RonD1120

Liberal Tyranny

I'm not aware of any university that forces anyone to enroll in any degree programs or majors. To the best of my knowledge, students are free to choose the school they want to attend (assuming they can afford it), and the major or degree they want to pursue. How can there be "tyranny" when students are free to take or not take those majors/courses as they wish? How can simply offering choices be construed as "tyranny"? Does the fact that dropzones offer an opportunity to skydive somehow mean that they are forcing people who would rather play golf to jump from planes against their wishes?

No, rather the NAS, you, and people of your ilk would prefer to impose censorship, requiring that university courses pass your litmus tests for "ideological purity". You are the tyrants, because you seek to prevent people from being exposed to ideas that challenge your perspective and power. In the 1950s and early 1960s people of your ilk purged universities of professors who supported civil rights, including the right to attend university, for non-whites. The University of Georgia briefly lost accreditation because the governor took over the university just to fire any faculty who supported integration. This is the sort of action that the NAS, you, and people of your ilk demand: ideological purity so students never hear anything except what you want them to hear.

I personally think that some of the things that are taught in some courses is nonsense. I have heard that some people in Women's Studies hold that DNA and modern genetics are white male power play intended to hold women subservient to science. I would not advocate censoring such speech, though; instead I believe that education about the real nature and motives of science, including the fact that much of what we know about biology in general and genetics in this particular case was discovered by women scientists, is the appropriate response.

Ron, do you disagree that ultimately we are better off when people can discuss a variety of conflicting ideas, weigh them and the evidence in support of or against them, and choose to follow the ones that they think are most correct? Or do you believe that some old fossils should be able to decide what ideas get discussed and what ones don't? How can anyone who claims to be a patriotic American also claim that freedom of speech applies only to speech they agree with?

Don

When I was in the business college at USF, 1968 grad, the liberal philosophy was taught liberally. When in the MA program it was the main theme. I bought into it for many years. Life experience taught me better and I became conservative.

Although I have grandchildren in university, if anyone asks my opinion, I tell them they are better off to learn a good trade. They will likely make more money and be much happier.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

At some higher learning schools, you can learn that humans and dinosaurs roamed a 8,000 year old earth hand in hand. What's your point??

The country is dividing and separating. There are strong feelings on both sides.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

When I was in the business college at USF, 1968 grad, the liberal philosophy was taught liberally. When in the MA program it was the main theme. I bought into it for many years. Life experience taught me better and I became conservative.

Although I have grandchildren in university, if anyone asks my opinion, I tell them they are better off to learn a good trade. They will likely make more money and be much happier.

Way to duck Don's very clear and honest questions to you in the last paragraph of his post.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

With the re-election of Barack Obama we can expect gleeful liberal professors to shift into high gear in advancing their Marxist agendas.

Lost me right there. Political ignorance personified by the idiot who wrote this who thinks that liberals and Marxists are the same thing. Clear they have no idea or either liberal politics or Marxism. Total drivel.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

if anyone asks my opinion, I tell them they are better off to learn a good trade. They will likely make more money and be much happier.

Very possibly correct, almost certainly they'll make more money unless you're studying medicine or possibly law. As for the happiness bit, well that has nothing to do with money once you've covered the basics.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I'm not aware of any university that forces anyone to enroll in any degree programs or majors. To the best of my knowledge, students are free to choose the school they want to attend (assuming they can afford it), and the major or degree they want to pursue. How can there be "tyranny" when students are free to take or not take those majors/courses as they wish? How can simply offering choices be construed as "tyranny"? Does the fact that dropzones offer an opportunity to skydive somehow mean that they are forcing people who would rather play golf to jump from planes against their wishes?

Ron obviously can't handle the free existence of contrary opinions. he won't be happy until only the voices of his fellow wussified conservatives are heard;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Addressed to no-one in particular: only the brain damaged would believe a load of drivel like that.

Drivel yes, to be specific I think that for an article of this level of nonsense the technical name is... Doodoo.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

San Francisco or Southern Florida?

I can't see where the author attended or taught, which may be revealing. But instead it leads me to think he's just another actor in the entertainment business, happy to say shit he knows is false. I went to one of the most famous commie bastions of academia and reality is nothing like what he and you assert. It's been the common lamentation of the right since the 60s...were it true, wouldn't we have already collapsed with 50 years (2 full generations) of brainwashed youth? No...the Boomers have been running america for a good while now.

