gregpso

How do you live like this

You could be a at your DZ and some wacko gets banned from AFF goes to his vehicle and gets out an assault rifle and lets rip or you go to a theme park and some wacko does not like standing in line. produces a handgun. Or after minor traffic acccident etc

or sitting in a mc Donalds etc etc. If every one is armed as seems to be the case. it must be a worry.

Yeah we have some gun crime here but rare in comparison with the USA. Certainly not assault rifle stuff.(banned many years ago)

I suppose you folk just live with it and put it out of your mind as "a risk of life"

I can see the other point of view. I carry a handgun at work to protect Govt builings etc but I am not allowed to take it home or own another one for personal protection. If Off duty Police here carried weapons they could get involved in crime matters Off Duty but here its strictly forbidden.

A real dilema some say if teachers were armed they could stop School shootings whose knows.. very difficult.. both sides provide strong argument for and against.

After 11 years in Policing 2 yrs in prisons and 16
years PSO ing govt buildings I still do not know the answer. I am just very sad at another school shooting.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

You could be a at your DZ and some wacko gets banned from AFF goes to his vehicle and gets out an assault rifle and lets rip or you go to a theme park and some wacko does not like standing in line. produces a handgun. Or after minor traffic acccident etc

or sitting in a mc Donalds etc etc. If every one is armed as seems to be the case. it must be a worry.

Yeah we have some gun crime here but rare in comparison with the USA. Certainly not assault rifle stuff.(banned many years ago)

I suppose you folk just live with it and put it out of your mind as "a risk of life"

I can see the other point of view. I carry a handgun at work to protect Govt builings etc but I am not allowed to take it home or own another one for personal protection. If Off duty Police here carried weapons they could get involved in crime matters Off Duty but here its strictly forbidden.

A real dilema some say if teachers were armed they could stop School shootings whose knows.. very difficult.. both sides provide strong argument for and against.

years PSO ing govt buildings I still do not know the answer. I am just very sad at another school shooting.

Once teachers are known to be armed, who do you think will be the first target for a loony with a gun entering a classroom?

I am a teacher and I have no wish to set myself up as the primary target of a nutter with a gun.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Once teachers are known to be armed, who do you think will be the first target for a loony with a gun entering a classroom?

I am a teacher and I have no wish to set myself up as the primary target of a nutter with a gun.

Arming teachers just perpetuates an existing problem.

Ban guns.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Ban guns.

Banning guns won't work here. What is needed is to stop it being trivially easy for anyone, even a crazy person, to get a semi-auto weapon. We have a so-called background check that is so easy to circumvent it may as well not exist.

Ban guns.

Banning guns won't work here. What is needed is to stop it being trivially easy for anyone, even a crazy person, to get a semi-auto weapon. We have a so-called background check that is so easy to circumvent it may as well not exist.

I think a manned space mission to the nearest star would be easier to achieve than successfully banning guns in the USA...but what you describe is only part of the solution.

I have the honest belief that America needs to wake up and realise prolific ownership is the crux of the problem; along with ease of access (Hey - I know mums access codes to the weapon safe...or: Hey - I know Dad has a Sig 226 in the bedside drawer...) and the fact Hollywood macho gun influence has a stronger effect on an already gullible society than people care to admit.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Nope. But here's a hint. Part of the problem is our legal system. It allows too many violent criminals to commit too many aggressive crimes before they are evn locked up. Time after time we have violent criminals who commit another crime within days and sometime hours of being reeased. We need to be sure that someone has reformed and are no longer a threat before they are allowed to leave prison. And don't even get me started on the conditions of our prisons. They are run by the most violent of inmates. This is one of the reasons people buy guns. Until you start understanding this, you have nothing left but to think magically that somehow banning guns is a solution. I have news for you, it will never work until the societal issues are addressed. I am afarid we are too far down the road to turn back now. This is another reason people buy guns.

Your reactions so far are nothing but knee-jerk and will never attain the outcome you think they will. All they will do is serve to make our crie problem even worse than it is now.

it must be a worry.

