colkikinit

The sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling!

I just wanted to be the first here to say it.

Having lived in a number of countries wherein the economies had collapsed at one point or another, I am acutely aware of the horrors that may ensue.

When the German economy imploded after the Great War, the devastation was hard to imagine. Germany remained a net exporter of food, yet hundreds of thousands died of hunger. The bad craziness that came of this time gave us the Great War, Part II - as well as the Holocaust.

One thing to note is that Germany at that time was not a petroleum-based economy. Rail transport was largely powered by coal or lignite, and horses were responsible for much of the rest.

In the US of A we are in much worse shape than was Germany before its economic collapse. We have been running up a tab for the last forty years with no thought given to balancing the books; if anything, we have come to think of spending money we do not have as a collective birthright. The last two presidents have gone out of their way to establish their legacy as the most profligate national leader in human history - while the last guy was a wastrel of unimaginable proportion, the incumbent has seen fit to make him look like an amateur by comparison.

The election that just took place had qualities that were right out of South Park in terms of the quality of the candidates from which to choose, but there was a single issue that might have made a difference. One of the candidates had a track record of turning a profit on a large scale. In both the private and public sectors he had overseen operations that wound up being fiscally sound. The significance of all other issues pales in comparison to what will happen when we are handed the tab for the last 40 years of spending that we cannot ever afford.

All the fuss about whether I can marry another guy, or whether I will have to carry the baby to term if I get pregnant or whether I can get free medical treatment (and a pony and a puppy...) are truly irrelevant when the dollar reverts to its inherent net worth (zero). This outcome is, of course, inevitable.

Thus "recovery" is effectively impossible, since there is no going back, so our only option was to put someone in charge who would follow Bob Hoover's dictum that one should fly as far through a crash as possible. We have, however, put back in charge someone who is convinced that crashing is impossible, and is intent upon trying to get through a granite cloud by using full power.

The snarky commentary to the effect that we always muddle through after a "disastrous" candidate is elected is demonstrably false. The cumulative damage inflicted by the dunderheads we insist upon putting into high office tends to be permanent, so we conclude that the result is simply the new normal.

At any rate, given that mandatory expenditures, such as entitlements and servicing the artificially cheap national debt, met or exceeded revenues in 2011 for the first time, and every other expenditure made by the Government (Defense and so forth) was made with borrowed money, it will be "interesting" when there is the slightest hiccup in the process of borrowing further money.

You think Katrina or Ike or Sandy involved privation? Buckle up kids, you're in for much, much worse for the whole country, and for years at a stretch. We will look back fondly at the '30s as the "Good Old Days."

I wish I was wrong. It was fun while it lasted.

BSBD,

Winsor

When obama uses the executive order and annoits himself king of america and opens the borders to 20 million illegals and YOUR property gets overrun, I will be surviving in a remote location. When people are asking assistance to survive and mention they voted for obama they will be shot on sight. White liberals sold this country out. I'll still be alive. Dont ask for my motherfucking help.

When obama uses the executive order and annoits himself king of america and opens the borders to 20 million illegals and YOUR property gets overrun, I will be surviving in a remote location. When people are asking assistance to survive and mention they voted for obama they will be shot on sight. White liberals sold this country out. I'll still be alive. Dont ask for my motherfucking help.

Lmao...that's some funny shit.

Lmao...that's some funny shit.

Insane springs to mind.
Performance Designs Factory Team

When the German economy imploded after the Great War, the devastation was hard to imagine. Germany remained a net exporter of food, yet hundreds of thousands died of hunger. The bad craziness that came of this time gave us the Great War, Part II - as well as the Holocaust.

One thing to note is that Germany at that time was not a petroleum-based economy. Rail transport was largely powered by coal or lignite, and horses were responsible for much of the rest.

In the US of A we are in much worse shape than was Germany before its economic collapse. We have been running up a tab for the last forty years with no thought given to balancing the books; if anything, we have come to think of spending money we do not have as a collective birthright. The last two presidents have gone out of their way to establish their legacy as the most profligate national leader in human history - while the last guy was a wastrel of unimaginable proportion, the incumbent has seen fit to make him look like an amateur by comparison.

Do you want a serious breakdown and/or Discussion of the German economy? I know all about its economy from 1919-1945.

You are completely deluded by saying that U.S is anywhere NEAR Post-Great War Germany.

France invaded and occupied the economic area of Germany, forcing Germany to pay for its own coal. Coal was Germany's prevalent source of export. And guess what? In 1923, they actually had to IMPORTERS and buy exclusively their own coal from the French.

We have NOTHING like that.

We don't owe FORCED REPARATIONS to anyone (no, don't even think China is a form of reparations). Germans had to pay until at least the 1980s and even through the 1990s (or that was the plan).

