jclalor

Petraeus resigns from CIA

So it looks as if the FBI probe only ended 4 days before the election. Give them a day to brief the President, a day for him to consider, another for him to speak with the President. All things considered, pretty fast resignation.

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/12/15099730-petraeus-revelation-began-as-cyber-harassment-probe-investigation-ended-4-days-before-election?lite
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Maybe I'm missing something, but this whole thing stinks if you ask me:

Chick 1 had an affair with Petraeus
Chick 2 is a Petraeus family friend
Chick 2 goes to her FBI buddy and says "Chick 1 is being mean to me" and all the sudden the FBI has probable cause to search Chick 1's email account???

I'm sure there is plenty that is being left out of the NY Times articles I have read, but I don't know of any Judge who would sign a warrant based on a cat fight.

Like I said, this whole thing stinks and I think it's mostly from the 4th Amendment being shat upon.

Correction: Chick 2 did not initially know who wrote the emails...which makes the overreach even more troubling.

the 4th Amendment being shat upon.

As a lawyer who's dealt extensively 4th Amendment issues for over 25 years (mostly on the defense side), I personally don't think this smells like a case of it being shat upon.

(That's the short version. I'm pretty tired right now. Maybe tomorrow I'll give the longer version.)

I'll be interested in reading your reply. You may be right but remember, at the time they searched Chick 1's email account, all they had was six emails from one civilian biographer to another civilian (not professionally associated with Patreaus or in government service in any way) aggressively telling her to stop flirting with him.

It's been a while since I've been in the game, but every Federal Magistrate or Judge I've ever known would have laughed me out of their office.

Petraeus is a man of honor.

Bullshit, if he were a man of honor, he would not have had the affair to begin with.

He knew better,

And yet, he had an affair anyway.

and is taking full responsibility without batting an eye.

Had he not been exposed, he would not had said a word and would be hoping that his affair would never come to light.
Honorable? Bullshit. He cheated on his wife, he lied to his wife and, he tried to cover his trail of deceit until he was caught. No honor in that.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Do you really think FBI personnel were investigating the DCI concerning black-mailable clearance-relevant conduct without the AG and POTUS being fully aware?

AG would have known. POTUS is questionable.

You may want to look at the changes made to procedures after Nixon.

He cheated on his wife, he lied to his wife and, he tried to cover his trail of deceit until he was caught.

Assumptions at this point. His wife may have been aware and approved.

If his wife approved, then (A) why did he use a gmail account with a fake name and (B) why did he resign?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

If his wife approved, then (A) why did he use a gmail account

Doubt his wife had access to his work email account anywas, so that is a bit of a moot point. He could just as easily have wanted to hide it from his employer.

(B) why did he resign?

He personalyl answered that question. because it would have been seen as improper for somebody lower on the fopochain to have an extramarital relationship, and he wanted to be held to a higher standard.

I am not arguing that his wife definitely knew. Just that there is no evidence to suggest she didn't know, at this point.

House majority leader Eric Cantor talked to an FBI official in late October about former CIA Director David Petraeus' involvement in an affair, a spokesman for the congressman told CNN Sunday.
Doug Heye said Cantor had a conversation with the whistleblower about the affair and national security concerns involved in the matter.
The New York Times reported Saturday that on October 31, Cantor's chief of staff phoned the FBI to inform the agency about the call between the congressman and the FBI official. The Times reported Cantor learned of the whistleblower through Rep. Dave Reichert, R-Washington.

One would think that this little detail should shut up all of the wild conspiracy theories being put forth in the media.

BTW, I'm fairly sure that he will be testifying next week.

Right. The fact that an FBI agent risked his career going whistleblower because he was worried the whole thing was being hushed up is totally a reason to believe a president and his cabinet were telling the truth.

And of course it all has nothing to do with questionable CIA activities in Libya, the president and his UN ambassador/future SecState lying about the attack, or the timing of resigning after the election but before testimony. Totally unconnected. You must be nanothermite-illuminati-Rothschild crazy to think there could ever be the slightest connection or relationship.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Right. The fact that an FBI agent risked his career going whistleblower because he was worried the whole thing was being hushed up is totally a reason to believe a president and his cabinet were telling the truth.

