Wanna see a picture of a steaming turd?

I don't understand the concept.
even if you dislike the military and what they may represent, the dead deserve respect, and even if what she is doing is "a joke to gain popularity with her Facebook friends", this is just distateful.
She deserves ignorance. :|

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

It is a joke based on the dichotomy between the sign and the actions of the person.

Bad taste...yeah probably...but then many jokes are in bad taste. If you ever talk to the girl, she would probably say that the action itself had nothing to do with the location but only with the words on the sign.

She's just exercising her 1st Amendment right to freedom of expression.

Not really. There are some pretty specific rules surrounding that ground. I'm sure that had she actually screamed and flipped people off from there she would have felt the wrath of the guards. There is a small room that the guards do a last minute check before stepping out. No one can see what's happening...no one.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

She's just exercising her 1st Amendment right to freedom of expression.

And she got put on administrative leave pending her actions due to the fact that someone exercised their 1st Amendment rights to do a Facebook page on her actions. But it's not that.

No. She specifically states that she was doing her usual "photo doing the opposite of what a sign says". There was no exercising of anything going on here.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

From her employer's facebook page, quote:

"On Nov. 19 at approximately 6 p.m., we became aware that one of our employees had posted an offensive, inappropriate photograph on her personal Facebook page. The photo was taken at a national historic site in October by a fellow employee during a trip to Washington, D.C. attended by 40 residents and eight staff. The photo has since been removed from Facebook, and both employees have been placed on unpaid leave pending the results of an internal investigation.

This photograph in no way reflects the opinions or values of the LIFE organization, which holds our nation’s veterans in the highest regard. We are proud to have veterans serving on our staff and board of trustees, and we value their service. The men and women who have selflessly fought and sacrificed their lives to protect the rights and lives of Americans deserve our utmost respect and gratitude. We are acutely aware that this photo has done a disservice to veterans and we are deeply saddened that it was taken and shared in a public medium."

https://www.facebook.com/LIFECapeCod?ref=ts

It was just a personal photo, and not done to represent the company for which she works. She didn't wear a staff shirt or anything. So I think they're out of line laying her off work for something she did as a private citizen.

I can see where it would be fun getting pictures of yourself violating signs: Walking on grass behind a "don't walk on grass" sign; going into a restaurant shirtless behind a "no shirts, no service" sign, etc.

In fact, I kind of like this woman's spirit for such a theme, and she's probably a lot of fun to hang out with. She'd make a good skydiver!

It was just a personal photo, and not done to represent the company for which she works. She didn't wear a staff shirt or anything. So I think they're out of line laying her off work for something she did as a private citizen

She was on a company sponsored trip. The company has a right to dicipline an employee action that might cause them to lose business.

I can see where it would be fun getting pictures of yourself violating signs: Walking on grass behind a "don't walk on grass" sign; going into a restaurant shirtless behind a "no shirts, no service" sign, etc.

Me too. But it's not fun for the businesses whose paying guests have to experience that, and it's not a joke for those who actually tend the grass.

In fact, I kind of like this woman's spirit for such a theme, and she's probably a lot of fun to hang out with. She'd make a good skydiver!

Sure. After all, there are some outstanding skydivers who are total douches.

Breaking the rules for the sake of breaking the rules as an Antiauthoritarian attitude is essentially a douchebag move. If you are against something, effect change at the source instead of causing headaches for others in the spirit of "flexing your rights".

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

From her employer's facebook page, quote:

"On Nov. 19 at approximately 6 p.m., we became aware that one of our employees had posted an offensive, inappropriate photograph on her personal Facebook page. The photo was taken at a national historic site in October by a fellow employee during a trip to Washington, D.C. attended by 40 residents and eight staff. The photo has since been removed from Facebook, and both employees have been placed on unpaid leave pending the results of an internal investigation.

This photograph in no way reflects the opinions or values of the LIFE organization, which holds our nation’s veterans in the highest regard. We are proud to have veterans serving on our staff and board of trustees, and we value their service. The men and women who have selflessly fought and sacrificed their lives to protect the rights and lives of Americans deserve our utmost respect and gratitude. We are acutely aware that this photo has done a disservice to veterans and we are deeply saddened that it was taken and shared in a public medium."

https://www.facebook.com/LIFECapeCod?ref=ts

It was just a personal photo, and not done to represent the company for which she works. She didn't wear a staff shirt or anything. So I think they're out of line laying her off work for something she did as a private citizen.

In our profession, one of the things we look at when considering employing an individual is if they have a facebook page. As an example, a individual with a great resume and schooling applied for a PE position with our firm. After we began the interview process, we looked at his Face Book page.

His facebook page was full of questionalble behavior, and thus he was excluded from our selection pool. Funny thing is he will never know that his facebook page was the reason he didn't get offered the job at $90,000 Plus.

Breaking the rules for the sake of breaking the rules as an Antiauthoritarian attitude is essentially a douchebag move. If you are against something, effect change at the source instead of causing headaches for others in the spirit of "flexing your rights".