It's really not. I mean, of course when things like this happen, we all go through a brief period of "what if?" but then realize that, statistically speaking, it's still really really unlikely that any of us will be directly in the line of that kind of violence.

But it's a natural reaction to have a more visceral, emotional reaction that doesn't match the statistical likelihood. It's just like we have a more visceral reaction to a commercial airline crash even though our likelihood of dying in an automobile accident is much, much higher.

For me, though, the remote threat of being a victim of random violence isn't enough to change a damn thing about the way I live my life. I'm not going to live in fear. I'm not going to be paranoid. I'm not going to start carrying.

Because I know that, day to day, the best thing I can do is to keep living my life. To stay abreast of issues in my own neighborhood, in my own city. To know my neighbors, to talk to them, to interact with them, to know that we're keeping an eye on each other and are all taking reasonable precautions to keep the building safe for everyone (making sure exterior doors close/lock behind us, not letting people we don't know into the building, etc.).

Life is inherently not safe. You can't make it perfectly safe, for anyone, anywhere, and in my opinion, what you lose by trying to bubble wrap life and take the risk out of it is significantly worse than accepting that sometimes, bad things happen to you or the people that you love because of that inherent risk in life.

[All this is not to say that I don't think we've got serious problems to solve in this country, but that I'm not going to cower at home while we figure it all out, either.]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

In theory.

Mass shootings like this are horrible but only news worthy because they're _exceedingly_ uncommon. Children under 19 are 80 times more likely to die in a traffic accident, 13 times more likely to drown, and 12 times more likely to be fatally poisoned than they are to be killed in a school shooting.

I don't worry about being a victim in one the same way I don't worry about other rare events like being killed by a mountain lion or piece of blue ice falling from a plane's toilet.

Most murders aren't mass murders and those aren't an issue for me as some one with an exceedingly low chance of being impoverished in a city with great economic disparity and none at all for risk factors like participation in youth gangs and the illegal drug market.

Sub-populations without lots of poor people and economic disparity don't kill each other and aren't at higher risk than other places with stricter gun laws. In such places poor people kill each other which leads to bad averages.

This shows up in government statistics of murder rates according to race in areas where that correlates with low incomes compared to the population at large.

People like to cite _Handgun Regulations, Crime, Assaults, and Homicides: A Tale of Two Cities_ (Sloan at el) as an example showing how American access to guns makes us less safe than Canadians where similar cities (size, geography, etc) are compared.

Although Seattle and Vancouver are similar cities on opposite sides of the border they have radically different demographics.

At the time of the study white people on both sides of the border had similar economic circumstances and were safer in Seattle with 6.2 murders per 100,000 versus 6.4 per 100,000 in Vancouver.

In Vancouver the minorities were more affluent than average and their murder rates were not out of line with those of the white population. In Seattle the black and Hispanic per-capita incomes from the 2000 census were about half the white population's ( $18,328 and $17,216 respectively vs $35,641) and murder rates consequently many times higher at 36.6 and 26.9 per 100,000.

If people want to reduce those murder rates (as opposed to making themselves feel good or having a policy which retains peoples' confidence in their politicians that are "doing something") they need to address the underlying cause of economic disparity which is educational attainment. Schools with local control and funding where the adults are under educated don't seem to be very successful getting kids there.

Just passing gun laws doesn't help. Jamaica tried a handgun ban in 1974 with warrant-less searches, special gun courts with secret trials, and mandatory life sentences and had their murder rate skyrocket past 60 per 100,000 inhabitants.

Murderers using guns kill one person at a time as opposed to those with gasoline cans that have killed 87 with one act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Land_fire), guys with trucks filled with fuel-oil bombs and 168 dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing), and terrorists flying jets into buildings at 2977 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11#Casualties).

While armed school employees might not stop the first killing, they should be able to keep a shooter from reloading several times.

Nope. But here's a hint. Part of the problem is our legal system. It allows too many violent criminals to commit too many aggressive crimes before they are evn locked up.

Red herring. How many of the many massacre perps had a record of being violent criminals? They are crazy people.