Wow, you know the person's motivation. Impressive.

In the end was there a national security issue? Cause it is normal for FBI and DOJ not to brief the White House on criminal investigations.

Wow, you know the person's motivation. Impressive.

Petraeus hoped affair would stay secret and he could keep his job as CIA director. Now tell me again how he resigned because it was the honorable thing to do.

Seattle Times and NBC article that mention the unnamed FBI whistleblower was concerned about potential cover up.

Don't go calling people conspiracy nuts or accuse them of making up unknown motivations unless you actually know what you're talking about.

In the end was there a national security issue? Cause it is normal for FBI and DOJ not to brief the White House on criminal investigations.

It is not normal for FBI and DOJ to investigate the DCI without AG, POTUS, and DNI being made aware of it. There are also questions being raised about whether or not the FBI artificially extended the investigation to prevent closing the case and requiring that it be passed to POTUS "officially."
witty subliminal message
1*

Don't go calling people conspiracy nuts or accuse them of making up unknown motivations unless you actually know what you're talking about.

Shall I call them stupid instead?

If the Speaker of the House (GOP) knew about it well before the election, then clearly the story about this being delayed for Obama's benefit is a pile of horseshit.

And if he testifies, then the story about him leaving to avoid telling embarrassing truths is also more lies. Though I think we could call that already - the Administration already dodged a similar event when Obama shut down the Fast n Furious hearings with executive priviledge - he could do it again.

It amazes me that a man who otherwise seems so on point would commit any such damning details to email.

Having the affair is bad enough, but somewhat understandable. Being so stupid as to leave such an obvious trail of evidence ("explicit e-mail exchanges between Petraeus and Broadwell") just boggles the mind for a man in his position. That alone makes me question how effective he really was as DCI. Its beyond a rookie mistake...

It amazes me that a man who otherwise seems so on point would commit any such damning details to email.

Having the affair is bad enough, but somewhat understandable. Being so stupid as to leave such an obvious trail of evidence ("explicit e-mail exchanges between Petraeus and Broadwell") just boggles the mind for a man in his position. That alone makes me question how effective he really was as DCI. Its beyond a rookie mistake...

I understand they actually did some subterfuge here. Email wasn't always sent, it was composed and left as a draft, and then the other person would log into the same gmail account to read it.

It is not normal for FBI and DOJ to investigate the DCI without AG, POTUS, and DNI being made aware of it.

Who said AG wasn't aware?

And it is normal for the White House not to be informed of criminal investigations. Policy was even further explained and stressed during the Bush era.

unless you actually know what you're talking about.

From the NBC Article:

"I was contacted by an FBI employee concerned that sensitive, classified information may have been compromised and made certain (FBI Director Robert) Mueller was aware of these serious allegations and the potential risk to our national security,” Cantor said in a statement.

Cover up, national security risk, or cover up of a national security risk? All very vague, yet you seem to know exactly what the motivation was.

And of course it all has nothing to do with questionable CIA activities in Libya, the president and his UN ambassador/future SecState lying about the attack, or the timing of resigning after the election but before testimony. Totally unconnected. You must be nanothermite-illuminati-Rothschild crazy to think there could ever be the slightest connection or relationship.

Actually, YOU are coming across as the nanothermite guy.

Since it seems the GOP leadership in the House knew about this in October, claiming a conspiracy to protect the POTUS is just silly.

www.washingtonpost.com/politics/federal_government/house-majority-leader-cantor-heard-of-petraeus-affair-oct-27-from-fbi-source-he-didnt-know/2012/11/12/a3d9d884-2d46-11e2-b631-2aad9d9c73ac_story.html

Even Breitbart and Fox say as much.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

OK, I've waited and watched a few days. Yesterday the new news was Gen. Allen's self-implosion.

Today, it develops that Broadwell took classified documents home with her. She (and possibly Petraeus) could potentially be criminally prosecuted over that.

Anyone still want to argue that there is any "honorable" component here?
Look like Petraeus still will be called to testify before Congress. Let's see if he declines his attorneys' (almost certain) advice to plead the 5th, AND also does not hide behind a congressional testimony immunity deal (the way Ollie North and Adm. Pointdexter did over Iran-Contra). That just might still be honorable. We'll see.