Germany had, in 1934, ONLY ONE WEEK WORTH OF FOREIGN RESERVE CURRENCY .
One week.

The poorest countries in this world today has to have AT LEAST 8 months of foreign reserve. North Korea
is the exception with approx 2 months worth of foreign reserve.

And the U.S? They ARE the foreign reserve.

So really, people have to stop deluding themselves about some impending U.S economic catastrophe.

As Ronald Reagan once said:
"We forget that we only just begun".

Cheers!
Shc

Do you want a serious breakdown and/or Discussion of the German economy? I know all about its economy from 1919-1945.

Thanks, but Economists gravitate to picking flyshit out of pepper, and confuse that tendency with analysis. I have seen examples of what you think you know.

You are completely deluded by saying that U.S is anywhere NEAR Post-Great War Germany.

My point was not that we are NEAR Post-Great Way Germay, it is that we are in Much Worse Shape.

France invaded and occupied the economic area of Germany,

Regardless of the fact that the U.S. prints (or at least generates electronically) the "foreign reserve," everything we have is BORROWED to begin with. The Fed is neither Federal nor a Reserve. The basis for issuance of currency is the 'loan' from the Fed by the 'Mandrake Mechanism,' whereby money is created out of thin air. Not only do we not have X weeks foreign reserve currency, our Treasury has nothing but 40 years of IOUs - for which WE owe, NOT owed to us.

The bottom line is that, whenever the note comes due that we can't quite pay, our entire economic system will consist of a big sucking sound.

BSBD,

Winsor

I just wanted to be the first here to say it.

You think Katrina or Ike or Sandy involved privation? Buckle up kids, you're in for much, much worse for the whole country, and for years at a stretch. We will look back fondly at the '30s as the "Good Old Days."

I wish I was wrong. It was fun while it lasted.

BSBD,

Winsor

+1 Nice Summary. There should be a little more time before the shit hits the economic fan.

It didn't happen for the last 4 years -- why would it start now?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks, but Economists gravitate to picking flyshit out of pepper, and confuse that tendency with analysis. I have seen examples of what you think you know.

My point was not that we are NEAR Post-Great Way Germay, it is that we are in Much Worse Shape.

France invaded and occupied the economic area of Germany,

Regardless of the fact that the U.S. prints (or at least generates electronically) the "foreign reserve," everything we have is BORROWED to begin with. The Fed is neither Federal nor a Reserve. The basis for issuance of currency is the 'loan' from the Fed by the 'Mandrake Mechanism,' whereby money is created out of thin air. Not only do we not have X weeks foreign reserve currency, our Treasury has nothing but 40 years of IOUs - for which WE owe, NOT owed to us.

The bottom line is that, whenever the note comes due that we can't quite pay, our entire economic system will consist of a big sucking sound.

BSBD,

Winsor

Look at the 10 years U.S bonds.
The investors are willing to PAY THE U.S to let them borrow their money.

And frankly, you don't know what you know because you don't know the data. You don't understand them nor do you even remotely make an effort to understand them.

Not only do we not have X weeks foreign reserve currency, our Treasury has nothing but 40 years of IOUs

I don't think you understand that WE are the foreign reserve currency.

for which WE owe, NOT owed to us.

What you described is an economy pegged on gold standard. A country's economy is not your personal credit card -at all-. It doesn't remotely function the same way but people keep on confusing them.

The background information behind the deficits itself are far more important. By your standard, a 250 pounds bodybuilder/weightlifter is considered unhealthy and unfit based on his numerical weight.

Cheers!
Shc

He lives in Canada -- he can laugh the whole time.

Why would he possibly be laughing? He lives in a province that has turned into a economic basket case thanks to a corrupt progressive government that has been in charge for the last decade. Not only that, but he lives in a province that heavily relies on trade with the USA, except that the Democrats are not interesting in trade thanks to their protectionist ideology. Even if they were interested in trade, thanks to the out of control US government deficits and accumulated debt, inflation and a devalued currency will make trade even more expensive to the point where the US could not afford to do trade with his province. No there is not a lot to laugh about these days in Canada's largest province ... unless of course someone happens to be a public sector worker. In which case, yeah those people are laughing ... all the way to the bank.

But I don't have much to laugh about either. It is true the economy of the province I call home is doing a lot better, but I too am ruled by a corrupt progressive government and we simply are not big enough to support the entire country. There is only one province in Canada who is balancing their books, only one province who can call themselves a conservative government and even they can not laugh as they themselves are not big enough to support all the takers.

No when the US goes down due to your unsustainable culture of entitlements (remember the first of the boomers are just now beginning to draw on these entitlements), Canada will fall as well and that is no laughing matter.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling!

Having Puerto Rico as the 51st state won't be so bad.

Or are you talking about something else that happened last night?

:P

Just where is that star going to go on the flag? :P

States will either merge or some may secede... :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.