You mean like Rosa Parks, Martin King, Henry Thoreau and Mahatma Gandhi?
Were they douchebags?

just plain bad taste.

It may have been done as a joke (which I doubt), but if so, it was tasteless.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Were they douchebags?

You serious? Those were famous people that got recoginzed for doing something important. You think that girl was like any of the above you mentioned? She some sort of hero at their caliber? None you mentioned above was some silly "antiauthoritarian" who got negative attention for being stupid. They actually did something important. One didn't want trouble, One actually got out and created an organization to challenge unfairness, one used a considerable amount of personal dicipline and education to stand up to the Brits, one was published.

Were they douchebags?

You serious? Those were famous people that got recoginzed for doing something important. You think that girl was like any of the above you mentioned? She some sort of hero at their caliber? None you mentioned above was some silly "antiauthoritarian" who got negative attention for being stupid. They actually did something important. One didn't want trouble, One actually got out and created an organization to challenge unfairness, one used a considerable amount of personal dicipline and education to stand up to the Brits, one was published.

The original "Breaking the rules" poster made no distinction in his comment regarding the importance of the rule being broken.

And those people I mentioned weren't all that famous until AFTER they had won their cause.

There shouldn't be separate more lenient rules for law-breaking just for famous people.

Were they douchebags?

The original "Breaking the rules" poster made no distinction in his comment regarding the importance of the rule being broken.

And those people I mentioned weren't all that famous until AFTER they had won their cause.

There shouldn't be separate more lenient rules for law-breaking just for famous people.

So carpediem3, What exactly was her cause?
Trail mix? Oh, you mean M&M's with obstacles.

Probably humor. Also free speech and freedom of expression.

Guys like Lenny Bruce and George Carlin have pissed off a lot of people using those two things also. And in doing so, they changed laws about censorship.

A lot of people probably called them "steaming turds" too for their rude profanity.

There are some pretty specific rules surrounding that ground.

I'm pretty sure that the Constitution trumps such "specific rules" whenever the two are inconsistent.

Pretty sure you've never visited the Tomb of the Unknowns.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Probably humor. Also free speech and freedom of expression.

Guys like Lenny Bruce and George Carlin have pissed off a lot of people using those two things also. And in doing so, they changed laws about censorship.

A lot of people probably called them "steaming turds" too for their rude profanity.

You're defending a woman who has openly admitted it was a mistake and what she did was wrong. There was no cause she was doing this for it was disrespectful plain and simple. Insulting the dead who don't have the ability to challenge you is about as cowardly as it gets.

There are some pretty specific rules surrounding that ground.

I'm pretty sure that the Constitution trumps such "specific rules" whenever the two are inconsistent.

Pretty sure you've never visited the Tomb of the Unknowns.

And clearly you've never read the Constitution. :S
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Insulting the dead who don't have the ability to challenge you is about as cowardly as it gets.

I wonder what is more cowardly....making fun of a sign at the wrong place, or pissing on a corpse.

That was just as wrong, so I don't see how it's relevant here. I'm going to assume by your posts that you've never served in the military and therefore have never seen the atrocities committed by America's enemies to their own people or our soldiers when captured unless it's reported on one of the major news channels. We could go back and forth all day about people doing wrongs on both sides but that doesn't excuse her actions which is what we are currently talking about. If you would like to discuss what those Marines did start a threat. Otherwise stop defending a woman who has openly admitted she was wrong.

On a side note if you have ever had anyone try and kill you and were able to kill them instead and have some inkling into the emotions, Adrenalin, and feelings that come with that kind of experience I'd love to hear how you reacted when the fight was over. I've worked as a firefighter and an EMTI and have seen a person who's house was on fire running out of it with a box of cereal because in the moment that's what they felt was important. I find it ironic that many people with strong opinions that are anti military and war have never been in either and therefore are speaking with second hand knowledge and yet still think they know more about whats going on than the people who are actually there. I am quite sure that these dead soldiers never did anything to this woman and therefore fail to see how the actions of those Marines is in any way relevant to this discussion. 99% percent of the things I saw in both Iraq and Afghanistan committed by the enemy (to their own people) I won't even include the American soldiers, was so horrific! It wasn't allowed to be put on the news. I am not talking about things others told me happened I am talking about things I actually saw and people I actually spoke to. If these images and videos were allowed to be broadcast two things would happen. One, the general public would be traumatized for life and two, outrage would ensue. Now it would only be in the form of letters and emails and phone calls screaming for something to be done, but when those same people were asked to go fix it themselves I'm sure the majority would decide that voicing their opinion was as far as they were willing to take it. I will sit here and discuss all day with you our differences of opinion and we can part ways when it's over. If you think for one second the enemies of this country would afford you the same luxury I suggest you go talk to Daniel Pearl and see what he has to say about how they will treat you. By the way I think the video of him getting his head cut off while he is still alive with his hands tied behind his back trumps both what this woman did and what those Marines did. But again we are discussing what she did and it was wrong plain and simple.