is exactly what happened here in the Birmingham, AL area several years ago. Two females engaged in a case of road rage. Some redneck lady in an older car was being tailgated by another lady in an upscale SUV flashing her high beams, and the redneck was waving a tire iron through the sun roof. :S

She pulls off at the exit ramp and comes to a stop with the SUV right behind. Redneck lady jumps out and gets up to the SUV's drivers side window screaming and BLAM! Got a slug right in the face. She dropped dead right there on the spot.

SUV lady is spending I think 7 years or so in prison. She was from a nice well-to-do family. You just never know with some people. [:/]

you would have thought being attacked with a tire iron would constitute self-defense...

The aggressor cannot claim self defense, so in the case it might have been proven that she did not pull over to "avoid the conflict" she pulled over to escalate things.

Here in Louisiana your car is an extension of you home, and homicide is justifiable if someone attempts to enter your car forcefully if you are in it.

Do they have this in AL? Would be interesting to find out if they do, how they came about not justifying her shooting.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

The aggressor cannot claim self defense, so in the case it might have been proven that she did not pull over to "avoid the conflict" she pulled over to escalate things.

Here in Louisiana your car is an extension of you home, and homicide is justifiable if someone attempts to enter your car forcefully if you are in it.

Do they have this in AL? Would be interesting to find out if they do, how they came about not justifying her shooting.

She made the conscious decision to stop her car directly behind the redneck lady's car, and made the conscious decision to roll her window down and shoot. She had ample opportunities to avoid the confrontation. That is why she is in prison for murder.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

She made the conscious decision to stop her car directly behind the redneck lady's car, and made the conscious decision to roll her window down and shoot. She had ample opportunities to avoid the confrontation. That is why she is in prison for murder.

you can google this. seems like the woman was unarmed. but also they stopped because of a red light, didn't pull over. The prosecutor claimed the woman should have pulled over earlier on the side of the road to get away from the one in front. Sounds like she was railroaded.

you can google this. seems like the woman was unarmed. but also they stopped because of a red light, didn't pull over. The prosecutor claimed the woman should have pulled over earlier on the side of the road to get away from the one in front. Sounds like she was railroaded.

I recited the best I could from memory, so the facts may not be accurate, but its about what I remember. If it was a red light (actually, several of the exit ramps down that area have traffic lights), then yeah, she got herself cornered. If maybe she hadn't panicked and shot the redneck, just showed the gun and told her to back off or she'd shoot, who knows, maybe the redneck lady would have called it a day and moved on.

It's still a tragic outcome however you look at it.

Now we have a new tragic shooting in the news, with a church minister shooting his wife to death and wounding his daughter. She fought back and wrested the gun away and ran next door bleeding. When police arrived, they found him stabbing himself with a knife and had to physically restrain him. [:/]

Not really railroaded. Despite what some that post here seem to believe, any acts of aggression will do serious damage to a claim of self defense. By "tailgating and flashing her high beams" (according to BillyVance) she was an active participant in the road rage.
She could have backed off. She could have turned off or gone ahead instead of following the car down the ramp. She could have done any number of things to end the situation.
Which makes the shooting a case of voluntary manslaughter, not self defense.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Not really railroaded. Despite what some that post here seem to believe, any acts of aggression will do serious damage to a claim of self defense. By "tailgating and flashing her high beams" (according to BillyVance) she was an active participant in the road rage.
She could have backed off. She could have turned off or gone ahead instead of following the car down the ramp. She could have done any number of things to end the situation.
Which makes the shooting a case of voluntary manslaughter, not self defense.

doesn't sound like tailgating to me. Here is her story

Henson doesn't think she lost control, she said. "I was just so scared. I didn't know how to react. I didn't know what to do."

Henson was returning home from work driving her SUV on I-65, just south of Birmingham. In the car ahead of her was Foster. Suddenly Foster slammed on the brakes of her Pontiac, Henson said.

"I guess she was mad because I was a car length behind her," Henson recalled.

Over the next several miles, Foster became increasingly agitated, according to Henson; she threw a plastic bottle out of her window and brandished what Henson believed was a weapon.
"I turned on my high beams for a second, and she was shooting the bird," Henson added. "I thought, you know, 'She's crazy; she wants me to hit her car.'"

The women took the same exit. When they reached a traffic light, Foster - still in front - stopped her car, got out and headed for Henson.

"I don't remember thinking anything except that she was coming at me," Henson said, adding she believed Foster was going to try to kill her.

Foster didn't run full speed, but she got out of the car and covered the distance in a hurry, recalled witness Jim Hardy, who watched from his car. "She was screaming," Hardy said. "She was furious."

John Farmer also watched. "Ms. Foster got ouof her vehicle," he recalled. "I wouldn't say she was yelling or screaming, but she was talking in a loud tone of voice."

"I knew she was mad; I knew she was crazy," Henson declared. "And I had seconds to do something to protect myself."

Henson reached into the car console for the licensed revolver that she has carried since a stalking incident years ago.

"I looked up, and she was there; her face was in the window," Henson said. "She was so mad," she added, crying. "She said, 'You need to quit riding somebody's ---, you ------ -----!'"

