steve1

Stopping School Shootings

I don't know all the facts, but if he had that bad of an issue, and it appears so, then no she was not very responsible. Maybe she did take precautions we don't know about, but that is still speculation based, like this conversation.

I am not one opposed to being responsible, but I will oppose a outright ban out of fear.

One should be educated in what weapons they own and operate. They should also have them positively controlled at all times, so that there is little chance of the wrong, or irresponsible, hands getting control of them.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Yes, it's called in a holster, on your hip, under your jacket. Not in the desk drawer, a purse or a locker. If you have a situation where it is needed, you don't have time to wander off to get it.

Do you work in a school have you ever worked in a school? Looking for the perspective of someone who would actually be in charge of having to wear a holster 100% of their working day in.....ducking K-12.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I don't know all the facts, but if he had that bad of an issue, and it appears so, then no she was not very responsible. Maybe she did take precautions we don't know about, but that is still speculation based, like this conversation.

I am not one opposed to being responsible, but I will oppose a outright ban out of fear.

One should be educated in what weapons they own and operate. They should also have them positively controlled at all times, so that there is little chance of the wrong, or irresponsible, hands getting control of them.

Matt

Family friends have reported that she taught him to shoot.

Personally, I keep my guns safe. In fact they're at my ex- cop friends house because I have no way of securing them in my own. I'm not a gun nut but I do target shoot and hunt. I can't fucking stand irresponsible gun owners.

What happened to the formatting there?

I have not read the shooting instruction part. Maybe it was a misguided attempt at including him in her activities. Most parent will deny their mentally unstable child can't be a normal part of society, even after acknowledgement of the issue.

So, it would appear she was irresponsible, She paid for that just like the 26 others sadly.

It also appears we found the fault, and the failure, and it wasn't a firearm.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Yeah she was a "gun nut", not that it's a bad thing, and he shot her in the face. She failed to keep her guns safe from criminal use and this massacre was the result. I take what people see as the liberal view because if we as gun owners cannot fix the problem IN A METHOD THAT IS ACCEPTABLE TO THE VOTING MAJORITY, then the decision will be made FOR us.

I have not read the shooting instruction part. Maybe it was a misguided attempt at including him in her activities. Most parent will deny their mentally unstable child can't be a normal part of society, even after acknowledgement of the issue.

There is no evidence that I have seen in any of the reporting that Adam Lanza was involved in even a single violent episode or incident before this school shooting. He was pathologically "shy", forming no friendships and having a difficult time relating to people, which has suggested an armchair diagnosis of autism/Asbergers to many, though I haven't heard that he was officially diagnosed with either condition. He was also an exceptional student, completing university courses in computer programming at the age of 16, which is also consistent with Asberger's syndrome. Many people with Asberger's are exceptionally intelligent, often very successful in careers that require a lot of specialized training (engineering, computer science, veterinary medicine, etc), though they all have difficulty reading social cues (facial expressions, body language) and they have a hard time forming close relationships with other people.

So (up until Sandy Hook) we have a kid/young man with no history of violence, a high intelligence, but extreme difficulty interacting with people. What in that precludes participating with a parent in what is described in the thread on the Swiss as a "wholesome family activity"? Should parents have to apply some "social skills test" to their kids before teaching them how to use guns? "I'm sorry little Johnny but you don't seem to have many friends, so I don't think firearms are for you, but your sister has lots of friends so I'll take her to the firing range instead".

It's easy to say Mrs. Lanza was "misguided", but only in hindsight I think (based on everything that has been reported so far). Or course it's always easy to blame "bad parenting" for these things, but no-one is able to predict with complete accuracy everything their kids may choose to do down the road. If I have some activity I really enjoy, I'll want to include my kids in that, unless I have good reason to believe they aren't capable of handling that activity responsibly (such as a history of violence).

Do you favor people having to pass a "social skills test" before being allowed to use firearms, even under parental supervision?

Don