Fast

Gun Database Online?

http://fox6now.com/2012/12/26/newspaper-sparks-outrage-for-publishing-names-addresses-of-gun-permit-holders/

Newspaper sparks outrage for publishing names, addresses of gun permit holders

Posted on: 10:28 am, December 26, 2012, by Trisha Bee

(CNN) — An interactive map showing the names and addresses of all handgun permit holders in New York’s Westchester and Rockland counties has infuriated many readers since it was posted Saturday on a newspaper’s website.
The map, published by The Journal News, allows readers to zoom in on red dots that indicate which residents are licensed to own pistols or revolvers. It had prompted more than 1,700 comments as of Wednesday morning.
Blue dots indicate permit holders who “have purchased a firearm or updated the information on a permit in the past five years.”

“So should we start wearing yellow Stars of David so the general public can be aware of who we are??” one commenter wrote.

“This is crazy!” wrote another.

Some of those responding threatened to cancel their subscriptions or boycott the publication.

“I hope you lose readers now,” one wrote.

But the newspaper says it wanted to publish even more information.

“We were surprised when we weren’t able to obtain information on what kinds and how many weapons people in our market own,” Michael Meaney, morning local editor, said in a statement.

County clerks’ offices had told the paper that “the public does not have the right to see specific permits an individual has been issued, the types of handguns a person possesses or the number of guns he or she owns,” Meaney wrote. “Had we been able to obtain those records, we would have published them.”

The map came about in the wake of the massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, The Journal News said.
“In the past week, conversation on our opinion pages and on our website, LoHud.com, has been keenly focused on gun control,” the newspaper’s editor and vice president, CynDee Royle, said in a statement Tuesday.

The names and addresses of the two counties’ permit-holding residents were obtained through the Freedom of Information Act. The website notes that the map does not indicate whether the residents own handguns, only that they are legally able to, and that the data do not pertain to rifles or shotguns, which can be bought without a permit.

Still, hundreds of residents were shocked to see their information posted without their being notified. Some said the map would prompt burglaries because thieves are now aware of where weapons might be found.

“Now everyone knows where the legal guns are kept, a valuable piece of information for criminals,” a commenter wrote. “Why don’t you do something helpful, like trying to find out where the illegal guns are kept?”

A commenter on CNN.com supported the newspaper’s decision, writing, “If you’re a gun owner it’s a matter of public record. If you’re embarrassed by your gun, get rid of it. I have a car and a house – they’re no secret. People contact me all the time trying to sell me stuff. I don’t expect a right to privacy for these things.”

Another wrote, “Every gun manufactured, transferred, and sold should be on the internet, all on one website, including date of purchase, current owner, stored location, and gun license number.”

The Journal News argued that residents have a right to access information regarding weapon holders in Westchester and Rockland communities.

“Our readers are understandably interested to know about guns in their neighborhoods,” Royle said in her statement.
“We knew publication of the database would be controversial but we felt sharing as much information as we could about gun ownership in our area was important in the aftermath of the Newtown shootings,” she said.

In an article about the uproar, The Journal News says many of the thousands of people who “have taken to their computers and phones in rage” live outside the counties covered by the map.

In searching through hundreds of comments listed on the website, CNN did not immediately see any in support of the newspaper’s decision to publish the interactive map.

The Journal News said it published an article in 2006 that received similar responses, but this time around, social media spread the story far and wide.

In 2007, roanoke.com, the website of The Roanoke Times, published a list of Virginians licensed to carry concealed weapons, and then deleted it the next day. The paper explained that the list, originally published as part of an opinion column, was removed “out of concern that it might include names that should not have been made public.”

The Poynter Institute, a school for journalists, notes that some other news agencies have published various types of databases as well.

“Publishing gun owners’ names makes them targets for theft or public ridicule. It is journalistic arrogance to abuse public record privilege, just as it is to air 911 calls for no reason or to publish the home addresses of police or judges without cause,” Al Tompkins, a Poynter senior faculty member, said in a statement Wednesday. “Unwarranted publishing of the names of permitted owners just encourages gun owners to skip the permitting.”

Royle and Meaney could not be reached immediately for further comment Wednesday.

Your thoughts?
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

and in response, the names addresses and phone numbers of the columnist who wrote the article, president of the paper, editors of the paper, and CEO of the parent company have also been published online.

I wonder whose lawyers will win. Oh wait... the lawyers always win, and the clients always lose.
--
Rob

But but but...

Having guns in the home is claimed to DETER criminals.

Gun owners need to make up their minds what their story is.

don't be a total jackass... even your warped sense of right should see this is an irresponsible act.
--
Rob

The newspaper put the whole community at risk, gun owners and non-gun owners. Now criminals can target homes where they won't be met with lethal force if they choose.

And they can also target the homes where they can find guns to steal.
Remember AggieDave sometime back telling us the majority of burglaries are during the day...when the occupants are off at work?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Now criminals can target homes where they won't be met with lethal force if they choose.

