regulator

7 year old sued for ski accident

if i saw this whole thing, and saw some disgruntled old man shaking a 7 year old boy and screaming at him, id be going to jail for assault...............

I'm still amazed at the irony in these types of comments...

protect the boy, and no more. cowards that would shake a 7 year old would pretty much stop if you just slid up and inserted yourself into the confrontation

anything more, and you wouldn't be any better than that guy

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Maybe he slipped and busted his ass as the scared kid was trying to escape.

Or maybe the kid hit him at 25mph and then stood up and took off, hoping the guy wouldn't be able to get up at all. There's no way to know, and both sides sound like they're not being honest about what happened.

Maybe he slipped and busted his ass as the scared kid was trying to escape.

Maybe. Do you habitually "just know" that people are dickheads based on something they may or may not have done? Can you also read minds about other things too? That must be really cool. Hey, maybe you could be a "professional jury"; no need for testimony, evidence, all that time-and-money-wasting BS. Just ask Muff, he always knows exactly what happened. You could save the judicial system a fortune! Get rich too, just charge 10% of the cost of a full trial for your services. You get paid, the courts save money, everybody's happy, right? Well, except maybe the guy on trial, but who gives a shit about him. If somebody says he's guilty, maybe puts something on the internet, well then it's a foregone conclusion, right?

Any response to Bill's point that the family could have had the guy charged with assault, if their story is true?

Don

I don't know either way. Neither do you. (<--BTW, this is the point of all of my posts in this thread). I was simply offering a plausible theory for the question you asked, i.e.: "...how do we reconcile the injury with the alleged behavior?....". Also, I agree with Bill that if the kid was assaulted the guy should have been arrested and charged.

I like your "professional jury" idea ...but only if I can be it. Sort of a one-man "Star Chamber". I like it.

>Maybe he slipped and busted his ass as the scared kid was trying to escape.

Or maybe the kid hit him at 25mph and then stood up and took off, hoping the guy wouldn't be able to get up at all. There's no way to know, and both sides sound like they're not being honest about what happened.

Yes, maybe that happened.

Sounds to me like ski-slope rage, similar to road rage. I've seen it at DZs, more than once, when people get cut off in the pattern, and I've seen it at the ski slope, too. Most people drive, and few people have never acted out some anger at another driver. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

As to professional juries, it's a bad idea. You can always have a judge-only trial, if both sides agree. Judges are corruptible, and they have vested interests that are beholden to others. So, too, would professional juries. Juries comprised of lay citizens are a hallmark of democracy, for they act as one of the buffers democracies have against tyrannical governments.

Sounds to me like ski-slope rage, similar to road rage. I've seen it at DZs, more than once, when people get cut off in the pattern, and I've seen it at the ski slope, too. Most people drive, and few people have never acted out some anger at another driver. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Check-out lines at Wal-Mart, too.

As to professional juries, it's a bad idea. ....

Only if it's not me. I would be fair ...kinda like a Sicilian Solomon.

This is the "dickhead" part:

"As Scott stood up and tried to apologize, the man grabbed Scott and threatened to sue him and his whole family"

Don, this is what I picked up on when I read the original story and didn't really pay attention to all the details. If that's what the guy did, well fuck him. I'm not going back and reading the original story all over again, but if his insurance company told him to sue, then that's just sad.

I spent my college years in Rochester, NY and skied at most of the major NY state ski resorts as well as a CA resort, and could handle the black diamond slopes with ease, but generally stayed away from the doubles, so I do have a general idea of common sense with right of ways on the slopes. I made sure to give others a wide berth. I have crashed quite a few times but not from trying to avoid collisions with others, and broken ski boots, poles, etc but never suffered an injury. Then again, I was in my early 20s. I'm sure if I got back into it at 45, those same crashes would leave me a broken heap. :P

Maybe I jumped to conclusions, sure is easy for anybody to do just from reading a post, isn't it?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Maybe I jumped to conclusions, sure is easy for anybody to do just from reading a post, isn't it?

I'm sure we all (me included) do it from time to time.

I used to ski some, though never the black diamond slopes, except once by accident. A few years ago I was in Taos for a conference, and tacked a day onto the trip to spend at the ski resort there. I tried parabolic skis for the first time, and was amazed at how much easier they made the whole thing.

Hope you have a great year.

Don

Can you explain to someone who wakeboards and water ski's regularly but lives in an area where it doesnt get cold enough for snow the difference between standard and parabolic skis?

standard = old school straight skis, like black-n-white movies old

parabolic or shaped skis = tapered, the center of the ski is narrower than the tip and tail, all different combinations of taper

when you tilt your boot to the side, the tip and tail engage the snow and start the turn
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Parabolic skis have edges that are very slightly curved, so they are slightly wider near the front and back than they are in the middle where your boot attaches. When you put pressure on the edges (lean right or left), the edge grabs the snow and the ski turns easily, as it is following the edge of a circle. Standard skis have parallel sides, you also turn by shifting your weight to one edge or the other, but it takes more effort to make them turn. I also noticed that the parabolic skis were much less likely to get caught in the track left in the snow by a previous skier, though I don't know why.

I haven't skied since that trip, which now that I think about it was several (like 7 or 8) years ago, so I don't know if such skis are the norm now, or if they are regarded as "training wheels". I just know that within an hour or so of practice I was able to handle anything up to (not including) the black diamond runs, despite not having been on skis for 15 years or more.

Don

I had my own skis and equipment in college, and they were the straight kind. I moved back to Alabama after college and didn't make an effort to go skiing anywhere as there wasn't any resorts close by that would keep me entertained all day. Fast forward 10 years, I visited my brother in CA and he took me to Kirkwood. It was awesome. I tried the parabolic skis and picked my skills up so much faster that I rented a pair rather than use my old skis that I brought. Haven't skied since that one trip 14 years ago. [:/]

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Fast forward 10 years,..... I tried the parabolic skis and picked my skills up so much faster that I rented a pair rather than use my old skis

Similar story. It ended with me taking my straight skis to a used sports equipment store. I got maybe 3 steps inside when the guy at the counter looked at my old (top of line - previously) skis and just said "don't bother, nobody will want those now".

You know you got old when nobody even wants your old sports gear.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Fast forward 10 years,..... I tried the parabolic skis and picked my skills up so much faster that I rented a pair rather than use my old skis

Similar story. It ended with me taking my straight skis to a used sports equipment store. I got maybe 3 steps inside when the guy at the counter looked at my old (top of line - previously) skis and just said "don't bother, nobody will want those now".

You know you got old when nobody even wants your old sports gear.

I just took my old Rollerblades to Goodwill. [:/]

Having a hard time believing this. Colorado has some of the toughest frivolous lawsuit laws in the country. The ski industry is too big out there. The back of your ticket is your waiver. Read one. It basically says you accept any and ALL risk when you buy this ticket and ski on our hills. They don't even make it to court. And how did he get his name and address? Makes ya wonder.....