If it isn't guns then it's gonna be knives. I for one would rather be shot to death then butchered to death.

Can't blame the guns for the idiots holding them. Why not ban planes too since they took down the twin towers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ERODZ7eac

Yet another fucking stupid comment.

Yet another fucking stupid comment.

Oh sure, let the children be first target! ;p

If you don't like guns, you have the option to leave America.
Guns don't cause kids to go on killing sprees, it's how they are brought up and can be prevented through a friend...not by banning guns from the 30,000,000 legal gun owners that killed nobody today.

So you're saying kill the children first?
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

So you're saying kill the children first?

Nope. I'm saying that the solution to gun violence is NOT more guns, any more than the solution to rising CO2 in the atmosphere is more cars burning gasoline.

'After 11 years in Policing 2 yrs in prisons and 16 years PSO ing govt buildings I still do not know'... What an assault rifle is.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Nope. But here's a hint. Part of the problem is our legal system. It allows too many violent criminals to commit too many aggressive crimes before they are evn locked up.

Red herring. How many of the many massacre perps had a record of being violent criminals? They are crazy people.

How many people have the many massacre perps killed compared to the numbers that the many violent criminals that already have records that are walking the streets with illegal guns? Pales in comparison I would wager.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

MSNBC Video: Lanza reportedly tried to buy rifle, was denied

Yeah, you want to try that one again, professor?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I guess no one thought about locking the door. OH, just let the elementary school wide open! I can remember when my kids went to elementary school. I had to take something there on day for one of the kids. I walked right in and headed straight to the office and dropped off the item as good parents are suppose to do. Now I could have walked right in, turn to the left, past the gym, down the hall and entered a class room, any classroom at will carrying just about anything I wanted. I could have wheeled a wheelbarrow in there without notice.

Access control should have been in place and I'm surprised since Columebine all schools and universities should be locked down. The bad guys first think about how to get in. If you make it hard, then, it makes there mission more difficult if not impossible.

Try to read up before making snarky comments. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown,_Connecticut_school_shooting#section_2

Calmly discussing or asking gets you much more leeway than being aggressive. Now you look like someone too lazy to check before complaining and acting like you know better.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

'After 11 years in Policing 2 yrs in prisons and 16 years PSO ing govt buildings I still do not know'... What an assault rifle is.

You know what I mean the high cal Military weapons
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

You know what I mean the high cal Military weapons

high cal? Like a .223 or 5.56? how bout a single shot .308 or .338 Lapua?
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

You could be a at your DZ and some wacko gets banned from AFF goes to his vehicle and gets out an assault rifle and lets rip or you go to a theme park and some wacko does not like standing in line. produces a handgun. Or after minor traffic acccident etc.

What's to stop said wacko from going to his vehicle, getting in, starting the ignition and simply running everyone in the packing area over? Same thing in the traffic incident? It's not about the tool. It's about the person. Why won't y'all get this? What about this little black object with brass and lead scares everyone so much to think that someone is just gonna willy-nilly start shooting anytime they want?

- RiggerLee

MSNBC Video: Lanza reportedly tried to buy rifle, was denied

Yeah, you want to try that one again, professor?

OH, then he must have used a knife. No, wait, he got it from his Mom, a gun nut herself.

Wouldn't you think a self-confessed gun enthusiast would have been smart enough to secure her firearms when she knew she had a son with "mental problems" (to quote the gunman's brother). No, neither would I, based on what I see written by gun nuts on here.

You could be a at your DZ and some wacko gets banned from AFF goes to his vehicle and gets out an assault rifle and lets rip or you go to a theme park and some wacko does not like standing in line. produces a handgun. Or after minor traffic acccident etc.

What's to stop said wacko from going to his vehicle, getting in, starting the ignition and simply running everyone in the packing area over? Same thing in the traffic incident? It's not about the tool. It's about the person. Why won't y'all get this? What about this little black object with brass and lead scares everyone so much to think that someone is just gonna willy-nilly start shooting anytime they want?

How many homicides committed with cars last year? How many with guns? See a difference?