Correct. In Westchester county, you must egress unless you're block in _AND_ you're life is in danger. Their concept of the Castle Doctrine, isn't. Plus, (I live in Westchester), my area has steady break-ins because most two-parent families work, and we live next to a major thorough fare that makes it easy to get in/out fast. Could not believe the Journal News published that information. It's a crappy paper looking for some readership.
We are all engines of karma

But but but...

Claim? Why would you say claim? We have laws against political assassination and bank robbery but those people and our money are protected by guns? If you don't think information can be dangerous then you really are lost. Hey lets post the drop off and pick up times of armored cars too. People want to know and it is our right to know.

I've heard this list compared to sex offenders, except sex offenders BROKE THE LAW. These people went through the trouble to get a CCW legally. The homes that I would like to see are the owners of illegal firearms. Oh wait the people who have guns illegally (criminals) don't care about the law. If you think gun laws are going to stop a person intent on killing as many people as humanly possible why don't you try defending yourself against a wild animal with a law. These people are killers who have already decided that they don't care about the consequences. I respect everyone's opinion and their right to have it, but if you can't see the logic in this then you are no longer learning or being rational. "Hell is the impossibility of reason."

Lastly, The element of surprise is a formidable advantage in combat or any life threatening situation. I'd prefer a burglar or thief or rapist to have no idea what is in my home until confronted with it. If they know what is in the home then then come more heavily armed and with more people. You obviously have no tactical knowledge whatsoever or are simply ignoring the blaring facts in order to push your agenda.
Trail mix? Oh, you mean M&M's with obstacles.

We have laws against political assassination and bank robbery but those people and our money are protected by guns?

Only as an absolute last resort. The first line of defence is making it extremely difficult to get to the political leader or the money in the bank.

There are many banks with no guns in them at all. Generally bankrobberies are reduced, not by adding more guns, but by making it much more difficult to get to it and by making it much more difficult to use it, if you do get to it.

But but but...

don't be a total jackass... even your warped sense of right should see this is an irresponsible act.

SO are guns in the home a deterrent to criminals, or an invitation to criminals? Inquiring minds want to know.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Both.

Matt

Apparently you have a lot in common with the Queen of Hearts.

“Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying,' she said. 'One can't believe impossible things.'

I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
"

SO are guns in the home a deterrent to criminals, or an invitation to criminals? Inquiring minds want to know.

In South Africa they are an invitation. Criminals target areas they consider "gun rich" like farms, etc.

In the vast majority of cases the owners are killed, and their firearms stolen.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/blog-turns-tables-on-gun-map-paper-85520.html?ml=la

A blogger who retaliated against a New York newspaper that came under fire for identifying people with gun licenses in its circulation area explained on Thursday why he published the names and home addresses of the paper’s employees.

“Well, I just thought they were being hypocrites,” said Christopher Fountain on CNN’s “Early Start.” “In the aftermath of Newtown, it was obviously one tragedy, but somehow they were conflating legal gun owners with some crazed tormented devil up in Newtown and putting the two together. And I was offended by that and I wondered how they would like it if their addresses were published.”

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I answered your question with out any "fluff", apparently you do not like that.

Of course, the question has been answered a few times with much more detail already.

Matt

Your answer was useful, in that it illustrated the willingness of many gun owners to speak out of both sides of their mouths.

Of course, the question has been answered a few times with much more detail already.

Matt

Your answer was useful, in that it illustrated the willingness of many gun owners to speak out of both sides of their mouths.

the irony meter goes nuclear
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Why do you find it a constant need to insult people here?

The answer was Both, and it was explained as to why.

Let me recap: It places gun and none gun owners at risk as it did some of the leg work for Robbers/Home invaders. They Now know which homes have a "low threat" to their criminal activity. Making none gun owners now at a higher personal risk.

They, also, know which homes to case longer, pattern and rob (when the gun owning home owner is not present) and try and steal the usual items, and of course now firearms from, to use in more criminal activity.

Plus, the posting of the list was clearly an act of intimidation by the paper, sure they tried to water it down in their statement, but that is what it is.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Why do you find it a constant need to insult people here?

The answer was Both, and it was explained as to why.

Let me recap: It places gun and none gun owners at risk as it did some of the leg work for Robbers/Home invaders. They Now know which homes have a "low threat" to their criminal activity. Making none gun owners now at a higher personal risk.

They, also, know which homes to case longer, pattern and rob (when the gun owning home owner is not present) and try and steal the usual items, and of course now firearms from, to use in more criminal activity.

Plus, the posting of the list was clearly an act of intimidation by the paper, sure they tried to water it down in their statement, but that is what it is.

Matt

It is well established that guns are a favorite target of burglars. Having a gun in your house is NOT a deterrent to burglars. It is an invitation.

A gun in the house is more likely to (a) be used against family member or friend, or (b) be stolen and thereby fall into the hands of criminals, than (c) be used against a home invader.

Matt

Well no one wishes to speak lopsided dear heart.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca