Opendore

2012 Political Race Thread

Wow, Michelle Bachmann is only ahead by 120 votes.

Omigawd. I would think a dead guy could beat that fruitcake by a landslide.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The Republicans need to do some serious soul searching after 2012, less they go the same route as the Whig party. Like it or not, the US demographics have changed and they aren't ever going back. Keeping the Gingrich's, the Perry's and the Santorum's is never going to get the GOP anything.

They need to evolve.

Even in Australia we get fox news. I cannot wait to get home and see the look on HANITYS FACE.

I ACTUALLY THOUGHT fOX NEWS was a parody when I first watched it (fair and balanced like your kidding) But its not a parody.. call it for what it is

THE GOP CHANNEL

I am glad my favorite second country whom I love to visit will be in OBAMAs hand for 4 more years.

Maybe the country that I saw growing up (who put a man on the moon etc) can return to its former glory. I hope so.. I mean you invented skyhooks and the 3 ring cutaway . I look forward to watching your progress and visiting again. !!

Who knows you might even be able to achieve Universal health care for every one. Something most of the first world has done for years. (over 30 years in Australia and the sky has not fallen in !!)
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

I guess this would apply to this thread:
How does a BO 2nd term affect Hillary '16?

It doesn't. While she would be unquestionably the most experienced person either party could even remotely come up with, I'm pretty sure she's done with campaign politics and to a certain extent the population as a whole is done with both the Clinton and Bush family.

I simply do not see Hillary expressing an interest in running for President ever again.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It doesn't. While she would be unquestionably the most experienced person either party could even remotely come up with,

Biden has her beat. Hell, so does Jeb (8 years as governor beats 6 years as a Senator plus 2 years as a campaigning Senator plus 4 years as a Cabinet member.)

Clinton will be 69 in four years. The system is designed for candidates who are prepared to be president for eight years. She is simply too old. I thought she was the better candidate four years ago and her performance at State only intensified my opinion, but her time has passed.

It doesn't. While she would be unquestionably the most experienced person either party could even remotely come up with,

Biden has her beat. Hell, so does Jeb (8 years as governor beats 6 years as a Senator plus 2 years as a campaigning Senator plus 4 years as a Cabinet member.)

On the org chart, Secretary of State beats those all to hell. Yes, even the VP.
quade -

Even in Australia we get fox news. I cannot wait to get home and see the look on HANITYS FACE.

I ACTUALLY THOUGHT fOX NEWS was a parody when I first watched it (fair and balanced like your kidding) But its not a parody.. call it for what it is

THE GOP CHANNEL

I am glad my favorite second country whom I love to visit will be in OBAMAs hand for 4 more years.

Maybe the country that I saw growing up (who put a man on the moon etc) can return to its former glory. I hope so.. I mean you invented skyhooks and the 3 ring cutaway . I look forward to watching your progress and visiting again. !!

Who knows you might even be able to achieve Universal health care for every one. Something most of the first world has done for years. (over 30 years in Australia and the sky has not fallen in !!)

-------------------------------------------------
Maybe the country that I saw growing up (who put a man on the moon etc

you must not pay that much attention.

the obama administration nixed NASA.

THE GOP CHANNEL

-------------------------------------------------

You aren't entitled to your own facts.

It was Nixon that nixed the Apollo program.:P

Even after adjusting for inflation, NASA's budget is higher under Obama than at any time during Reagan's presidency. Annual averages show NASA's budget higher under both Clinton and Obama than under GWB.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

No, they haven't nixed NASA. There's a cut, but they're still getting almost 18 billion dollars. If we start commercializing some space travel (like servicing the space station), isn't it reasonable to cut the budget?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No, they haven't nixed NASA. There's a cut, but they're still getting almost 18 billion dollars. If we start commercializing some space travel (like servicing the space station), isn't it reasonable to cut the budget?

Wendy P.

What's hilarious is, isn't that exactly what the Republicans say we ought to be doing with government? Reducing government jobs and transferring responsibilities to the private sector?
quade -

NASA is still there, only now they will focus on developing new technologies and on exploration. The business of hauling people and cargo into orbit is being handed over to the private sector, where it should have gone long ago. In fact, the anticompetitive nature of NASA (not ever having to worry about making payroll, or a profit) excluded the private sector from developing space capability as a business.

It's kind of ironic to have a conservative such as yourself taking an anti-business position and arguing in support of a government monopoly in an enterprise that could be done more efficiently by private enterprise. It sort of suggests you might be responding to "gut feelings" rather than any sort of well thought out rational argument.

Don

Which org chart would that be? Not the succession chart. And not the future electability chart.

The one of doing the job closest to the President of the US.

The Secretary of State is, for all practical purposes the "voice" of the President in international affairs. They literally rely on each other to make decisions that affect the entire planet. There is no other job in government that is as close to being the President without actually being the President.
quade -

Which org chart would that be? Not the succession chart. And not the future electability chart.

The one of doing the job closest to the President of the US.

The Secretary of State is, for all practical purposes the "voice" of the President in international affairs. They literally rely on each other to make decisions that effect the entire planet. There is no other job in government that is as close to being the President without actually being the President.

The "voice" isn't quite the same as "decision maker." She does what Obama instructs her to do. Or gets canned.

To repeat, how many presidents in the last century were SecState?