SuperKat

3 NYPD cops shot today in 2 separate incidents within an hour.

3 Cops shot today in 2 separate incidents. One shot in the Bronx and 2 shot in Brooklyn. Cops are in stable condition.

http://cbsloc.al/Uknv7f

How can this be? New York has some of the strictest gun laws in the US. We all know that if you pass a law, then it can't happen. I can't wait to see what kind of asinine new law Bloomberg comes up with now. These people never learn and have no common sense.

Right because they would have been far safer if they had been unarmed.

Ironically that may actually be true. A cop gets shot because he is a threat to the life of the criminal. The criminal faces extreme punishment for shooting a cop, if that cop is not direct a danger to the criminal, the criminal may opt out of shooting the cop. That's why British police was not armed for so long and this was pretty successful.

Right because they would have been far safer if they had been unarmed.

Ironically that may actually be true. A cop gets shot because he is a threat to the life of the criminal. The criminal faces extreme punishment for shooting a cop, if that cop is not direct a danger to the criminal, the criminal may opt out of shooting the cop. That's why British police was not armed for so long and this was pretty successful.

This is a pretty wide generalizatin or, you are a mind reader of all criminals
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Of course it's a generalization and not appropriate for every situation. I just don't think the whole eye for an eye attitude will decrease violence. Why not look at places with less violence and see how they do things?

Of course it's a generalization and not appropriate for every situation. I just don't think the whole eye for an eye attitude will decrease violence. Why not look at places with less violence and see how they do things?

Again this is a generalization however

Where the population has been allowed easier acess to weapons, crime has decreased
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Why are the British Police armed now?

They aren't.

some are some are not. they have Armed Response teams. they also have protective details, swat teams etc. I'm speaking of the Metropolitan Police in London because i assume that is what you are speaking of. In my experience Americans say English and British to mean the exact same thing. I have no idea what goes on in the rural areas of England. Even less about Scotland and Wales. But again, i dont think that is what you meant by "British".

to be clear, i was speaking to my fellow American when making the assumption of what he meant by "British Police".
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

Jakee lives in the UK; you and GM live in the US. There are probably unarmed cops in the US, but I'll bet that no one thinks "cops in the US are unarmed" based on this small number.

So we can go with "cops in the UK are generally unarmed" and "cops in the US are generally armed," but that's probably not as satisfying, is it :|

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Why are the British Police armed now?

They aren't.

My bad, I thought some cops are now issued firearms.

Each police force in the UK has special armed units, but that's pretty much always been the case.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Jakee lives in the UK; you and GM live in the US. There are probably unarmed cops in the US, but I'll bet that no one thinks "cops in the US are unarmed" based on this small number.

So we can go with "cops in the UK are generally unarmed" and "cops in the US are generally armed," but that's probably not as satisfying, is it :|

Wendy P.

i like your point and agree. i only commented because both of them made such definitive statements and that irks me. like most things, its a little more complicated.
John Frusciante

Wendy P.

i like your point and agree. i only commented because both of them made such definitive statements and that irks me. like most things, its a little more complicated.

Just to set the record straight, I was asking a question to IBX, who lists his location as Germany. He made the original comment regarding "British Police".

Wendy P.

Just to set the record straight, I was asking a question to IBX, who lists his location as Germany. He made the original comment regarding "British Police".

Thanks, as i reread it does make your post more clear. It also makes mine seem a bit petty now. sorry for that.
John Frusciante

How can this be? COPs carry guns, and we know that carrying protects you from being a victim.

It can be... because you are advertizing to the criminal that you have a weapon. Which is why officers are also trained in weapon retention. But I'm sure you know that.
I'm sure you can see the difference in someone being armed and nobody knowing versus someone open carrying which makes them a potential target.

For instance I never leave a firing range without a loaded weapon because criminals have been known to go to ranges to acquire firearms by assaulting lawful gun owner since they cannot get the guns legally.

If you cannot see the logic in this than you have never tried to know your adversary. The armed guard at a bank is a deterrent to robbery but also tells the robber to bring his own guns (preferably more of them and better ones) and subdue the guard FIRST because he is a known threat. As opposed to the off duty officer who can position him or herself and wait for the right time to reveal that they are a threat.

If I have the element of surprise and the ability to set up the moment of contact then I have a formidable advantage and a much better chance at a positive outcome.

Please tell me at least that makes sense to you?
Trail mix? Oh, you mean M&M's with obstacles.

How can this be? COPs carry guns, and we know that carrying protects you from being a victim.

It can be... because you are advertizing to the criminal that you have a weapon. Which is why officers are also trained in weapon retention. But I'm sure you know that.
I'm sure you can see the difference in someone being armed and nobody knowing versus someone open carrying which makes them a potential target.

For instance I never leave a firing range without a loaded weapon because criminals have been known to go to ranges to acquire firearms by assaulting lawful gun owner since they cannot get the guns legally.

If you cannot see the logic in this than you have never tried to know your adversary. The armed guard at a bank is a deterrent to robbery but also tells the robber to bring his own guns (preferably more of them and better ones) and subdue the guard FIRST because he is a known threat. As opposed to the off duty officer who can position him or herself and wait for the right time to reveal that they are a threat.

If I have the element of surprise and the ability to set up the moment of contact then I have a formidable advantage and a much better chance at a positive outcome.

Please tell me at least that makes sense to you?

Ah so what you are saying, us that armed cops in schools is a stupid idea, because they would just be shot first. Got it. :S
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Ah so what you are saying, us that armed cops in schools is a stupid idea, because they would just be shot first. Got it. :S

Maybe not what he was saying, but in my opinion you are correct, an armed officer is not the answer. However teachers, janitors, principals ect.. who would like to have a concealed carry permit to protect themselves as well as their students should have that option. As well as students on college campuses, tecnical institutes or whatever as long as they obtain a CCW legally.
Jack of all trades.
Military Free Fall Jumpmaster.
USA Static-line Jumpmaster.