DSE

TSA-Mourning bands?

I'm a little puzzled; a TSA screener was wearing a black band on his badge. I asked him "Why the black band?" The answer; "Ugh, I'm not sure, but I think that one of our TSA people died of old age or something."

A-Are TSA now LEO?
B-Isn't the black mourning band symbolic of "fallen in the line of duty?"

A-Are TSA now LEO?

Only in their own minds! The real cops think they're bullshit.

B-Isn't the black mourning band symbolic of "fallen in the line of duty?"

Yup, but they're not cops anyways, so who knows what they think.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Isn't the black mourning band symbolic of "fallen in the line of duty?"

In a word, no. A mouning band can be worn by anyone in mourning for anyone. Its a sign to others that the person is in a period of official mourning. A years ago everyone in mourning wore them. Today you will often see football players wear them for teamates and former club players who have died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sj3_0cmfT4

A-Are TSA now LEO?

What makes you ask?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

In a word, no. A mouning band can be worn by anyone in mourning for anyone. Its a sign to others that the person is in a period of official mourning. A years ago everyone in mourning wore them. Today you will often see football players wear them for teamates and former club players who have died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sj3_0cmfT4

A-Are TSA now LEO?

What makes you ask?

Those precious badges they all wear. They are just too cute for words.

You're thinking about something slightly different. In this case the mourning band is worn around a police officer's badge.

Example: http://gallery.f8industries.net/albums/userpics/10001/normal_F8Industries-funeral-0003.jpg
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've seen RMCP wearing similar ribbons, and others. It's not just a US thing, but I think it started there and it's most followed there. And for the black band worn around a badge, it's meant for LEOs fallen inthe line of duty. Not everyone limits it to that, but what custom is followed 100% properly anywhere?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I've seen RMCP wearing similar ribbons, and others. It's not just a US thing, but I think it started there and it's most followed there. And for the black band worn around a badge, it's meant for LEOs fallen inthe line of duty. Not everyone limits it to that, but what custom is followed 100% properly anywhere?

I agree; customs sometimes stray. However. TSA does wear a badge, even tho they're not sworn, certified law enforcement.
For them to wear a black mourning band on their badges is little different than some guy dressing up in military dress and pretending to be a veteran.
It's about respect, I suppose.

"Ugh, I'm not sure, but I think that one of our TSA people died of old age or something."

mourning is one thing.
wearing a mournining symbol for some reason/person you don't know/don't care about [:/]:|:S[:/]
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM