CarpeDiem3

Going off half-cocked

What about this?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/15/health/deadly-dose-jackson-rummler/index.html?hpt=us_t3

Wouldn't happen if prescription drugs weren't laying around everywhere.

Looks suspiciously like the "Two wrongs make a right" fallacy.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Absolutely not. What I am saying is there isn't anyone blaming the drug for the problem in that case. They are both horrible things that have happened but the people are to blame not the objects that caused their deaths. There are also just as strict laws on prescription drug and those laws aren't helping the situation at all.

I guess what I'm saying is people need to take responsibility for their actions. It is the person who is ultimately responsible. If the person is underage then they have gotten them illegally. I lock up all my guns so unless you break into my safe your not getting one. I know very few people who lock up their prescription drugs when they have children in the house.

Again my point was if some person gets a hold of a canopy that is heavily wingloaded, gun, prescription drug and then gets hurt it is ultimately their fault when something bad happens. If it is an item assigned to someone such as a gun or prescription drugs and it is found in the hands of someone other than the owner, it is the owner who should be found responsible. Laws will not solve the problem here. We have laws on illegal drugs and they are still an epidemic in this country. They are completely outlawed for the most part but are more available than a firearm. So why would anyone think that gun laws will fix the problem. Stupid fixes itself which is evident in the story that prompted this thread.
Trail mix? Oh, you mean M&M's with obstacles.

What about this?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/15/health/deadly-dose-jackson-rummler/index.html?hpt=us_t3

Wouldn't happen if prescription drugs weren't laying around everywhere.

Looks suspiciously like the "Two wrongs make a right" fallacy.

No, it's a reduction to absurdity which is not a logical fallacy. His argument is not attempting to justify the outcome of the first tragedy.

We don't let 16-year-olds have liquor and cars. But we let them have guns

18 to buy a long gun and 21 to buy a handgun.

You should have emphasized the word "buy". They don't have to be that old to possess or shoot one. 16-year-olds can run around in the woods with a gun, perfectly legal. But we don't trust those same kids to have alcohol. Seems like a disparity to me.

You should have emphasized the word "buy". They don't have to be that old to possess or shoot one.

You said OWN. A 16 year old hunting is hunting under supervision in most States.

But we don't trust those same kids to have alcohol. Seems like a disparity to me.

Well, then you are either just trolling or do not understand basic logic. Alcohol is proven to CAUSE problems no matter what activity.

A gun is an object that is misused for evil actions. Blaming the gun for the ACT of a person is like blaming a spoon because someone is fat.

You want to stop the ACT of murder, you have to focus on the ACT - Not the tool. That would be like trying to ban spoons to prevent obesity in the US... It is just not going to work.

You should have emphasized the word "buy". They don't have to be that old to possess or shoot one.

You said OWN. A 16 year old hunting is hunting under supervision in most States.

But we don't trust those same kids to have alcohol. Seems like a disparity to me.

Well, then you are either just trolling or do not understand basic logic. Alcohol is proven to CAUSE problems no matter what activity.

A gun is an object that is misused for evil actions. Blaming the gun for the ACT of a person is like blaming a spoon because someone is fat.

You want to stop the ACT of murder, you have to focus on the ACT - Not the tool. That would be like trying to ban spoons to prevent obesity in the US... It is just not going to work.

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

[replyJust a 16-year-old shooting himself in the face. No big deal! Happens everywhere!

It wouldn't happen if guns weren't lying around loose all over...

I visited many locations over the past few weeks, and nowhere at or between any of those locations was a single gun "lying loose all over" anywhere. Please tell me where you have witnessed such a thing- I want to go there.

Here's another good reason not be carrying guns around:

"Michigan man shoots himself in the penis"
http://www.examiner.com/article/michigan-man-shoots-himself-the-penis

If your gun goes off half-cocked, you might spend the rest of your life with half a cock.

You're more likely to shoot your own dick, then some terrorist.

Some moron shooting himself in the penis should not be reason for anybody to do or not do anything at all. If you start down that road, any and every action can be interpreted as a reason to modify a person's behavior.

If I sneezed on a Tuesday, would your reaction be
'Everybody should carry a hanky all the time, especially on Tuesdays!" ????

NO 16 year old should have access to a firearm! If that happens the OWNER of that firearm should be brought up on charges. That is an example of an uneducated gun owner.

With great power comes great responsibility and I find it ironic that just about every politician out there who is anti gun walks around with armed guards to protect him or her.

Only an uneducated 16 year old should be forbidden to use a firearm. What is the problem with teaching and instilling safe gun handling and procedures at a young age? If a child is taught to respect and care for a firearm, they are much less likely to misuse one or cause an accident due to lack of knowledge or experience. I have seen 12 year olds handle full size handguns better than half the people that frequent my local indoor range. It all depends on the child, their parents, and how much time and energy the parents are willing to devote to ensuring proper handling skills are learned and retained.

The first video is of a child who obviously has been taught how to handle a firearm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei_m1mesIo4

The second video is of a grown man who needs to be treated like a child.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nskGiFrnxB8

NO 16 year old should have access to a firearm! If that happens the OWNER of that firearm should be brought up on charges. That is an example of an uneducated gun owner.

Only an uneducated 16 year old should be forbidden to use a firearm. What is the problem with teaching and instilling safe gun handling and procedures at a young age? If a child is taught to respect and care for a firearm, they are much less likely to misuse one or cause an accident due to lack of knowledge or experience. I have seen 12 year olds handle full size handguns better than half the people that frequent my local indoor range. It all depends on the child, their parents, and how much time and energy the parents are willing to devote to ensuring proper handling skills are learned and retained.

when I read "access to a firearm," I take that to mean at any time the 16yo sees fit, rather than under the supervision of an adult at the firing range. In between would telling the 16yo they can access it in time of emergency.

>Only an uneducated 16 year old should be forbidden to use a firearm.

I agree. Along with your statement, though, comes the idea that some 16 year olds SHOULD be forbidden to use firearms. I also agree with that; it is up to their parents, not them. The parents are the ones responsible for ensuring that the kid knows how to handle a gun and has the emotional maturity to use it.

Your stance of no youth having guns EVER is pointless. The last time I checked young people absorb more knowledge than older folks do. If they are taught right from the beginning by an experienced individual they can do everything adults do. You know my neighbor's daughter is 16...she got a 16 guage shotgun for her 14th birthday....of course if it was up to you she'd NEVER have that gun. Now she is on TEAM USA and made the cut to compete in the next olympics in skeet shooting. If it was up to your this girl could have never realized how good she could be. But lets make sure NOBODY gets a gun so YOU can feel safe. Yeah that'll work.