"She kind of leaned back for a second and then thrust her head toward me, lunged at me," Henson recalled. "She spit on my face. And the next thing I knew the gun went off. It just popped," she said, crying. "Then she was gone."

Struck by a single bullet to the face, Gena Foster was killed instantly. Henson didn't think she had any other choice, she said. "I was going to protect myself if I had to."

Moments later, a hysterical Henson called 911. Investigators at the scene called the shooting road rage.

"It appears to be road rage," District Attorney Robby Owens said. "One woman cut another woman off on the highway."

That night, Henson was arrested and charged with Foster's death. "I was so shocked that they thought that I was the one with road rage," she said. "Anger was not a reaction that I felt at all."

But the district attorney insisted Henson was mad: "She was frustrated that this woman would not get out of her way and then escalated it to the point where she pulled out a gun and shot her in the face."
Nearly a year later, Henson was slated to stand trial. She had the distinction of being the first woman in the country charged with murder in a road rage crime.

The victim's mother portrayed the slain motorist as "a sharing, caring person individual." Mother Pat Newell added that Foster was also "a kind person but feisty."

But Henson's defense attorney, David Johnson, insisted that Foster was not the woman that her family makes her out to be. "They're trying to say that Gena Foster was a nice, sweet, lovely woman who never ad any problems in her life." That's hardly the case, he argued. "She has a reputation for being violent and turbulent."

Could Foster have been the aggressor that night? Was Henson simply defending herself?

"She may have been facing a short woman with a big mouth," Newell insisted. "That does not equate to shooting her in the head."

Foster's former husband, now caring for their three children, agreed: "If everybody was shot that had a little aggression, man, we'd be a rare species on this earth."

Henson faced 20 years to life imprisonment if convicted of murder. Her attorneys planned to argue at the trial that she acted in self defense. But the burden would really be on the prosecution to prove one of three things - that Henson started the incident on the highway, that she used excessive force, or that she could have avoided the confrontation.

Assistant District Attorney Randy Hillman maintained that Henson had other choices: to take her foot off the accelerator, put on her blinker or pull off to the shoulder of the road. "But she chose not to," he said.

"Every time I tried to open up space between us, she would close it up again," Henson argued. "Where are you going to go? What are you going to do?"

When asked about the confrontation on the exit ramp, Henson said she felt completely boxed in: unable to back up or pull around Foster's car.

And Henson said she made one last attempt to avoid Foster by rolling down her window to signal for help.

But District Attorney Robby Owens interpreted that move as provocation. "'I rolled down my window,' said the spider to the fly," he said. "If I were sitting there, and I was afraid, the last thing I would do is roll down my window."

Wouldn't it have been just as easy for Henson to grab her cell phone, roll up the window and call the police? "Well, it wouldn't have if she was coming back at me with a weapon, which is what I thought she was going to do," Henson said.

It turns out, however, Gena Foster was not armed.

"You can think now of all the things that I could have done," Henson said. "But I had seconds."

Was this a road rage murder or a case of a woman acting in self defense?
And what would be a fair and just conclusion to this tragedy?

"I'm perfectly willing to take a personal responsibility for what happened. But I don't think I broke any law," Henson said.

I still believe she was railroaded.

Well, that's her version of the story. She admits tailgating (one car length back) and flashing her high beams.
Everything else sounds like exactly what she would say no matter what the truth was.

That isn't to say that it didn't happen the way she said it did.
But it's pretty clear she had options to escape the situation and didn't. If she didn't know how self defense works, or how the laws are written and applied, then she shouldn't have been carrying a gun in the first place.

A point that was very strongly made and repeated numerous times in the carry classes I have taken, and in pretty much every serious article I have read, is that anyone claiming self defense must take every possible step to defuse or avoid the situation.
Or risk going to prison for a long time.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A point that was very strongly made and repeated numerous times in the carry classes I have taken, and in pretty much every serious article I have read, is that anyone claiming self defense must take every possible step to defuse or avoid the situation.

I strongly agree with this statement, as there is nothing that you can do that is more serious and more irreversible than taking someone's life.

It seems to me though that stand your ground laws negate this type of cautious thinking, as they remove the duty to de-escalate the situation. Also, Georgia (for one example) is a shall-issue state that does not require any training before issuing a carry permit. There is a background check, but no requirement that you demonstrate any knowledge of laws or proficiency. Smart people will get training anyway, of course. It's just not safe to assume a Georgian with a concealed weapon knows the law, or that they can hit the side of a barn.

Don

I strongly agree with this statement, as there is nothing that you can do that is more serious and more irreversible than taking someone's life.

It seems to me though that stand your ground laws negate this type of cautious thinking, as they remove the duty to de-escalate the situation. Also, Georgia (for one example) is a shall-issue state that does not require any training before issuing a carry permit. There is a background check, but no requirement that you demonstrate any knowledge of laws or proficiency. Smart people will get training anyway, of course. It's just not safe to assume a Georgian with a concealed weapon knows the law, or that they can hit the side of a barn.

Don

If a woman has the choice of either shooting the guy and killing him or sleeping with him and hoping by doing so he won't kill her, which would you recommend?

If a woman has the choice of either shooting the guy and killing him or sleeping with him and hoping by doing so he won't kill her, which would you recommend?

Not for the first time, I have no clue what you are talking about.

Don