loch1957

My view on firearms

I know we all see posts for and against firearms. We have one side that defends them to their last breath and the other side sees them as vile evil tools that have no place in civilized society. So whats the answer, do we ban them or just make it hard to purchase them? In most cases banning and/or registration has not worked. By not working I mean violent crime as a rule went up not down as expected. First I am a gun owner. I will list a few things as I see them, feel free to disagree.

Myths

1~ We do not need firearms, that protecting us is a police job.

While I agree that the police at large do a good job, they simply can not protect us from a crazed person intent on harming us. Its not a matter of them not trying but no one can respond fast enough as a rule to stop every crime. Lets look at the recent elementary school shooting, the shooter still killed many people before the police arrived. Now I was not there but I'm sure the first responders did not stop for donuts. That should tell most people that they can not in every situation protect us. Its simply not possible to go from point A to point B in time to prevent every violent crime. Not to mention that no police officer is required by law to risk his or her life trying to save ours. The ones that do risk it are heroes.

2~Ban all assault weapons.

Probably the most common knee jerk response to any shooting. To those not experienced with rifles lets discuss this a bit. Theres a big gap in what exactly an assault weapon actually is. For this discussion an assault weapon is defined as a high capacity magazine fed weapon capable of either full auto or burst fire. An example is a M-16 which most of us know. However the AR-15 at Bass Pro Shop does not fit that definition. It does have a high capacity magazine but is not capable of selective fire. They may look similar and fire a similar round but are not the same weapon.

3~Only assault weapons can kill a lot of people quickly.

While there is truth that an assault weapon can fire a lot of rounds at a given target, that does not always relate to more deaths. At very close range they are very effective but increase the range and you lose most of that advantage. Case in point the German army in WW2, in the early years they had a distinct advantage over the allied forces. Not because they had a faster rate of fire but had learned to exploit the benefits and avoid the weakness of full auto weapons.

4~Hunting weapons are less dangerous.

In this case the statement is 100% wrong. Look at any hunter or ask one, they do not carry AR15's or AK47's to hunt elk on a mountain in Wyoming. Both weapons are capable of killing a man or an elk but they are not suited to the task. In terms of fire power they are both woefully inadequate in terms of stopping power. I personally own a Weatherby Vanguard in 270, it came from the factory with a target that had been test fired with 3 shots at 100 yards. All 3 could be covered by a dime. The built in accuracy of a hunting weapon is vastly superior to any assault weapon. Common sense tell us that a person can do far more damage by hitting a target every shot than by just spraying lead and hoping he hits a target.

5~Banning all firearms will keep them out of criminals hands.

If criminals observed the law there would be no crime. Drugs are banned yet there does seem to be a drug problem. Murder,rape,robbery,kidnapping just to name a few are all illegal but still happen. Are we as a society so naive and blind that any one of us can actually believe that if weapons were outlawed that no one could get them?

I do not know an answer to the firearm question. There are more than enough laws in effect now that are not widely used. I honestly do not think banning will work, it never has before. I for one take comfort in knowing if I had too that I can defend myself and my family right now.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

> Ban all assault weapons??

Were does one go to purchase said Assault Weapon? I have several guns, knives, some PVC pipe, shovel, mop and broom sticks amoung other things but they don't come with such labels. Although any of the above can be used to assualt an individual.

Just thinking out loud...does the military have assault weapons? The term I believe began being used in the 1990's by a political party opposed to the Second Amendment, purely to advance a particular political agenda.

I thought it started in the early 80's in response to a .22 cal revolver incident.

I'll have to do some digging to see if in fact it was early 1980's. I remember the 1990's because that is when the big push to ban rifles with large capacity magizines was being discussed which resulted in a Ban on such weapons in 1994.

I have this issue with the Liberals that the first thing out of their months is to Ban "Assault Weapons". Where in the hell have they been for the past year.

Chicago has been averaging more murders than Newtown every month this year. Currently I think the rate is roughly 41 murders per month and is expected to reach a total of 500 this year alone. The majority of these killings are taking place in poor black neighborhoods.

Not a word from Reverend Jackson or Sharpton, nor have we heared anything from the anti-gun media that we're starting to hear from now. There has to be a reason, and its purly political. Not a word, as long as its Black on Black crime.

Well, there's a nice impartial post. Clearly you have no agenda.

A view needs no agenda to exist. You could actually contribute to the thread instead of assuming there is an agenda. The post is biased towards firearm ownership, that I do agree with.

If you disagree with parts of the post then which part? Why do you disagree? Do you have an answer to the problem?
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

Not a word from Reverend Jackson or Sharpton, nor have we heared anything from the anti-gun media that we're starting to hear from now. There has to be a reason, and its purly political. Not a word, as long as its Black on Black crime.

I think it has more to do with the fact that many of those shootings are between gangs, or between two criminals. They simply are not seen the same way as 20 children aged 6 and 7 while at school.

I can't think of anyone who gives a rat's ass on your view on firearms. Truth is criminals have the stolen weapons that they slaughter people with. What does this possibly have to do with responsible citizens who own & responsibly own whatever firearms they choose?
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I think it has more to do with the fact that many of those shootings are between gangs, or between two criminals. They simply are not seen the same way as 20 children aged 6 and 7 while at school.

Not entirety correct. There are many cases of innocent children killed in chicago whos only crime is having a parent to poor to move out of the hood. The 2/3rd rule is still in effect. [:/]

Are you done now?

For now,as long as you keep your remarks that have no bearing on how things are going to really turn out, I'm good. Research my profile and you'll see for your self I rarely respond to any of the idiots on this site. ie & regarding yourself. What, are you 10?
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

A little article called the "First Amendment" O ye of little backbone. Get a thicker skin JACK!

Your response doesn't make any sense. I didn't tell you to not read or not to say anything. If you don't care what he had to say then why bother to read it?