jclalor

I Really Hope the news is Wrong...

I believe it is that shift that has caused the reduction in usage. I do not think that simply legalizing it will have the same effect. I also don't think that the strategy adopted by Portugal will ever fly in the US. Look at the anger and dismay of offering public health care in any shape or form. Now imagine proposing free public health care for drug users...

We're halfway to legalization with pot. Looks like a not too bumpy cutover to the rest of the way. Maybe same with E. But yes, if it is more broad (meth, coke, crack, ...), it's no slam dunk and the gains will be outweighed by added costs.

Look up the five stages of grief and you'll see the first is denial. Are you seriously doubting that the Sandy Hook shooting took place?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I made my proposal. Let teachers opt to carry. Give them a chance in hell.

metal detectors could be an answer, but seems like overkill for grade school where this sort of thing is less likely than a tornado ripping it up.

In a more gun deaths focus, legalize drugs.

Legalize drugs? I think prescription drugs are a big part of this problem, so find it interesting you would indicate legalization of drugs as an option to reduce these mass shootings.

so having repeated it again, answer the fucking question already with something that isn't pie in the sky fantasy. We know why you can't...this problem is only easy to solve in theory, where costs don't need to be counted. reality is a bitch.

I don't think reality is a bitch at all. The rest of the western world seems to have figured it out. The US had a shooting in a school, a mall and a movie theatre all in one week alone. Most other western civilized countries don't even have that in a year, or a decade.

So, there is indeed no 100% cure for this. But many other countries have opted to try and reduce these incidents from happening. Most relatively succesful.

What have you (in a general sense) done since Columbine, the various University shootings, Ft. Hood, Aurora? What are you going to do now, after Newtown? Probably nothing meaningful.

On the issue of costs, how incredibly sick is it that you spend trillions on warfare around the globe, but now you are worried about costs to prevent mass shootings in your own country. No wonder your reality is a bitch, your priorities are as fucked up as they get.

actually this is not just an american problem...

And let’s not point fingers at Americans too quickly when it’s time to talk about shootings in schools or universities.

Only one city in North America has had three of them in the last 25 years. And it’s not in “cowboyland” Texas, but right here in Montreal with its shootings at the Polytechnique institute in 1989, Concordia University in 1992 and Dawson College in 2006.

And then we had the shooting outside Pauline Marois; victory party after the quebec election this year -- so let's not get too uppity about things...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Oh, it definitely took place. Just think its rather odd for this guy to be grinning and then when it's time to shoot he puts his game face on as if they guy has been taught in the art of acting.

You want to imply something with your post.

This father, shaken to the marrow, hardly is able to control some kind of automatism when beeing greeted or "invited" for a speech, especially about the death of his little kid....

Incredible, how many idiots spread their sh*t openly. >:(

dudeist skydiver # 3105

His thoughts (and I agree) - "People have an unrealistic expectation of their own abilities in these kinds of high stress situations". Otherwise known as "I wanted too many action movies" :)

We see a lot of that is this very forum. A lot of would-be Rambos post here.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

His thoughts (and I agree) - "People have an unrealistic expectation of their own abilities in these kinds of high stress situations". Otherwise known as "I wanted too many action movies" :)

Ah

your mind reader machine is still broken
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

actually this is not just an american problem...

And let’s not point fingers at Americans too quickly when it’s time to talk about shootings in schools or universities.

Only one city in North America has had three of them in the last 25 years. And it’s not in “cowboyland” Texas, but right here in Montreal with its shootings at the Polytechnique institute in 1989, Concordia University in 1992 and Dawson College in 2006.

And then we had the shooting outside Pauline Marois; victory party after the quebec election this year -- so let's not get too uppity about things...

I agree, happens everywhere...just doesn't seem at the same regularity, or severity.

At least two of those shootings involved legally owned guns too. Seems like a lot of these shootings take place with legally owned firearms, or easily available firearms legally owned by a family member.

Some of us actually train for these ASR scenarios. Part of that is knowing when NOT to shoot. But drawing and showing has an effect too.

Maybe better preparation in the school systems security would be a benefit.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Some of us actually train for these ASR scenarios. Part of that is knowing when NOT to shoot. But drawing and showing has an effect too.

Maybe better preparation in the school systems security would be a benefit.

Matt

I wonder if Lanza knew he could have shot the lock and get in or by chance when he got there the situation was just available. It is believed the shooter in the theater in CO had been to the theater and may had already tried out his plan of jaming the exit door open so that he could return with a gun. Regretably as nutty as our society is, we have to control access points.