There certainly can be a good, honest living in the trades. But I suspect those who are very successful at it would have succeeded in the collegiate path as well. The risk in the trades is that they may be rendered irrelevant by change (painters, piano tuners, photographers) and have to start over in their 40s or 50s. It's a lot harder to do when you spent your entire life on that specific niche. It's hard enough for professionals.

What I find amusing is that of the three new posts, the one by Bill Whittle was the most erudite. However, the Radicals present chose to jump on the two that were the most humorous or questionable. It just makes me wonder what we are coming to as a nation. About half are extremely angry and the other half look down on them as if their feelings are not justified. I believe the s*** is going to hit the fan. There is no spirit of compromise on any level, especially in Washington D.C.

So... the fact that you troll the forum woth inflamatory commentary that you know to be nonsense, just so you can get a rise out of people, reflects badly on other posters?

That's one way of looking at it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

if anyone asks my opinion, I tell them they are better off to learn a good trade. They will likely make more money and be much happier.

Very possibly correct, almost certainly they'll make more money unless you're studying medicine or possibly law. As for the happiness bit, well that has nothing to do with money once you've covered the basics.

Right up to the point they hit the ceiling that requires a degree for advancement. Then they get to discover the unhappiness of never being promoted again or going back to school while trying to maintain whatever career you started.

Get your degree first, you can always "learn a good trade" when you are out of college and that degree will help you get promotions the mere 'tradesmen' arent qualified for due to its lack.

Right up to the point they hit the ceiling that requires a degree for advancement. Then they get to discover the unhappiness of never being promoted again or going back to school while trying to maintain whatever career you started.

Get your degree first, you can always "learn a good trade" when you are out of college and that degree will help you get promotions the mere 'tradesmen' arent qualified for due to its lack.

What sort of promotion will an electrician or a plumber get with a BA in history?

These people are most successful as sole proprietary businesses. I'm in escrow and have been paying good money to people to do home and sewer line inspections, and later for electrical work. One was a family (father and son) business pair, the other looked like a older man with a younger apprentice.

Their success comes from knowing their trade, delivering a good customer experience (esp when realtors are involved - significant repeat business potential), and running their business well. College experience may refine some traits, but for the most part these are innate personality traits and intelligence.

The last factor for success is continued demand for their services, and not having too much supply. This is the primary risk. With a good Canon or Nikon kit costing a few grand, too many people want to be a pro photographer. It's much tougher to make a living now. But those willing to do the hard skilled work like plumbing that most people would rather not, they should do fine.

For an increasing number of major corporations having a degree (pretty much ANY degree) is a prerequisite for anything in management. Sure if the electrician or plumber wants to be a worker drone their entire life they don't need a degree, but if you want to stop crawling through attics and under sinks before you are 64 and get to the larger salary structures (and often the extended benefits that go with it) you aren't getting looked at ever until you have the lambskin.

For an increasing number of major corporations having a degree (pretty much ANY degree) is a prerequisite for anything in management. Sure if the electrician or plumber wants to be a worker drone their entire life they don't need a degree, but if you want to stop crawling through attics and under sinks before you are 64 and get to the larger salary structures (and often the extended benefits that go with it) you aren't getting looked at ever until you have the lambskin.

Yes, but that's a very different topic - it was written that they can make good money, and you said until they wanted advancement. Now you're saying if they want advancement after abandoning their profession for a corporate life. Which is true, but getting higher salaries in a profession entered in their 40s or 50s is extremely challenging anyway. It may take a decade or two just to catch up to where they were as experienced trademen, and perhaps longer then they have left.

BTW, you have to also measure the direct and opportunity costs of going to college, esp if it's just to have a backup option later in life. 4 fewer years of experience means less money for a long time. (This is also frequently seen for people with master's degrees earning less than those with bachelor's or doctorates - the time lost outweighs the gain)

I believe the s*** is going to hit the fan. There is no spirit of compromise on any level, especially in Washington D.C.

From the outside looking in I'd say I have to agree with that statement.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca